MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Volume 6.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well there's 4 prospects out of 50 and people choose to focus on these for some reason. Instead of asking why I rank X and Y high they ask why I'm a homer and why X and Y isn't higher (usually prospects from their own team)
Roy at 18
Lambert at 43

Lambert drafted a year later, much better year in the AHL, was very impressive in his NHL debut. Much better tools and skater. If Roy weren't a Hab he probably doesn't even crack the top 50, whereas if Lambert were a Hab you'd probably have him top 10.

When you homer rank like that, you really shouldn't be surprised when so many people ridicule your list.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Roy at 18
Lambert at 43

Lambert drafted a year later, much better year in the AHL, was very impressive in his NHL debut. Much better tools and skater. If Roy weren't a Hab he probably doesn't even crack the top 50, whereas if Lambert were a Hab you'd probably have him top 10.

When you homer rank like that, you really shouldn't be surprised when so many people ridicule your list.
Lambert was 0.85ppg against Roy 0.78ppg and Wright 0.79ppg. Lambert's speed and vision are off the charts, while he's actually an inch taller than the other 2 (according to db) and a year younger than Roy. He carried the Manitoba Moose this year but barely cracks the top 50 while Roy is 18 and Wright is 10th. Lambert also went to the Memorial Cup with Seattle last year putting up 26 points in 17 playoff games.

I'd love to hear what more Lambert could have done in the past year and a half.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Lambert was 0.85ppg against Roy 0.78ppg and Wright 0.79ppg. Lambert's speed and vision are off the charts, while he's actually an inch taller than the other 2 (according to db) and a year younger than Roy. He carried the Manitoba Moose this year but barely cracks the top 50 while Roy is 18 and Wright is 10th. Lambert also went to the Memorial Cup with Seattle last year putting up 26 points in 17 playoff games.

Did he try being a Hab?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Neither is Savoie. Helenius clears Savoie.
Certainly an opinion. If you take the last 3 years at 14, he should be at about 42. Ignoring risers and fallers from previous drafts. You think he is that much better than his draft position?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Roy at 18
Lambert at 43

Roy is 135 days older than Brad.

If all I needed to make a list was a comparison of the current years number, I wouldn't bother making a list. When you say much better tools, do you consider every thing, or did you just really mean that he was a better skater ?

Did you also mean that Brad Lambert was more impressive in his one game and 13 minutes in the NHL than Joshua Roy in 24 games ?

Wouldn't it be funny if the eligible rookie with the 2nd most NHL points didn't make the top 50 ?

Then again, was Roy not a better player than Lambert at the same WJC ? Was Roy not the best player in the Q two years running ? We act as if Roy has no resume meanwhile he's all that.

These PPGS really don't mean much.

Again, he's 135 days younger than Roy. Roy also carried the Laval rockets, and he even carried the 2nd line in the NHL.

There's no denying Lambert is a better skater than Roy and Wright (Though the latter is also a good skater) and there's no denying he's at least a marginally better playmaker and passer, what about the rest of their game ? Surely you won't deny that both other players are, at least, marginally better than Lambert at virtually everything else ?

I do like Lambert a lot anyway and he was surely in contention for every single spot from about spot 15.
Gabe at 48 while Smith and Leonard at 12/13 lol, just screams you didn’t watch any BC games or the WJC.
Yes, I did watch both. Gabe might even be better than both, certainly he is a more impactful player than Leonard at that level and I do prefer his playstyle than Smith. What does that mean for their NHL future ? It's hard to quantify. Do you really think he has a better future than either ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent Nilsson

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City

Please, when you make that kind of statement... make sure you fact check first - especially since you already checked hockeydb for their size. They're a mere ~4 months apart.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Reinbacher should be in the twenties or thirties.

Demidov should be around 5

Roy isn’t a top-50 prospect and Hutson is fine where he is. I don’t like smaller defenders so I’d have him lower but I understand people who have him in that range.
You seem to be fooled by Roy haven been picked in the 5th round. since he was the best player in the Q in his D+1 and D+2 (side note that he was selected 1st OA in the Q). He was a top 3 player for Canada in the U20 world's gold run providing quality two way play, impressed in his first AHL stint and was promoted to the NHL where he posted a very respectable 4 goals and 5 Assists in 23 games. In a redraft of 2021 he most likely goes top 15 and is definitely a top 50 prospect right now

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Roy is 135 days older than Brad.
And is still a draft year ahead of him
If all I needed to make a list was a comparison of the current years number, I wouldn't bother making a list. When you say much better tools, do you consider every thing, or did you just really mean that he was a better skater ?
Better skater, stickhandler, playmaker, puck carrier. And he plays the more important position.
Did you also mean that Brad Lambert was more impressive in his one game and 13 minutes in the NHL than Joshua Roy in 24 games ?
Did I say that? My point was that Lambert came in and looked great in the short amount of time he was allowed to play. Had he played for a basement team like Montreal he surely would have gotten a lot more games.

Wouldn't it be funny if the eligible rookie with the 2nd most NHL points didn't make the top 50 ?
What's funny is that you did exactly that: Josh Doan was t-2nd in NHL points among eligible rookies with Roy, but he did it in less than half the games:

Doan 11gp 5g 9p +6
Roy 24gp 4g 9p -2

Yet somehow he didn't make your list and Roy is 18th lol what a joke. You should feel very silly.

Roy was actually 6th among eligible rookies in points per game that played >5gp behind:

Doan
Wright
Stankoven
Brisson
Luneau

Yet he's ahead of all but one of them on your list. Again, you should feel silly.

Then again, was Roy not a better player than Lambert at the same WJC ? Was Roy not the best player in the Q two years running ? We act as if Roy has no resume meanwhile he's all that.
Those things happened nearly 2 years ago.
Roy also carried the Laval rockets, and he even carried the 2nd line in the NHL.
Roy team ranks:
7th in scoring
9th in ES points
5th in points per game
7th in ES points per game
3rd in goals per game

I would hardly call that "carrying" his team. Meanwhile look what Lambert did while playing the more important (and difficult) position.

Lambert team ranks:
1st in Manitoba scoring
1st in ES points
1st in points per game
1st in ES points per game
1st in goals per game

Having Roy at 18 and Lambert at 43 is a joke of an opinion based on what we saw from them last year.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
And is still a draft year ahead of him

Better skater, stickhandler, playmaker, puck carrier. And he plays the more important position.

Did I say that? My point was that Lambert came in and looked great in the short amount of time he was allowed to play. Had he played for a basement team like Montreal he surely would have gotten a lot more games.

What's funny is that you did exactly that: Josh Doan was t-2nd in NHL points among eligible rookies with Roy, but he did it in less than half the games:

Doan 11gp 5g 9p +6
Roy 24gp 4g 9p -2

Yet somehow he didn't make your list and Roy is 18th lol what a joke. You should feel very silly.

Roy was actually 6th among eligible rookies in points per game that played >5gp behind:

Doan
Wright
Stankoven
Brisson
Luneau

Yet he's ahead of all but one of them on your list. Again, you should feel silly.

Those things happened nearly 2 years ago.

Roy team ranks:
7th in scoring
9th in ES points
5th in points per game
3rd in goals per game

I would hardly call that "carrying" his team. Meanwhile look what Lambert did while playing the more important (and difficult) position.

Lambert team ranks:
1st in Manitoba scoring
1st in ES points
1st in points per game
1st in goals per game

Having Roy at 18 and Lambert at 43 is a joke of an opinion based on what we saw from them last year.
I'm not sure why you're getting so invested into this, but it's worth pointing out that in your assessment of Roy relative to Laval you're including an 8 game sample size from one of the players which is definitely a choice

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Roy at 18
Lambert at 43

“Much better year in the AHL”

Basically identical years, Roy having played fewer AHL games because he played more in the NHL

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
“Much better year in the AHL”

Basically identical years, Roy having played fewer AHL games because he played more in the NHL
Roy team ranks:
7th in scoring
9th in ES points
5th in points per game
3rd in goals per game

Lambert team ranks:
1st in Manitoba scoring
1st in ES points
1st in points per game
1st in goals per game

Lambert was 10% more productive on a less productive team while playing as a 1C. He was very easily the better player in the AHL this year.

I'm not sure why you're getting so invested into this, but it's worth pointing out that in your assessment of Roy relative to Laval you're including an 8 game sample size from one of the players which is definitely a choice
It wasn't a choice, it was something I did quickly because I didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about filtering out exceptions. It's not like Armia wasn't going to outproduce him.

Speaking of choices, of all the things you chose to call out, that's an awfully silly thing to address, as it doesn't change my point at all. He very clearly wasn't carrying Laval, unless being a team worst -17 is "carrying them".

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Roy team ranks:
7th in scoring
9th in ES points
5th in points per game
3rd in goals per game

Lambert team ranks:
1st in Manitoba scoring
1st in ES points
1st in points per game
1st in goals per game

Lambert was 10% more productive on a less productive team while playing as a 1C. He was very easily the better player in the AHL this year.

It wasn't a choice, it was something I did quickly because I didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about filtering out exceptions. It's not like Armia wasn't going to outproduce him.

Speaking of choices, of all the things you chose to call out, that's an awfully silly thing to address, as it doesn't change my point at all. He very clearly wasn't carrying Laval, unless being a team worst -17 is "carrying them".

Imagine being so angry over one player being ranked higher when both are in the 20-40 range anyways - it’s a crapshoot.

Reactions: Wayfarer13

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Because he's obsessed with shitting on the Habs. He made up some injury for Kotkaniemi after saying he was an excellent top 6 center and compared his production to Suzuki by cherry-picking a stretch of games to excuse his dog shit year.

I don't even get how one can compare where each player ranked on team scoring in the AHL when Roy played less than 2/3rds of what Lambert did in the AHL. Roy was driving our dilapidated 2nd line in the NHL even if the stats don't show it, there was no established offensive NHL talent besides our top line and Newhook/Monahan. Not to mention that they were born mere months apart.

I completely understand the argument that they shouldn't be this spread out in terms of ranking, but being outrageously disingenuous in comparisons is not the way to go.

Reactions: Mrb1p

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Because he's obsessed with shitting on the Habs.
I guess that's why I posted the below in the Slafkovsky contract thread earlier today:

There's definitely that possibility, but I think Slaf is more of a late bloomer than a lot of those bigger guys who struggled to progress. I'd be surprised if this was his peak.
After starting the thread saying:
That should age pretty well, congrats Habs fans

Look at all the hate!
I don't even get how one can compare where each player ranked on team scoring in the AHL when Roy played less than 2/3rds of what Lambert did in the AHL
It's almost like I provided their per game numbers as well for just that reason.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Lysell and Roy taken in same draft, but Lysell not even on the list despite Roy being 18? Not trying to nitpick, great respect for putting a list out there, but Lysell’s production has been incredible.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I enjoy reading opinions on prospects no matter how out there it is. But claiming you have eyes on all these players when in reality it's pretty obvious you don't is very silly. It's way easier to just say "didn't get to see this guy much" or "Limited viewings" vs claiming you watched enough games to come away with your own opinion.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Plgilbert89

Jul 10, 2024
Quebec
As a Coyotes/Utah fan Im wondering, how can Reinbacher be 8th and Simashev not there when their ceiling is pretty much the same but Simashevs floor is higher than Reinbacher and his game should translate better in the NHL. Also, you are heavily sleeping on But, he had a really solid season in the KHL playing 8 to 10 minutes per game. Other takes, Stankoven and Lambert should be way higher than that.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad