HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah they no doubt will want to stagger the integration of the young D because having 3 rookie D and another 2-3 D with less then 200 games of experience is a recipe for finishing in the basement at a time when management will want to be talking about making the playoffs.

Obviously how everyone looks at camp can/will change things but I honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Struble is actually the odd man out and gets sent to the A to start the year but plays 40-50 NHL games as injury replacement much like last year.
We all remember the year we had Emelin and Rafael Diaz as green rookies in the lineup along with Subban who had only 79 games on experience and Yannick Weber who had only 49 games of experience along with a bunch of useless vets like Campoli, Kaberle, 37 years old Spacek and 36 years old Gill. That went according to the plan ;) (drafted 3rd overall).

Now yeah two of those guys (Diaz and Weber) did not have what it takes and never were as good prospects as our current guys but still i'd rather have rookies now than in 3 years when we'll start talking about winning. If they're not ready fine but being ready doesn't mean doing 0 mistake or having rispek and lidership. Rookies will do mistakes and i'd rather them do those mistake now than in 3 years.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
We are talking about 20-30 games max though, Doubt they'll accrue cap space for more than that. A player playing 20 games in the AHL and 60 in the NHL is a player who played in the NHL. If we are debating whatever a player who played 50-60 NHL games played in the NHL or not then we are debating useless semantic here.
I was talking season starging roster "plan".

My understanding: You can accrue cap space if you wait until in-season (Day 1) to put Price on LTIR which sounds like the plan. You can't accrue cap space if you put him on LTIR in the offseason.
They are fine.
You don't accrue cap space if you are using LTIR space, whatever you started pre-season or in-season.

Reactions: LaP

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
He took at least 5 years too long to learn from his mistakes.
Like taking 12 years to get out of grade school.
The more success you have the harder it is to recognize mistakes and learn so I'll give him a passing grade.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Marinaro was very badly prepared for this interview, 80% of coach questions!! Kent was repeatedly telling him you should ask Marty.
There was so much material, too bad
He had all those clips from random people he talked to as well, so the preparation was just ill-advised. Sad.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
My understanding: You can accrue cap space if you wait until in-season (Day 1) to put Price on LTIR which sounds like the plan. You can't accrue cap space if you put him on LTIR in the offseason.
They are fine.
You don't accrue cap space with LTIR but it's basically irrelevant for us since we aren't going to be adding over 8m of salary during the season.

durojean

May 29, 2007
This has to stop. Man to man is not a system that most teams employ
The problem with man to man is overblown.

St-Louis want his player to learn and react to the play around them and that is the best system to do it in.

It is also a system that is way better with good puck moving defenseman with great mobility like Matheson, Hutson, Guhle, Reinbacher and Mailloux and harder for guys like Savard, Kovacevich, Struble and Harris. The more we get our real D, the better we will become.

Man to man will probably stop when we’ll start to go on a winning priority ibstead of a developping one.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
“In the last 3 years, we’ve learned to be patient & I think that now together, as fans & internally (as an organization), we see that it was a good decision to take the time to build a team that will be (competitive) for the long-term.” - Geoff Molson

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
“In the last 3 years, we’ve learned to be patient & I think that now together, as fans & internally (as an organization), we see that it was a good decision to take the time to build a team that will be (competitive) for the long-term.” - Geoff Molson

Took Molson a long time but I am glad he finally came around and let the rebuild happen.

When the Habs inevitably suck again (hopefully in 15-20 years) they shouldn't forget that this is how you build a team properly in modern times.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Took Molson a long time but I am glad he finally came around and let the rebuild happen.

When the Habs inevitably suck again (hopefully in 15-20 years) they shouldn't forget that this is how you build a team properly in modern times.
I assume by we Molson means he and Molson management.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Despite the Bergevin era, I’ve truly come to appreciate Geoff as an owner, specially when compared to owners like Joey Saputo.

We are lucky to have an owner who thinks further ahead and has long term excellence as the priority rather than one who’s trying to figure out how to spend less every year.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

I hope they will have lessons learned workshop and file the findings for history :D

I can't even imagine what the price of Molson hotdogs is going to be like in 15 years.

• Haha
Reactions: badfish

Oryxo

Oct 24, 2007

What always annoyed me is how they constantly tried to blame it on the fans, that "the fans in Montréal wouldn't accept a rebuild" when it was obvious ownership and the media were the ones who truly had a problem with it.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
What always annoyed me is how they constantly tried to blame it on the fans, that "the fans in Montréal wouldn't accept a rebuild" when it was obvious ownership and the media were the ones who truly had a problem with it.

it feels like we're rebuilding the management, the on-ice team & the fans are 100% on-board

the ones that are keeping clichés alive and would need a tear down / rebuild is most of the media covering the Habs. There's some exceptions but if you step back and actually listen to what they say, it's empty words & platitudes.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Despite the Bergevin era, I’ve truly come to appreciate Geoff as an owner, specially when compared to owners like Joey Saputo.

We are lucky to have an owner who thinks further ahead and has long term excellence as the priority rather than one who’s trying to figure out how to spend less every year.
And that doesn't go in the locker room kicking garbage bins and second guessing every coach decision.

Reactions: jrom

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Come on man, Geoff's been here for a decade and a half and he squandered the last era whilst raising ticket prices. He's a minor joke, a one-beat nobody with zero vision.
Are we lucky to have an owner who wasted 12 years? Was he pursuing excellence when we signed Karl Alzner and Alex Hemsky?

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Come on man, Geoff's been here for a decade and a half and he squandered the last era whilst raising ticket prices. He's a minor joke, a one-beat nobody with zero vision.

Are we lucky to have an owner who wasted 12 years? Was he pursuing excellence when we signed Karl Alzner and Alex Hemsky?
You should look around the league and compare him to other owners , instead of looking at it from optimal idealistic point of view.
So while you are correct on your points , we could have been even worst if we had an owner not willing to spend on a team like he does.
Don’t forgot all those retains and additions with high salaires cost his bottom line directly

Reactions: Shred

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
You should look around the league and compare him to other owners , instead of looking at it from optimal idealistic point of view.
So while you are correct on your points , we could have been even worst if we had an owner not willing to spend on a team like he does.
Don’t forgot all those retains and additions with high salaires cost his bottom line directly
The Habs have gained a ton in value and essentially print money, at no point has Geoff Molson suffered economically from his dominion over our beloved Montreal Canadiens. Can you say that we Habs fans haven't suffered during his ownership?

I appreciate Molson never putting guardrails or internal limitations on the Habs' spending but I also expect nothing less. We're not a small market, struggling team. This is the bare minimum.

Reactions: the

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Geoff Mol$on was as big a donkey as Bergevin..................10 years squandered on the back on a goalie who had no chance of doing it all. Mol$on is lucky he was born into $$$$ Ownership should have ousted him......he is lucky the board didn't remove him.

That said, finally when the decision was made, about 5 years too late at least he made a great choice in Gorton, who made a great choice in Hughes.
An owner who blows with the wind eh.............

Better days ahead.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not sure if it's just because he reminds me of Bergevin, but Lapointe seems like he's a douche. English douche, the only type of French douche he is is showering all of his douchiness on everyone around him.

Him sitting there with his stupid f***ing Gucci glasses adding nothing

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Geoff Mol$on was as big a donkey as Bergevin..................10 years squandered on the back on a goalie who had no chance of doing it all. Mol$on is lucky he was born into $$$$ Ownership should have ousted him......he is lucky the board didn't remove him.

That said, finally when the decision was made, about 5 years too late at least he made a great choice in Gorton, who made a great choice in Hughes.
An owner who blows with the wind eh.............

Better days ahead.
FWIW, Bergevin can be quite charismatic, I'm sure Molson got dazzled by the flashy suits and the dudebro humor the same way most of the media was for a very long time. That and there wasn't a ton of french speaking options with decent experience around the league, it was pretty slim pickings. At least he did do the right thing in the end.

Reactions: DAChampion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad