HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jackets so fierce to dump him though has me worried. Gave him away for his contract

The player asked for the trade. It's not the Blue Jackets who wanted to get rid of him. They acquiesced to his desire to move on. That's why they wanted to make a deal without retention.

You're worrying for nothing, really.

Reactions: Redux91

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
The player asked for the trade. It's not the Blue Jackets who wanted to get rid of him. They acquiesced to his desire to move on. That's why they wanted to make a deal without retention.

Just to add to this that the Blue Jackets owner said he would not agree to any retention on the deal (people can go read it on their board), thus their hands were tied 100%.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

They could have retained got double the return where I am coming from

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They could have retained got double the return where I am coming from

That wasn't an option. Their owner said he didn't want to retain any salary. So Wadell had to find the team that was willing to take on the whole contract.

If it was truly about the assets Columbus wanted in return, they would have retained because the return would have been better. But because the mandate came from the owner, then they had to find a team willing to take on the entire cap hit. And Montreal was the only team willing to do that.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
That wasn't an option. Their owner said he didn't want to retain any salary. So Wadell had to find the team that was willing to take on the whole contract.

If it was truly about the assets Columbus wanted in return, they would have retained because the return would have been better. But because the mandate came from the owner, then they had to find a team willing to take on the entire cap hit. And Montreal was the only team willing to do that.
Thé habs are a cash rich team and are using that cash , what many here forget that some smaller teams and some owners , it’s about the cash flow as much as it is about the cap if not more

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
In hindsight that was one of the worst draft ever for us. 11 picks total. 7 top 100 picks. 3 top 50 picks. 3rd overall. Best player so far is Romanov.
I don’t find it too bad honestly if I look at it hollistically; we got 3 NHL players out of it (KK, Romanov, Harris) maybe a 4th with Ylonen. And now we got Dach & Laine using those assets. The KK pick makes it bad with the players selected after him and MB lost him for nothing but I think we did OK.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There are no prospects/players in the Habs system from the 2018 draft. The days of missing out so significantly at the draft are hopefully over.
Yeah, Montreal blew an entire decade of 1st-round picks. Whatever the reasons – mismanagement, bad trades, wrong picks – we ended up with nothing. Over 10 years, our biggest drafting successes were Gallagher in the 5th round and Lehkonen in the 2nd round. That had to be the worst record in the league.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don’t find it too bad honestly if I look at it hollistically; we got 3 NHL players out of it (KK, Romanov, Harris) maybe a 4th with Ylonen. And now we got Dach & Laine using those assets. The KK pick makes it bad with the players selected after him and MB lost him for nothing but I think we did OK.
Romanov was a good 2nd round pick, that's true. But we invested a decade of 1st round picks and returned so little... that's unforgivable.

Reactions: Tyson

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Romanov was a good 2nd round pick, that's true. But we invested a decade of 1st round picks and returned so little... that's unforgivable.
It's unforgivable but it's time to move on.

Separately there actually is a return. Poor performing NHL teams draft higher, so the return for drafting badly is Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, Demidov, ... And counting.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Separately there actually is a return. Poor performing NHL teams draft higher, so the return for drafting badly is Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, Demidov, ... And counting.
Except that if MB was still the GM it is likely he would have added more 3rd liners and lept ending up with picks around 12-15. And even if he had 1st picks where they actually landed it is highly unlikely he would have drafted any of the 3 players HuGo did.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I agree, we don't get anywhere dwelling on the past (provided we learn from it). Still, I wonder what would've happened to those solid Habs teams from 2014-2017 if we'd drafted better from 2009-2015. We had Price in his prime and a foundation of good-not-great players. Habs were one or two players away from being a legit playoff threat. Imagine if we'd drafted one or two of Kreider, Forsberg, Aho, Rakell, Coyle or Brock Nelson. Sigh...

But yeah, then we likely don't end up rebuilding and acquiring our current crew.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I agree, we don't get anywhere dwelling on the past (provided we learn from it). Still, I wonder what would've happened to those solid Habs teams from 2014-2017 if we'd drafted better from 2009-2015. We had Price in his prime and a foundation of good-not-great players. Habs were one or two players away from being a legit playoff threat. Imagine if we'd drafted one or two of Kreider, Forsberg, Aho, Rakell, Coyle or Brock Nelson. Sigh...

I wonder what my life would look like today if back in the period 2014-2017 I had invested more money into Bitcoin, Nvidia, Dominos pizza, Novavax, Tesla, Apple, etc ... Sigh ...

But the past is the past, hopefully I make better decisions moving forward.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I wonder what my life would look like today if back in the period 2014-2017 I had invested more money into Bitcoin, Nvidia, Dominos pizza, Novavax, Tesla, Apple, etc ... Sigh ...

But the past is the past, hopefully I make better decisions moving forward.
The Habs equivalent was your financial advisor investing your savings in Nortel and Enron.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As much as I did not like Bergevin/Timmins, the last three drafts added Mailloux, Kapanen, Roy, Guhle, Caufiled, Struble, Harvey Pinard - with no pick in top 10. That's not too shabby.

Reactions: DAChampion

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
As much as I did not like Bergevin/Timmins, the last three drafts added Mailloux, Kapanen, Roy, Guhle, Caufiled, Struble, Harvey Pinard - with no pick in top 10. That's not too shabby.

Yeah, but Hughes transform, Petry, Romanov, late 1st and high 2nd pick, Harris to Dach, Newhook, Laine, Matheson and 2nd pick.

Draft: Slafkovsky, Hutson, Beck, Engstrom, Reinbacher, Fowler, Volokhin, Xhekaj, Konyushkov, Miller, Demidov, Hage, Sawyer, Koivu, Thorpe and more.

Went Wughes.

I know Bergevin don't have the era of rebuilding a team, but he always said "That's hard to makes trade".

We just acquiring Patrik freaking Laine for Jordan freaking Harris.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yeah, Montreal blew an entire decade of 1st-round picks. Whatever the reasons – mismanagement, bad trades, wrong picks – we ended up with nothing. Over 10 years, our biggest drafting successes were Gallagher in the 5th round and Lehkonen in the 2nd round. That had to be the worst record in the league.
Timmins was our main issue. I know the development issue was big also, players did not grow under Lefebvre either.
We were such a mess at the draft table while other teams just flourished. The Bruins, Hawks, TB were all run very well. Later on, the Caps, Vegas, FLA were all very well run by their scouting and management.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I wasn't trying to prop up Bergevin/Timmins - just stating the obvious. BTW - the players I listed will be mostly part of the core in the rebuilt team.

Also, HUGO benefitted from three top 5 picks - including 1st overall.

I don't want to start a Bergevin-Hughes debate - it's not even close. I just wanted to add a tiny bit of rationality when rewriting history. The 2014-2017 drafting record is poor, but to be fair, Timmins did not have alot of selections and most of the 1st rounders were in the 20 range.

Call it the Carey Price effect...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yeah, but Hughes transform, Petry, Romanov, late 1st and high 2nd pick, Harris to Dach, Newhook, Laine, Matheson and 2nd pick.

Draft: Slafkovsky, Hutson, Beck, Engstrom, Reinbacher, Fowler, Volokhin, Xhekaj, Konyushkov, Miller, Demidov, Hage, Sawyer, Koivu, Thorpe and more.

Went Wughes.

I know Bergevin don't have the era of rebuilding a team, but he always said "That's hard to makes trade".

We just acquiring Patrik freaking Laine for Jordan freaking Harris.
Bergevin had a deeply flawed pilosophy......
Carey and Price and Da Playoff, and anything can happen. This along with NOT using the Draft properly, or using the extra Capspace ever was just the tip of the iceberg.
One piece out, one piece in..................bizzarre. Trades are hard......this is now all mind boggling to see what has happened in the transformation of the entire organization and the mindset.....

We all said Shame on Mol$on........we were correct.
Better days ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad