GDT: Montreal Canadiens vs Buffalo Sabres 10/5/17 7:00pm EST TSN2, RDS, TSN 690

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
My point is he'll flourish on another team and Bargain bin gave him away for a 3rd rounder while protecting Benn.

He can flourish in Buffalo. It doesn't mean he would flourish in Montreal. He didn't, actually. Some players need the change of scenery to get better.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Habs honestly looked really good this period. Man, I might have to change my GDT for the Sharks game, lol. I made it kinda negative thinking we'd have a bad start to the season hahahaha!
Hell no. Keep it. I get a kick out of the nagging fans.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Didn't like the first half of that period but nice to see the boys turn it around.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My point is he'll flourish on another team and Bargain bin gave him away for a 3rd rounder while protecting Benn.

Benn is a third pairing D, any way you slice it. He wouldn't fetch a third round pick on the market, he was had for the lowly Pateryn. Beaulieu has the merit of garnering a third and it could have been a second were Bergevin not dealing from a position of weakness, dealing him on the day before the expansion draft to a team that needed to find a protection slot for him -- hardly a favorable setting.

And I wouldn't discount what Phil Housley will do with Beaulieu, even if he doesn't have the highest IQ.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The only way he will "flourish" is putting a brain in his head. The kid is horrendous defensively, can't shoot at all, plays well like once every two months.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't know if you noticed. But when Gallagher took a shot and just banked on the post, Drouin got in close for the rebound, he tried to sneak it up top over Lehner who was down. But he hit the post. Nice to have someone who can think that way and has the ability to pull it off.
Yup thought he had it there. So close

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can't say I liked our play in our defensive zone at all. PK was a holey mess.

Hudon and Drouin looked good though. A decent period for Chucky.

Yea, their D needs to tighten it up a bit. Although I did like Alzner.

Galchenyuk was good, as well. I felt he tried to force a play once or twice. But it's nothing to hold against him unless it continues this way. Hudon has NHL written on him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Benn is a third pairing D, any way you slice it. He wouldn't fetch a third round pick on the market, he was had for the lowly Pateryn. Beaulieu has the merit of garnering a third and it could have been a second were Bergevin not dealing from a position of weakness, dealing him on the day before the expansion draft to a team that needed to find a protection slot for him -- hardly a favorable setting.

And I wouldn't discount what Phil Housley will do with Beaulieu, even if he doesn't have the highest IQ.

To be fair, and I don’t mean this to be an excuse since Benn is playing terribly, but he’s always much better as a RD. Whenever he plays on the left side he looks completely different. I think he’ll be effective with Schlemko who can skate well.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
The only way he will "flourish" is putting a brain in his head. The kid is horrendous defensively, can't shoot at all, plays well like once every two months.
I'm sure the change of scenery is going to do that kid a world of good. He was inconsistent in Montreal at best but just remember who his coach was for most of his career so far.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yea, their D needs to tighten it up a bit. Although I did like Alzner.

Galchenyuk was good, as well. I felt he tried to force a play once or twice. But it's nothing to hold against him unless it continues this way. Hudon has NHL written on him.

What I noticed most about Galchenyuk was his backchecking and positioning were much improved. That's a good sign for me.

Reactions: Pickles

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The difference I have noticed between Drouin and Galchenyuk is that Alex does not constantly keep his feet moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad