Speculation: Moving up in the 2024 draft

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He's going to have Foligno on his line another year because Demidov has another year to his contract in Russia. And even then, none of the kids in this year draft should start in the NHL next season. Even Celebrini/his dad have expressed the opinion of playing another year in the NCAA.
i just don't see them skipping on offfense at this point, but who knows. I don't know enough about what's in their pipleline to understand if they need more D or forwards in the next 3 years.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Demidov for sure, imo, if he was in the CHL I think he would be viewed as 50/50 for 1st OA. But if I'm the Hawks no way am I trading down unless it's for a haul.

I'd love Demidov, but I don't think the price that is probably needed to move from 5th to 2nd is worth it.

Reactions: Runner77

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
i just don't see them skipping on offfense at this point, but who knows. I don't know enough about what's in their pipleline to understand if they need more D or forwards in the next 3 years.
Chicago prospect biggest need is RHD, they have 3 of them and only one signed (the other rights expire before next season start too). Their 3 NHL RHD are 29+ years old.

Now that I think about it, Chicago might make a good place to trade Barron too.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Chicago prospect biggest need is RHD, they have 3 of them and only one signed (the other rights expire before next season start too). Their 3 NHL RHD are 29+ years old.

Now that I think about it, Chicago might make a good place to trade Barron too.
But do they make the mistake of not taking BPA instead of by position? I'm not sure... if it was close then yeah take the D. Should be a fun draft to watch

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But do they make the mistake of not taking BPA instead of by position? I'm not sure... if it was close then yeah take the D. Should be a fun draft to watch
Their BPA might be different than ours or that of the big name pundits.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Their BPA might be different than ours or that of the big name pundits.
BPA is most certainly Demidov at 2 I'm pretty sure. I could see the Dman going high but.. that goal scoring.. hard to pass on , unless you are Kent Hughes well.. you know how that went

• Haha

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Demidov isn't a consensus BPA at #2 among NHL scouts, only half of Bob's 10 NHL scouts surveyed had him at #2, the rest had him spread out in the top 10.
Levshnuvo had the next most votes at #2 followed by Silayev. A team could easily see all 3 as equivalent value.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
BPA is most certainly Demidov at 2 I'm pretty sure. I could see the Dman going high but.. that goal scoring.. hard to pass on , unless you are Kent Hughes well.. you know how that went
I can’t wait for Michkov to play in the NHL.

It’s going to sting a lot less if his notoriety is limited to his boot flinging attributes (incident with a shoe store clerk in Nashville before the draft), a known gateway practice to shoving wheelchairs down a stairway.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd love Demidov, but I don't think the price that is probably needed to move from 5th to 2nd is worth it.

Impossible to know the price but I don't think the Habs will go anywhere if they don't somehow land a player like him. I would not be surprised if Demidov ends up better then Celebrini, so I would say that the cost would likely be very much worth it.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Demidov isn't a consensus BPA at #2 among NHL scouts, only half of Bob's 10 NHL scouts surveyed had him at #2, the rest had him spread out in the top 10.
Levshnuvo had the next most votes at #2 followed by Silayev. A team could easily see all 3 as equivalent value.
I would like to know for which team these scouts work because if they are not from team picking top 10.... their opinions is less relevant.

Reactions: montreal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Impossible to know the price but I don't think the Habs will go anywhere if they don't somehow land a player like him. I would not be surprised if Demidov ends up better then Celebrini, so I would say that the cost would likely be very much worth it.
How far would you be willing to go, if you had your druthers?

And if that had any chance of working, makes you wonder what the ask might have been in the 2023 draft when Hughes desperately tried to move up.

Reactions: Gustave

Jul 6, 2016
What’s all the fuss about Silayev ? He is tall ? Right… and then. His stats are super low. How many of us and NHL scouts have seen him play ? Is he the next Chara ? Leshunov is now used to North American ice size and games style and should be picked before him. Even Buium, Parekh or Dickinson should be.

I read a piece about who’s better between Michkov and Demidov. And all the indicators were pointing towards Michkov.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I think that's undervaluing Celebrini a whole lot.

Celebrini in my view will become more valuable than Kucherov and Matthews. Imo he will be in MacKinnon's tier. (Not quite McDavid/Bedard) No one is picking Kucherov over MacKinnon.

Demidov's top potential is Kucherov / Pasta, so I still want him obviously.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How far would you be willing to go, if you had your druthers?

And if that had any chance of working, makes you wonder what the ask might have been in the 2023 draft when Hughes desperately tried to move up.

A long time ago I spoke to the head scout of ISS and he talked about how the scouting world is very small and these guys know each other well so that teams often have a pretty good idea of who teams are looking at say more closely then others. He talked about a player that I forget as this was the 1st year of ISS so going back to 2002, but he said there was a Habs scout and boston scout in the Q, whatever team it was they were shitty and a bit out of the way I believe, but he talked about how the Habs knew that boston was high on this kid cause our scout kept seeing him at the rink and not many other teams scouts where there.

So I do believe that the Habs could have a good idea of who the Hawks, Ducks and Jackets will be looking at most closely. I don't know how deep their info goes on other teams but I would assume they would have a decent handle on it and thus can judge the cost.

If I'm the Habs I would offer a lot to move up but if I'm the Hawks I just take Demidov and run.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What’s all the fuss about Silayev ? He is tall ? Right… and then. His stats are super low. How many of us and NHL scouts have seen him play ? Is he the next Chara ? Leshunov is now used to North American ice size and games style and should be picked before him. Even Buium, Parekh or Dickinson should be.

I read a piece about who’s better between Michkov and Demidov. And all the indicators were pointing towards Michkov.

Demidov for me is a better prospect because I like his game more, Mickhov to me doesn't play the way I would want, have said so many times he reminds me of Caufield just better playmaker. Demidov reminds me so much of Celebrini I think they should be considered on the same tier.

Silayev has scouts interest because of height, mobility, skating are elite. They hope the rest of his game develops. His stats are the best ever in the KHL's history for U-18 skaters.

Reactions: Rozz and Runner77

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I can’t wait for Michkov to play in the NHL.

It’s going to sting a lot less if his notoriety is limited to his boot flinging attributes (incident with a shoe store clerk in Nashville before the draft), a known gateway practice to shoving wheelchairs down a stairway.

Are we talking about Michkov or @OldCraig71 ????

• Wow

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A long time ago I spoke to the head scout of ISS and he talked about how the scouting world is very small and these guys know each other well so that teams often have a pretty good idea of who teams are looking at say more closely then others. He talked about a player that I forget as this was the 1st year of ISS so going back to 2002, but he said there was a Habs scout and boston scout in the Q, whatever team it was they were shitty and a bit out of the way I believe, but he talked about how the Habs knew that boston was high on this kid cause our scout kept seeing him at the rink and not many other teams scouts where there.

So I do believe that the Habs could have a good idea of who the Hawks, Ducks and Jackets will be looking at most closely. I don't know how deep their info goes on other teams but I would assume they would have a decent handle on it and thus can judge the cost.

If I'm the Habs I would offer a lot to move up but if I'm the Hawks I just take Demidov and run.
Would you only move up for Demidov?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Would you only move up for Demidov?

I can only speak to the prospects i've seen, which for the draft is usually very little since my main focus is Laval and the NCAA. I haven't seen a single WHL or QMJHL game this year and didn't see any WHL games last year so I wouldn't say other then the only 2 players I care about us getting are Celebrini or Demidov. I would pay a lot to move up for either, but I also wouldn't expect it to happen since there's almost never trades out of the top 5.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I can only speak to the prospects i've seen, which for the draft is usually very little since my main focus is Laval and the NCAA. I haven't seen a single WHL or QMJHL game this year and didn't see any WHL games last year so I wouldn't say other then the only 2 players I care about us getting are Celebrini or Demidov. I would pay a lot to move up for either, but I also wouldn't expect it to happen since there's almost never trades out of the top 5.
last time I recall is the Canucks moving up to get both Sedins... has there been any since?

Reactions: montreal

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don’t see the point of trading up you get a good player a 5th, I might actually trade down to get asset to than move up with the WPG pick.

Trade down pick Catton and trade up to take Sennecke…

HereInTheNord

Nov 20, 2016
Quebec city
Question here as I have a greedy wet dream. Say we keep the 5 OA, what would be the actual cost to buy 7 or 8 OA ( Winnipeg 1st + Mailloux (+?)). Walking away from this draft with both Lindstrom and Iginla would be something that sets 2nd line for hopefully a long time and let pretty good pieces in system for a strong 3rd line. We can then sign a UFA for like 2-3 years as stopgap in waiting for the kids to be ready. I think the pick would need to be before Calgary as I don't see Iginla going past them, but yeah.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don’t see the point of trading up you get a good player a 5th, I might actually trade down to get asset to than move up with the WPG pick.

Trade down pick Catton and trade up to take Sennecke…

if you believe the posters that think we are a much better team then our record this year, then this might be their last chance to grab a great player which is what they need way more then a good player a 5th OA. They have a ton of assets to move up, as the Habs strength is the depth, but the weakness is the massive lack of high end talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad