OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Dopesick was incredible. It will make you want to burn Purdue Pharma to the ground, but the acting is incredible. Both Keaton and Kaitlin Dever (who has been acting her ass off since she was a kid in Justified) are so believable, your heart breaks for them.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Dopesick was really f***ing good. Michael Keaton is great in everything.

The first season of True Dectective may be one of my favorite shows ever. Ive watched it three times. Equally brilliant and unnerving. The second season was ok, I didn’t really believe Vince Vaughn in that role so it threw me off. Third season was very good, Dorff and Ali were stellar.

Loved Broadchurch. Loved Seasons 1 and 4 of The Sinner.

Seven Seconds was great, though probably better because Regina King rules.

Since Covid my wife and I have crushed so many shows, I don’t even know where to start. A few under the radar we loved - Barry (HBO), Frank of Ireland (Amazon), The Last Kingdom (Netflix).

We’re also enjoying Cobra Kai because it’s ridiculously stupid but so well done. We’re both mid-40’s so the nostalgia weighs heavily. Enjoyable, nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing...I will check out the recommendations.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Dopesick was really f***ing good. Michael Keaton is great in everything.

The first season of True Dectective may be one of my favorite shows ever. Ive watched it three times. Equally brilliant and unnerving. The second season was ok, I didn’t really believe Vince Vaughn in that role so it threw me off. Third season was very good, Dorff and Ali were stellar.

Loved Broadchurch. Loved Seasons 1 and 4 of The Sinner.

Seven Seconds was great, though probably better because Regina King rules.

Since Covid my wife and I have crushed so many shows, I don’t even know where to start. A few under the radar we loved - Barry (HBO), Frank of Ireland (Amazon), The Last Kingdom (Netflix).

We’re also enjoying Cobra Kai because it’s ridiculously stupid but so well done. We’re both mid-40’s so the nostalgia weighs heavily. Enjoyable, nonetheless.

Broadchurch Season 1 is one of my all time favorite pieces of TV. Just outstanding on every level. Season 2 I still enjoyed but it felt messy and the attempt to mesh the trial with the events linked to Hardy's previous case just never really gelled for me, and I found Claire's character to be deeply problematic. Season 3 was better and I thought told a tighter story, but I felt that the reveal of the whodunnit? was ludicrous and that tainted it a bit. All in all though, the whole series is great viewing.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
Broadchurch Season 1 is one of my all time favorite pieces of TV. Just outstanding on every level. Season 2 I still enjoyed but it felt messy and the attempt to mesh the trial with the events linked to Hardy's previous case just never really gelled for me, and I found Claire's character to be deeply problematic. Season 3 was better and I thought told a tighter story, but I felt that the reveal of the whodunnit? was ludicrous and that tainted it a bit. All in all though, the whole series is great viewing.

Agree with everything you wrote.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Good to know. I had my eye on that one. I'm a history buff and that story is intriguing. Did the missus like it too?

except for some graphic violence - yes.
First we both love history.
But then also good banter over ‘who’s telling the truth?’

I thought it was well done from that angle. As wellas I liked the backstory that Affleck and Damon hired a woman to write Marguerite’s perspective.

Reactions: RoccoF14

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Saw "Nobody" last week with Bob Odenkirk. I love Bob Odenkirk and this role is a bit of a departure..

Bob Odenkirk as an action hero is unbelievably ridiculous and over the top, but both my wife and I actually enjoyed it.......although we really can't tell you why.

Lots of violence, so if you want to suspend reality and watch an action flick, I'd recommend it.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Knew I was going to like CODA when this young lady showed up in the first scene in a well-worn Bruins hoody.
952AB905-88ED-4D00-A6A0-52764B78BD34.jpeg

Reactions: bbfan419

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Some real gems "relatively unknown" out there for TV series....

Disney:
Dopesick

From Netflix

Rectify
The Serpent
Halt and Catch Fire
Bloodline
The Sinner
Broadchurh
Marcella
Seven Secounds
Master of None

From HBO
True Detective - unreal!
Dopesick with Micheal Keaton was awesome!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Poor Val. I liked his version. My favorite is Keaton though.

This new Batman is Robert Pattinson. He's a very moody Batman so I guess he does a good job
I've heard the same.

I thought Keaton was fine in Tim Burton's Batman. I think perhaps I saw the second one on cable, with Danny DeVito as the Penguin, and it was absolute trash, as were, I gather, subsequent iterations of that "franchise."

By far (to me, anyway) The Dark Knight triptych, directed by Christopher Nolan and starring Christian Bale, remain superior, however overlong and gratuitously loud, violent, etc. They capture the spirit of the orignal Batman, not that I'm an expert.

Will likely check the new movie.

Yet, as with the endless, exhausted Spiderman reboots (I count at least three seperate silos, each with the now redundant "origin story" I imbibed as a Spidey fan in the 70s), and the entire DC/"Marvel Universe" foolishness, most of these flicks are a forgettable waste of time, never mind brain space.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This new iteration of Batman could not have come to be without the roads paved by both Burton and Nolan. It pays homage to both.

The Nolan films will always be the gold standard for me. I actually love Batman Begins the best of the bunch.

However, this new version was amazing in a slightly different way. It also draws significantly from the Arkham series of video games which did an incredible job of encapsulating the feel of Gotham City in a way that blends Burton’s Gothic take with Nolan’s realism.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This new iteration of Batman could not have come to be without the roads paved by both Burton and Nolan. It pays homage to both.

The Nolan films will always be the gold standard for me. I actually love Batman Begins the best of the bunch.

However, this new version was amazing in a slightly different way. It also draws significantly from the Arkham series of video games which did an incredible job of encapsulating the feel of Gotham City in a way that blends Burton’s Gothic take with Nolan’s realism.
Hmm.

"Batman Begins" was actually my least favorite of the three Nolan films. That's why they make vanilla and chocolate.

I would add that if you view "Brokeback Mountain" in conjunction with "The Dark Knight," you will see a master craftsman in Heath Legder.

I enjoyed Jack Nicholson's Joker, unsurprisingly, but with Jack, as with many "A List" actors, you're always aware that it's Nicholson playing Nicholson. No sin.

With Ledger, as with Meryl Streep and a very few others, it's all about the character. They may be stars, but they are character actors. To me, a one time student of (no brag, brag) "Meisner based American naturalism," that's the real deal.

Ledger's portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in "Brokeback Mountain" and his Joker in "The Dark Knight" demonstrate stunning range as an actor. The two characters are polar opposites, one strangled by a dominating super ego, the other pure id unleashed. Great, great stuff.

Niles to Frazier when discussing the merits, or lack thereof, inherent in the Freudian method of psychotherapy:

"Call me an old softie, but that's how I see it." :bruins:bow:

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I typically enjoy the origin story.

The Batman did an effective job reintroducing the character without the need of doing the origin story again, similar in a way to what they did with Keaton’s version.

I grew up with the Burton and Schumacher films. It’s what we had. Just sort of accepted them for what they were.

I remember seeing the trailer for Begins during the Pats Eagles Super Bowl and was like “Holy shit. They’re actually doing it for real.”

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Of course, I have always enjoyed "origin stories," too.

However, I believe a] the incel fanboys take all of this stuff way, way too seriously, which is hilarious; b] Hollywood keeps cranking out this crap, because their business is in ruins and if dweebs are stupid enough to fall for this stuff, fine.

FWIW, I thought "Spiderman 2" was worthy, as was the animated "Into the Spider-verse." The rest I can do without.

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
This movie sucked ass. Starts as a horror movie then turns into some woke institutionalized racism movie which would be ok but none of it made sense and you get no answers at the end of the movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad