NCAA / CHL Lawsuit

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I'm not sure, even with the proposed idea of 'moving' between the leagues and/or if this case is won by the plaintiff, if it really impacts USPORTS clubs.

USPORTS doesn't get the top CHL/NCAA talent, so if they start in the CHL and then move to an NCAA team (or vice versa) it has limited impact on the USPORTS league. Yes - there are ripples, different players moving up/down on the roster, but in most cases I believe the overage players remain as USPORTS' main demographic.

For each year a CHL player remains in the league, they get more tuition funds and an NCAA team is less likely to want them (their window to play and impact the team's success becomes smaller). So, I see this impacting the 16, 17 and 18 year-olds more.

The educational impacts are interesting, ...
... if you start in the CHL and go to NCAA, you have 1-3 years of CHL tuition funds available to offset any tuition imbalance between scholarships and tuition.
... if you start in the NCAA and go to CHL, you bring 1-3 years of a degree with you and possibly the program offers an AFA to cover the last 1-2 years.

Yes - a player can join an NCAA team at 21 and start their 5-year clock provided they have the academics to be accepted. They will have some classes completed as that's a requirement of the CHL program, but most NCAA programs generally don't look for these older players.

That's the question - would NCAA programs start to look for an older group of players to be 'leaders' or continue with their current scouting model? If a number of them choose to go 'older' that would impact USPORTS.

E.

Reactions: dm8895 and JMCx4

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
There are no 16 yr olds playing D1 hockey and very few 17's. Those kids are in the USHL.

If a player is good enough to play D1 and has the smarts, why would he go CHL?

A big factor IMHO will be academics. D1 hockey is NOT D1 Football or B-Ball.

I don't see this having much impact on CIS hockey.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
P.S. - Far more academic/esoteric discussion of this topic is ongoing HERE in the Fugu's Business of Hockey forum.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Yeah, but it's Arizona and the player is American (likely wanting to return home & play). His academic package allows him to go to any institution that accepts him, but in this case he also get's to play (if the ruling is favourable/supportive).

The lawsuit has only been filed - no idea whether a ruling will be in either group's favour (likely of the athletes) in time for him to play next season.

How much space are they going to reserve for a 21 year-old (which will likely displace an 18 year-old). Note: (from what I could find on the internet) - "Ice hockey players have until their 21st birthday to enroll in a D1 school".

Not sure if the High School curriculum requirements apply to a University/College transfer (provided he has been taking is courses as outlined by the CHL for their package), otherwise he needs a High School GPA of 2.3 and completion of 16 'Core Courses'.

It will be interesting - this certainly can impacts all USPORTS teams, just hard to gauge

Reactions: FreddyFoyle and Rob

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Well looks like it’s happening and happening soon. As a fan of hockey I see it as a good thing and think it’s bullshit CHL players were deemed as earning a salary because they got some meal money etc… however as a CIS fan I’m scared shitless … the effects could be extremely minor and maybe skim the top players off and create more parity or this could be the end of the world as we know it … who knows but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t scare me.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Well looks like it’s happening and happening soon. As a fan of hockey I see it as a good thing and think it’s bullshit CHL players were deemed as earning a salary because they got some meal money etc… however as a CIS fan I’m scared shitless … the effects could be extremely minor and maybe skim the top players off and create more parity or this could be the end of the world as we know it … who knows but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t scare me.
Imagine how us NCAA hockey fans must feel ... dreading the flood of "oot" and "aboot" and "eh?" language coming to a hockey game near us. Not to mention all the "parlezz voos" and "jay nay comprends pass" nonsense. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: AUS Fan

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
1) This will have a much bigger impact on Junior Hockey than USports. The CHL will become even stronger, but will lose its leverage over 16 year olds, who will be able to take their time before committing to the CHL.
2) Jr A leagues will be weakened, and will have to become much more developmentally focused. A smart Jr A league would set a lower age cap, but they are not known for being smart.
3) This will not really move the needle for the top NCAA programs, as the top CHLers will still be better off going to the AHL than treating the NCAA as a developmental league for a year or two. It WILL help the second-tier programs attract ex-CHL players with middling academic aspirations.
4) USports schools will have to start competing on $$.
5) Outside of the top AUS, CW, and OUA East schools, most USports teams are already littered with Jr A players, so I don't see this moving the needle that much for anyone outside of the UNB / Alberta perpetual Top 10 tier.
6) This will help the strong academic USports schools and hurt the weak academic USports schools. An intelligent 21 year old won't chase the dream to Lindenwood over Alberta or UBC, but a less gifted 21 year old might choose Lindenwood over Ontario Tech or TMU.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... 6) This will help the strong academic USports schools and hurt the weak academic USports schools. An intelligent 21 year old won't chase the dream to Lindenwood over Alberta or UBC, but a less gifted 21 year old might choose Lindenwood over Ontario Tech or TMU.
Don't overlook the fact that the NCAA programs will be determining which Canadian junior players have the talent & the "good fit" to take spots on their rosters. The shuffle of players next summer could make for a dynamic with unintended or at least unexpected consequences for players on both sides of the border.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad