Value of: Montreal Offer-Sheeting Marner or Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Yep.

Only the Leafs players are eligible for OS's as well I noticed.

Can't see anyone wanting Rantanen or Point.

Only Leafs players. Whom I'm told WE over rate.

Rantanen could, in theory be offer sheeted; it would make sense. I imagine the Avs would match whatever was sent out, however.

Point is great, but he isn't worth more than 8.5-9m (and even that is a stretch) so you're making a huge risk; you give him a deal that the Lightning can match, or you're stuck overpaying for a player who has inflated numbers because of his teammates.

Laine could be offer-sheeted, and it would make sense, but Winnipeg would immediately free up the cap space to solve the problem; they can't afford to lose Laine.

Marner could be offer-sheeted, and it would again make sense, but you can't really realistically afford to pay him more than 10/11m.

Matthews is the first player any team should offer-sheet, you could pay the kid 16m and it wouldn't be that big of a deal; he's a 21 year old superstar center. For a team like Montreal, the incentive is greater because the Leafs are not just another team, they're in the same division. You either strip them of a franchise player, or put them in cap hell where they have to dismember the team around the players.

Sure, Leafs could have Matthews at 14, Marner at 12, Tavares at 12, and Nylander at 7; but you can't have a defensive group or Kadri or Marleau or Kapanen with those cap hits. The incentive to offer sheeting is you either get a franchise altering player (Laine/Matthews/Marner) or you f*** the team on the other end of it royally.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
How would this process work?

Could Montreal offer Matthews 14x7 and Marner 12x7, and take whomever the Leafs can't match (because they can't match both)

Is there a rule saying you can't do it that way? Is there a way for the Leafs to dodge that?

I feel like Montreal >HAS< to offer-sheet Matthews specifically; Weber and Price are signed long term and this team needs to be winning now.

I don't think it is possible as the sum of the contracts would mean Montreal owes Toronto 8 1st rounders. It has to be Montreal first rounders (its not like you can make a trade for more and give them to Toronto) and you need to give Toronto those 1sts within a time frame.

So I guess Montreal could offer-sheet either Matthews or Marner and one thing people are forgetting just because Montreal offer-sheets either player does not mean they have to accept it

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Rantanen could, in theory be offer sheeted; it would make sense. I imagine the Avs would match whatever was sent out, however.

Point is great, but he isn't worth more than 8.5-9m (and even that is a stretch) so you're making a huge risk; you give him a deal that the Lightning can match, or you're stuck overpaying for a player who has inflated numbers because of his teammates.

Laine could be offer-sheeted, and it would make sense, but Winnipeg would immediately free up the cap space to solve the problem; they can't afford to lose Laine.

Marner could be offer-sheeted, and it would again make sense, but you can't really realistically afford to pay him more than 10/11m.

Matthews is the first player any team should offer-sheet, you could pay the kid 16m and it wouldn't be that big of a deal; he's a 21 year old superstar center. For a team like Montreal, the incentive is greater because the Leafs are not just another team, they're in the same division. You either strip them of a franchise player, or put them in cap hell where they have to dismember the team around the players.

Sure, Leafs could have Matthews at 14, Marner at 12, Tavares at 12, and Nylander at 7; but you can't have a defensive group or Kadri or Marleau or Kapanen with those cap hits. The incentive to offer sheeting is you either get a franchise altering player (Laine/Matthews/Marner) or you **** the team on the other end of it royally.
You just killed a virtual forest.

No one offer sheets anyone.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
zero issue if the Isles offered sheeted Marner at 7 x 11 or Mathews at 7 x 13.

Either of those guys is easily worth four first rounders.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Do they the kind of singing bonus money, they'll be offered here?

With that in mind, why not try Rantanen, Point, Aho &c.?

If I was ranking the RFA group for next year:

Matthews > Laine >>>>> Rantanen > Marner >>>> Point, Tkachuk, Aho

Anyone before the first >>>>> you can pay 13-15m and not feel bad about it; those guys are both franchise altering superstars.

Anyone before the second >>>> you can pay 9-12m and not feel bad about it; those guys are top class elite talents, but at that price point I would assume their franchises could match it.

For the last three fellas, they are all elite players and well worth 7-10m, but you would regret giving them any more than that. Outside of Point, there is a 0% chance their clubs don't match the offer.

For Montreal specifically, our biggest need is an elite #1C --- getting Matthews through offer-sheet would allow us to move both Poehling and Suzuki for defensive help, as we'd have Matthews/Kotkaniemi/Danault/Evans moving forward.

Laine would be great, as would Rantanen, but our team needs Cs not Wingers --- Marner while not a center could play there, and depending the deal that Matthews gets it would be hard for the Leafs to match.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
How would this process work?

Could Montreal offer Matthews 14x7 and Marner 12x7, and take whomever the Leafs can't match (because they can't match both)

Is there a rule saying you can't do it that way? Is there a way for the Leafs to dodge that?

I feel like Montreal >HAS< to offer-sheet Matthews specifically; Weber and Price are signed long term and this team needs to be winning now.

Lol, Matthews and Marner have to actually ACCEPT the offer sheet. You think they're going to do that and risk playing for Montreal?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
You just killed a virtual forest.

No one offer sheets anyone.

You're so hell-bent on the idea that "nobody offer sheets anyone"

But why? There hasn't been any players that are dynamic enough that have made it to RFA in recent times. If Laine and Matthews make it past July 1st, I would be genuinely shocked if they didn't get offer sheeted by someone, somewhere.

Unless you have a concrete reason why Matthews is immune to being offer-sheeted, go away :thumbu:

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Toronto will be keeping Matthews but I think Marner will end up being a holdout like Nylander was. Got to think Toronto would weigh their options on Marner and if a team offer sheets him they may not match it because of the cap.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
You're so hell-bent on the idea that "nobody offer sheets anyone"

But why? There hasn't been any players that are dynamic enough that have made it to RFA in recent times. If Laine and Matthews make it past July 1st, I would be genuinely shocked if they didn't get offer sheeted by someone, somewhere.

Unless you have a concrete reason why Matthews is immune to being offer-sheeted, go away :thumbu:
LOL.

Sorry for bursting your little hate bubble.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
He could.....even less so, just give them signing bonus money,

Habs have just as much money as the Leafs, if not more. Leafs money comes from the MLSE (who own the Raptors) so "expenses" are a shared thing there. Montreal has deep pockets and an individual owner.

Not saying the Leafs can't do it, obviously they can, but Montreal could offer just as much money as Toronto in terms of up-front cash.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Islanders would be the obvious team to do it if any right?
Isles would probably be the team with the impetus due to animus, but the Yotes would be a great fit for Matthews for a lot of reasons. Realistically, I think only the Isles would consider it, and mainly out of spite.

If Dubas is smart, as I think he is, he'll re-sign Matthews before he's eligible for an offer sheet, or at least give his very best offer. I do think the Leafs have some angst about it, not because they wouldn't match, but because it could be very painful. Matthews is in the driver's seat.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think Toronto will be keeping Matthews but I think Marner will end up being a holdout like Nylander was. Got to think Toronto would weigh their options on Marner and if a team offer sheets him they may not match it because of the cap.
Marner may very well be the better player of the two

Reactions: HankyZetts

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
LOL.

Sorry for bursting your little hate bubble.

?????

I make a thread about offer-sheeting a player.

You go into same thread, and quote people to tell them that it doesn't happen in today's NHL, because it hasn't happened the last three seasons.

That isn't how that works; there has not been a player as talented as Matthews to hit RFA since in-his-prime Shea Weber.

There's no hate bubble; I suggested an idea and you decided to be a douchebag because you think your players are immune to being offer-sheeted.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If I was a GM I’d offer Matthews a 4 yr $50M contract in a heartbeat...then if Montreal matches he could be a UFA in 2023.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad