Player Discussion Morgan Rielly

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Dubas could have signed Pietrangelo and traded Marner when he had the chance...alas, it's Dubas we're talking about though...the guy has messed up this Leaf franchise as GM, and will take some shrewd tinkering by Treliving to right the ship.
Was there any indication at all that Pietro ever wanted to sign with the Leafs? Didn't seem like it so even if Dubas threw 10+ million per x 7 years I don't think he would've signed here. And at the end of the day he made the right choice when he's won a Cup with the Knights and would most likely still not be a Stanley Cup champion if he signed here.

As for Rielly I said many years ago that it was best to trade him when he was still on his 5 million contract and that re-signing him wouldn't be a great idea and that it could turn into the Phaneuf contract very quickly. Last season's playoffs made me hope that perhaps I was wrong, but now he's back to his old self and if you can trade him then TRADE HIM.

He's another Leaf player that like Marner I really like as a person, but he's just not good enough to be our top pairing Dman that you can count on to play in the critical parts of games. All these years the Leafs were trying to find a good partner for him when with a real top pairing Dman it shouldn't matter that much as to who you're playing with and usually it should be YOU helping to elevate your partner's play.

Reactions: Kazparov

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
morgan rielly can help alot of teams, and hes actually performed in the post season. him at 7.5 million is not a bad price at all in reality. lots of worse dmen on higher deals than him in the league.
Name them

would most likely still not be a Stanley Cup champion if he signed here.
He was already a cup champion.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Phil Kessel of defenseman. Good supporting player falsely cast as being the franchise guy.
Well, think Reilly was more Dion than Phil.
I don’t blame Reilly for playing as No.1. But he really need to develop a shot. I don’t understand why he still had not.

Reactions: PromisedLand

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
He was already a cup champion.
Yeah I forgot somehow that he already won with St. Louis, but he sure as hell wouldn't have won another with the Leafs anytime soon compared to signing with the Knights. So good move by him.

Tedd

May 11, 2023
I think Morgan has to go. In no way has he earned that big salary this season. Even his hockey IQ has been questionable this year. He's a 2-3 d-man being paid like a #1

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
It's hard to keep up with the scapegoats this year. Morgan played well this series, especially given all that we ask him to do. It would be great to have another guy alongside of him to take the pressure off, instead we bring in jobbers and/or John Klingberg.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

MapleLeafsMats

Aug 9, 2020
Morgan is not a Treliving Dman. When Brad took over his first synopsis was that we had issues moving the puck out of our zone. How many times did we ice it in Game 7? So frustrating. Morgan doesn't have the shot or size and doesn't fit how we want to play moving forward. Will be interesting to see if anything happens on this front.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Agreed that ideally Rielly would be a #2 or preferably a #3 with a strong defensive partner to cover for him because he’s a low iq defender and has taken a step back defensively imo… but where ya gonna get them?

There is a reason these #1 guys don’t hit the market in their prime.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Morgan also has the ignominy of being the first NHL defenseman to intentionally drop the pass out of the offensive zone on a PP when he successfully gained the zone.

A few years ago in the bubble he had a mental block where the only play he could make was shovel the puck to his left, fearful of a cross ice pass.

Awful.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Seems fairly clear that his performance in last years playoffs was an aberration. Unfortunate.
Reilly scored because Vasi was just plain shit and couldn't stop a long floater with a screen in front of him. Playoff Reilly is not really a thing I guess.

The part that kills me with him is the Vapor Lock he has when its time to get the puck out fast. He has a lane to shoot but instead he holds on until some defenseman gets in there to block the shot....it's maddening. Also, he is the king of shooting from bad angles in the corner...has he ever scored from the corner?

Reactions: wingman75

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Was definitely his worst playoff, but our entire defense is basically Rielly and a bunch of toothless carnival ride operators they found at the Ex. Which management seems content with for whatever reason(s). Rielly shouldn’t be expected to carry a pair, let alone an entire D corps.

• Haha
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad