OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Well that's not great.

I'm sure fans of the movie will be all over this.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
One of my top 10 favourite movies...

Would love to see Tarantino re-create this movie. He must maintain original soundtrack. Just now, my border collie wasn't too happy with the bottle scene.

I don't know about the second clip, but David Patrick Kelly (the creepy guy in the car) gets around.

He was also featured in a cult favorite, Dreamscape (1984)

full flick:

And though I had no idea until moments ago, an unrecognizable Kelly also played T Bird in another favorite cult film, The Crow (1994),

As for The Warriors (1978), I've actually never seen the entire movie from beginning to end.

But I sure did like Joe Walsh's "In the City," who had a great year as a solo artist ("Life's Been Good to Me"),

• Love
Reactions: Blowfish

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Went and saw The Haunted Mansion today. Not one of Disneys best but we enjoyed it.
The young boy in it was very good. Like a little Kevin Hart.

I do think they missed on the release though. It shouldve been in October for Halloween.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Went and saw The Haunted Mansion today. Not one of Disneys best but we enjoyed it.
The young boy in it was very good. Like a little Kevin Hart.

I do think they missed on the release though. It shouldve been in October for Halloween.
Curious about the timing as well. Disney has been overthinking a lot lately

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Mutant Mayhem was excellent.

Believe the hype.

Hilarious, creative, and heart felt.

The original 1990 live action will always be king for me, but this was definitely worth seeing.

Dare I say movie of the summer?

Reactions: Mione134

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Police say Marta helped another man "harbor" two girls in an apartment on July 21, 2023. The girls were taken from their mother by an unnamed suspect and kept in the apartment. Police say Marta prevented the girls from returning to their mother by stopping the police from entering the apartment.

The relationship, if any, between the unnamed suspect and the girls and their mother was not immediately known.

Seeing conflicting info on why he was arrested.

Curious to see what the truth is

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Watched Heat last night. Haven't seen it since it was released in the theaters. Great movie, fun to see Pacino and DeNiro go head to head.

Watching Dunkirk now. Never seen it. Amazing story and really well done movie.

Dunkirk is in the queue.

I'm sure you've all seen this one. DeNiro does comedy. A flick that cuts both ways.

Yes, it was great good fun. It also opened the door to a slew of embarrassing DeNiro "comedies" which I can only assume Bobby made for a quick, handsome buck.

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Watched Heat last night. Haven't seen it since it was released in the theaters. Great movie, fun to see Pacino and DeNiro go head to head.

Watching Dunkirk now. Never seen it. Amazing story and really well done movie.
I recently saw Heat for the first time and was pretty blown away. Amazing cast. Makes me want to do a Michael Mann deep dive. His movies have such a unique look/feel.

Reactions: PlayMakers

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I realise it has been discussed here but I will add a couple thoughts on Oppenheimer which I saw last night. Will try to avoid spoilers.

Very good film biopic of him and the Manhattan Program IMO. The first 15 minutes I felt were a bit unstructured but the journey did help explain the brilliance and world view of the individual which would be a key factor in the rest of the film. That Tatlock storyline although weird in some ways just reinforced the ambiguous nature of Oppenheimers' beliefs (not ambivalent, just ambiguous) and there was a parallel there with the bomb I felt.

For a biopic like this I feel Nolan did a great job between the scene selection, cuts, and importantly the sound to maintain a tension and anxiety all thru the 3 hours. Very few lulls because there was always something to maintain tension and I felt that was very, very well done.

Casting was impressive and it was fun to see so many faces but who were not there as a spiff, but to play out the character and did so very well. hats off to Oldman for once again being a chameleon in the Truman shots, and same for Branagh and Conti for their roles. Really felt like everyone took the job seriously and tried to play the characters.

Cillian should be up for an Oscar for this one IMO as it was a great piece of acting and his ability to flip back and forth between the scientific interest, personal ego, and ambiguity of remorse was close to an acting masterclass. Nolan with the whole team balanced that out to a tee and that adds a lot of depth to the story reinforced with a few callouts along the way about "at that time", "when it happened", etc.. when people years later were trying to superimpose their then current standards and beliefs. Talk about a much needed wake up call where being right today doesn't necessarily mean it was wrong yesterday - ambiguity without ambivalence at it's best.

Reactions: Gee Wally

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Far better than the David Lynch mess. I'm a fan of both Dune and Lynch, but that movie was horrible.

Ha! I remember when that came out -- '83 or '84 -- with Sting.

Winner of the Heaven's Gate/Ishtar Award, I believe.

I never cared about Dune but I'm glad they made a better one for those who do.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
The Gathering Storm (2002).

For the history buffs among us. Albert Finney captures WSC as Brian Cranston captured Johnson. Pitch perfect.

I believe everyone knows how things turned out, so forgive this minor spoiler,

Brendan Gleason, Into the Storm (2009), less so,

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Ha! I remember when that came out -- '83 or '84 -- with Sting.

Winner of the Heaven's Gate/Ishtar Award, I believe.

I never cared about Dune but I'm glad they made a better one for those who do.
The books were pretty good. The new release with Villeneuve as director has brought out more of the intensity and tension as in the books vs. the 80's movie. Looking forward to chapter 2 of the new film even if it is not for everyone and may come across as a very slow film.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
The books were pretty good. The new release with Villeneuve as director has brought out more of the intensity and tension as in the books vs. the 80's movie. Looking forward to chapter 2 of the new film even if it is not for everyone and may come across as a very slow film.
Book was great. Agreed, new movies are good too, but I think they’re a little slow for people who haven’t read the book.

Reactions: bb74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad