Morgan Rielly "It's stanley cup or bust. I think that’s how our group feels. Anything short of that will be a failure."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Same reason a thread was made and has stayed on here about Oreo being a sponsor for Toronto…

Cause it’s The Toronto Maple Leafs .. plain and simple

If a thread was made like these for any other team, they would be closed/moved instantly
Eh, not really. There was a long-ass thread last year about the article where McDavid made the Oilers show up a couple of weeks earlier than usual.

Part of the reason Leaf threads seem to go on longer than others is because half the posts in the thread are Leaf fans saying the above multiple times.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Eh, not really. There was a long-ass thread last year about the article where McDavid made the Oilers show up a couple of weeks earlier than usual.

Part of the reason Leaf threads seem to go on longer than others is because half the posts in the thread are Leaf fans saying the above multiple times.

It’s almost like the entire board forgot Dubas existed when he left the leafs.

From the most well-known GM in the league who everyone had an opinion on to … never being mentioned on the main boards again.

Leafs are the center of the hockey universe. It all revolves around them and will continue to do so

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Strangle

May 4, 2009
That's kind of sad... Where they just too cowardly/want to lower expectations due to the toronto media/fan base or did they really just didnt want the cup enough?

I don’t really know, but it’s been frustrating

If I had to read the tea leaves and make some educated guesses, I would say that this group just doesn’t have that ‘big swinging d***’ mentality that winners need to have

They try, they say the ‘look into the mirror’ ‘backs against the wall’ kind of stuff, but they are timid. They are introverted in the worst possible way.

They are scared. Scared to say “we are here to win the mother f***ing Stanley cup and we don’t give a f*** who stands in our way, we are getting this done!”

Because … what if they’re wrong? I guess?

I think it all comes down to being timid and scared

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Was a theme of the Leafs pressers this year which are different than years past where they would allude to the goal but never actually placed expectations on themselves.

This is the year the Leafs figure it out under Berube and go on a cup run.
Too bad Reilly didn't have this magic press conference 5 years ago so they could have been back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back Champions!

Nothing that anyone says in a press conference matters. It's primarily about how the star players step it up (or not) come play-off time.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Based Penguin fan

It’s almost like the entire board forgot Dubas existed when he left the leafs.

From the most well-known GM in the league who everyone had an opinion on to … never being mentioned on the main boards again.

Leafs are the center of the hockey universe. It all revolves around them and will continue to do so

I noticed that too eh? Dubas jokes 24/7 to nothing.

That's kind of sad... Where they just too cowardly/want to lower expectations due to the toronto media/fan base or did they really just didnt want the cup enough?

I think in the past it was a team policy type thing to try and remove some pressure in the market on them. Downplay the failure saying it is in the past, say something like "we all know the goal but today is day one and I am focusing on today".

Having a player finally break that and say nah f that we want a cup. Rielly is a beaut.

Too bad Reilly didn't have this magic press conference 5 years ago so they could have been back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back Champions!

Nothing that anyone says in a press conference matters. It's primarily about how the star players step it up (or not) come play-off time.

That seemed to matter for the Oilers.

Reactions: Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Based Penguin fan

I think in the past it was a team policy type thing to try and remove some pressure in the market on them. Downplay the failure saying it is in the past, say something like "we all know the goal but today is day one and I am focusing on today".

Having a player finally break that and say nah f that we want a cup. Rielly is a beaut.

That’s a good point, it may have been part of a team policy to have everyone approach the cup talk in that way. Maybe management thought it would look humble in hindsight?

That alone seems so arrogant and offside to me now that I’m writing it down

OREO : One Round Elimination Objective

“Only Really Ever Offense”

Reactions: HockeyVirus

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Based Penguin fan

What does "to a degree" its cup or bust mean?

From the twitter quote posted earlier from Morgan Reilly.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
It’s a no win - either way he answers the haters can complain on his answer.

Rinse repeat.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
"I'm a man that believes in setting achievable and realistic goals, this year I think it's reasonable to expect this team to maybe make it to the second round. Based off the available data sets regarding this team, that would be a big success."

This man right here has The Passion. The Passion that unites us all. The Passion of striving for low expectations so you never have to feel disappointed in yourself

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Do you think that the Oilers made it to the Cup Finals because of a pre-season press conference last year?

Sarcasm aside - I do remember an interview where Mark Messier talked about joining the Rangers and having the entire organization terrified to even mention the Cup, and him saying that it was important to be able to have the group understand the expectation.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It all depends on if Berube is THE guy. I'm not saying he is going to be the greatest coach of all time. "But is he the right coach at the right time". It's always about if it's the right fit at coach. It's not necessarily about prior success as a coach, or lack there of. It's about if he is, in his present state, what a team needs at the right time.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Do you think that the Oilers made it to the Cup Finals because of a pre-season press conference last year?

Sarcasm aside - I do remember an interview where Mark Messier talked about joining the Rangers and having the entire organization terrified to even mention the Cup, and him saying that it was important to be able to have the group understand the expectation.

There was this old 4chan post my buddy saved years and years ago and one day, when I was feeling especially low and shitty and defeated he sent it to me.

It was fairly inspirational, and ended with “you’re f***ing awesome, now start acting like it” and he hit me with it at just the right time in my life when I needed to hear that.

This team needs a moment like that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad