Montreal Impact Thread LIII - Shipp'ing up to Montreal! - 6/03|530PM: @VAN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Richie Laryea

Followed almost exactly in the same footsteps as Larin.

raised by Sigma as a teen, 2 years with University of Akron, picked 7th in the MLS draft

But anyways, there are many people out there every year that say we should abolish the draft entirely, I'm not one of them.

Even decades from now when academies are running at their potential, there will be late bloomers and kids that slip through the cracks that will still go to college. The Draft will remain useful for the diamond in the rough in that sense.

But you can't oversell it either. Duane Rollins yearly draft analysis is require reading on this topic:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/i...e-superdraft-by-the-numbers-2016-update-r5534

The top ~10 are likely to be "successful", but after that the numbers show it's basically a crapshoot. Sometimes you get lucky (and we seem to have gotten lucky the last 2 years) but sometimes all your picks are busts.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and in my opinion it'll be 50/50 for at least a few years to come.

Didn't know that about Laryea. In fact, I barely even know who this player is (I Don'T recall seeing him with the NT or the U23....)

And this is exactly my point, there will be late bloomers or simply players who will never go through the academy system. When your 17-18 between joining an Academy team or get a scholarship at a prestigious college, the choice is pretty much easy. A lot of players become crap despite showing good promising skills at 17 and under. Look at the dude on my avi, at 20 he wasn't even pro and was studying in school. Let's not forget that there are now Europeans and Africans in American colleges playing soccer.

Well, I don't blame anyone for not thinking highly of the MLS draft. We, North Americans are used to being spoiled in drafts, we ALWAYS have the best young available talents, in NBA, NHL, MLB and NFL, but not in MLS... And because Jack Harrison is incomparable to let's say Karl Towns who's already an All Star after one season, we think lowly of the draft. Jack Harrison was at the Man U academy btw, only 19, he is already better than all of our academy graduates.

Great USL player < good MLS player

+1000

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
We can all laugh at Mathieu Flamini

But he's the one that is going to be laughing in 2036 when he has a net worth of 18billion and essentially saved the world from oil :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad