GDT: Morning with the Sabres vs Devils in Prague, CZE 10 AM ET - TV: MSG, NHL Network - Radio: WGR550 - Game # 2

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Will say a positive is that playing the devil's is a great learning experience for a mostly new team

1. They play fast and support
2. Their old coach that started them playing that style is now in buffalo

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Adams constructed this mess and when you brag about your fourth line as your big summer you’re screwed.

NJ added so much. 2 Top 4 defenseman, bottom pairing depth, a top 9 winger, and a #1 goalie.
Their big acquisitions were a coach, scoreboard, roof and 4th line.

They’ve been outplayed for six periods and have scored 2 goals in 2 games.

They bragged about all of it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Uh yeah, obviously. Thank Andrew Brunette for making Ruff look good that one year.

Yet they were good the year before Brunette - all the statistic guys were ga-ga over them and how they weren't getting saves. So I've never quite got the narrative that it was all the drunken stumblebum Brunette being a savant.

Reactions: sabremike

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
As someone who is also a fan of the Canucks, I can understand feeling like the sky is always falling down, and I don't like submitting to it, its only two games into the season, but these games are tough to watch.

Both games I feel like its the same story; UPL and Levi play well, and the entire skater group in front of them just seem to be playing structureless hockey. Constant turnovers, no sustained pressure, inability to defend leading to constant exchanged rush chances. 1st line looks so sluggish, Power cant gap control to save his life, every second shot on the NJD net is either low-danger or one of our players just gripping the stick too tight and as a fan you just know its not going in.

While I am not writing anything off and it's only two games, starting a season poorly is what has killed the Sabres in recent seasons and Ruff and company are already returning to the norm. Maybe it's just the discomfort of playing in Europe, but unless they prove people wrong once back in NA, its gonna be hard to beat the demons.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yet they were good the year before Brunette - all the statistic guys were ga-ga over them and how they weren't getting saves. So I've never quite got the narrative that it was all the drunken stumblebum Brunette being a savant.
Devils also got worse AFTER Lindy was fired last year, but let's not let facts get in the way.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Look the same as the Sabres last year to me - don't think it's a Lindy thing fella.

Mediocre special teams, potentially scratching Benson, zero organization in all three zones.

This is a Ruff thing in conjunction with what the Sabres have been..

I don't know why Sabres management thought he'd correct the deep seeded issues Buffalo has.

Cue the Sabres coming away from this trip and winning 10 straight though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad