HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Timmins had a late surge that has left us with some good young players. It was too little too late, but it's nice to have.

Caufield
Guhle
Mailloux
Roy
Arber Xhekaj (from the amature scouting department no doubt)
Kapanan
Struble
Harris --> Laine
Romanov --> Dach
Lehkonen --> Barron + 2nd
Sergachev --> Drouin (ouch!)
Evans
Primeau?
(Plus prospects, Farrell, Dobes, RHP, Trudeau, etc...)
From when Frank Jay left, is that accurate? Churla and Lapointe started around that point I believe.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
From when Frank Jay left, is that accurate? Churla and Lapointe started around that point I believe.
Something happened for sure. I don't buy the we have been extremely unlucky from 2008 to 2019 and then all of a sudden we have been extremely lucky from 2019 to now (jury is still out but i know hockey enough to know it's going to be much better than pre 2019). I mean from 2008 to 2019 we had two 3rd overall pick and three top 10 picks. Best player we drafted and developed is arguably Brandan Gallagher ... now all of a sudden everything goes vey well. I don't buy the luck theory. Timmins and Churla were still there when it started so something else happened?

Reactions: Gustave

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Mol$on has become a better owner........................................but for many years, and you hit the nail, he gave out an extension that was not earned by anyone other than Price. There is ZERO chance any one in the league gives Bergevin that extension based on the way they played but Mol$on gave it out because of some results ( Price )
For this....................Mol$on gets a D- as an owner.

That was then......................and this is now, and he gets an A for making the right decisions in the last 2.5 years.
Better days ahead...................
Let’s not forget he offered mb another extension before cleaning house,So far so good, not quite sold on the coaching staff but Hugo is miles ahead of bargain bin in so many ways.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Not a low bar... there are other details involved as to why he kept Bergevin and I spoke towards that before. One of the biggest (quick statement) was when he gave Bergevin the extension. His extension came 1.75 years before the other one expired and a lot of shit happened in those 1.75 years with Bergevin (went downward). Fans like you wanted Molson to write off Millions of dollars and think it's just an easy decision to make. I think not! It is and will always be a business. You would make similar decisions in the same seat :nod:

You're nit picking stupid stuff. I know Molson is the president and we hired a VP and GM. Main point does not change. Two faces of the franchise vs 1. I thought that was what we should have done and Molson made that decision when? When Bergevin's contract was near the end. I am sure Molson regrets giving Bergevin the extension too early. People should be allowed to learn and grow and I believe Molson learned from that situation.

MOLSON IS A GOOD OWNER. You don't have to agree but that's my opinion. I don't agree with your low bar narrative.
I feel the same. One thing I've always appreciated with Molson is he's pretty hands off for the most part. Let's his hockey guys do their thing.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Something happened for sure. I don't buy the we have been extremely unlucky from 2008 to 2019 and then all of a sudden we have been extremely lucky from 2019 to now (jury is still out but i know hockey enough to know it's going to be much better than pre 2019). I mean from 2008 to 2019 we had two 3rd overall pick and three top 10 picks. Best player we drafted and developed is arguably Brandan Gallagher ... now all of a sudden everything goes vey well. I don't buy the luck theory. Timmins and Churla were still there when it started so something else happened?
Yeah there’s something to this, the dry spell is sooooo bad (development was atrocious too, not a good combo), I have to dive into the staff’s ins and outs, but I figure someone here already went into it, you psychos you!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The Habs drafting didn't just improve because of better luck, but also because they've had way more picks recently and better picks as well.

The poster know as Habs_Halifax predicted the improved yield.

Reactions: morhilane

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I think saying that MB was more lucky from 2019 to 2021 is wrong. Habs selected higher and had more selections (and Mailloux asked to not be drafted which I guess is luck). But in term of amount of NHLers and upside, those draft were still bare really.

There are more 2022 draftees who played in the NHL than 2020 ones too. ;)

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It wasn't luck it was the approach to development. Under Bergevin we created hurdles that the players had to jump over, and now we are not only not putting hurdles in place we are helping them jump over whatever hurdles do come up.

There are so many plain bad development decisions that hurt our prospects that it's not at all a surprise that so many failed on top of which there was just a generally bad organizational culture where prospects/young players stopped enjoying coming to the rink to play hockey, and if you don't have that then it can't be surprising that development stops.

The reason 2019 is the turnaround year is because Hughes was brought in around the time those kids started to turn pro.

Reactions: BLONG7

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The reason 2019 is the turnaround year is because Hughes was brought in around the time those kids started to turn pro.
It's a good point Suzuki and Caufield were having troubles when MB was fired.

Here's Suzuki and Caufield stats january 18th 2022 when KH was hired :

Suzuki 38 GP 7G 21P -16
Caufield 29 GP 1G 8P -15

We will never know how things would have unfold if KH would not have been hired but things were certainly not looking great after the cup run.

[edit]

Man that defense was f***ing atrocious in 2021-22. Top 6 was (in order of TOI) Chiarot, Petry, Savard, Romanov, Kulak. Chris Wideman.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

"To start, Roger Grillo has been hired as coach consultant and will join Martin St-Louis’ staff.

Regarding the scouting team, Albie O’Connell has been promoted to Chief North American scout and Tommy Lehman has been promoted to Chief European scout. Additionally, Matt Ryan has been hired as Pro scout.

Lastly, Dale Lablans has been promoted to head of performance, Stéphane Gervais has been hired as strength and conditioning coach, and Mitch Freeburn will replace Gervais in Laval as the Rocket’s strength coach."

Reactions: Rapala

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

"To start, Roger Grillo has been hired as coach consultant and will join Martin St-Louis’ staff.

Regarding the scouting team, Albie O’Connell has been promoted to Chief North American scout and Tommy Lehman has been promoted to Chief European scout. Additionally, Matt Ryan has been hired as Pro scout.

Lastly, Dale Lablans has been promoted to head of performance, Stéphane Gervais has been hired as strength and conditioning coach, and Mitch Freeburn will replace Gervais in Laval as the Rocket’s strength coach."
Biggest news is Grillo being hired as a coach consultant for MSL...and I have on idea who Grillo is. :laugh:

The rest is more internal promotions.

Reactions: Canadienna

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Grillo coach St Louis in Vermont as Associate coach and is was with USA hockey

Good resume

Matt Ryan was a scout with the Boston Bruins

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

Roger Grillo?

Don't know who he is and thought they might go with a more experienced coach at the pro level

Reactions: Canadienna

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Roger Grillo?

Don't know who he is and thought they m8ght go with a more experienced coach at the pro level
Hockey is played the same regardless if it is played by 16-24 years old or by 18-40 years old.

Grillo has over 20 years of coaching experience and gives lectures on hockey coaching. He should know his stuff even if he never coached in the AHL/NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad