Proposal: Montreal and Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yes, 2 rivals trading, Yes petry is involve, no clue how both party will react to this, Yes it's kinda a bad timing to do this proposal with Nylander Struggling but he's clearly going to pick it up. Please fully read before posting, Please no salty answers, constructive post only

Petry (15% retained) 4.675M for this current season + 2 extra year

for

Sandin + Kapanen

Reasoning:

Toronto:

it's no secret, Toronto's Offense is hella stacked, Nylander just signed a 7M long term contract, Marner and Matthews are due to big raises, Kapanen is also looking for a contract next season, while it might be a bridge the 3.5M-ish+ might be problematic when it will be time to add Defense! Gardiner is likely leaving this offseason and toronto is in good shape for years to come on the Left side with Reilly and Dermott who will take bigger responsability next year! hence why i think Sandin could be expendable! Petry has been playing amazing hockey in the past 2 years, despite being 31, he's shown no sign of regress and would fit Toronto like a glove for the next 2 years in a half (3 playoffs) wich are High contend window.

Montreal:

Montreal is in no shape to contend, our division is currently too young and strong, Weber is likely stuck here and will be mentoring young guns for the years to come wich will prevent kids like Juulsen, Brook, Fleury to flourish and etasblished themself as NHLers. Montreal gets a good LHD prospect wich is a big need and a fast RW that can shoot the puck and follow Drouin and Domi!

Conclusion:

In my humble opinion, i think it's a solid trade for both side, Montreal gets a prospect in a position of need that can go directly to laval and add a young middle six RW. The point of the NHL is to win a Stanley cup and Toronto is right there, they have a solid window and despite losing Kapanen's offensive wich is currently on the 3rd line, Petry comes, brings PMD and stabilize their Defense wich will create more offensive in the end.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Decent amount of thoughts seems to have gone into this.
This Leafs fan says no thanks. I don't think we are legit cup contenders this or next year, so I'm not a fan of trading futures.
I'd rather see if Sandin can become a top 4 guy, and if Kappanen can become a legit top 6 guy. His development has been insane the last year or so.
Imo, best way to solve the D is to let our young guys (Lil, Sandin, Rosen, Dermott, Durzi, Rassanen) grow and develop, and see what they can do next year.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Nope.
I would rather look for a first (top 15-20) + top prospect from a team not the leafs. There is no point in making them exponentially stronger.
We should just keep. Did you see how easily he flew by Seguin on that 3on3 OT beauty? Yup, hes showing no signs of slowing down.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Yes, 2 rivals trading, Yes petry is involve, no clue how both party will react to this, Yes it's kinda a bad timing to do this proposal with Nylander Struggling but he's clearly going to pick it up. Please fully read before posting, Please no salty answers, constructive post only

for

Sandin + Kapanen

Reasoning:

Toronto:

it's no secret, Toronto's Offense is hella stacked, Nylander just signed a 7M long term contract, Marner and Matthews are due to big raises, Kapanen is also looking for a contract next season, while it might be a bridge the 3.5M-ish+ might be problematic when it will be time to add Defense! Gardiner is likely leaving this offseason and toronto is in good shape for years to come on the Left side with Reilly and Dermott who will take bigger responsability next year! hence why i think Sandin could be expendable! Petry has been playing amazing hockey in the past 2 years, despite being 31, he's shown no sign of regress and would fit Toronto like a glove for the next 2 years in a half (3 playoffs) wich are High contend window.

Montreal:

Montreal is in no shape to contend, our division is currently too young and strong, Weber is likely stuck here and will be mentoring young guns for the years to come wich will prevent kids like Juulsen, Brook, Fleury to flourish and etasblished themself as NHLers. Montreal gets a good LHD prospect wich is a big need and a fast RW that can shoot the puck and follow Drouin and Domi!

Conclusion:

In my humble opinion, i think it's a solid trade for both side, Montreal gets a prospect in a position of need that can go directly to laval and add a young middle six RW. The point of the NHL is to win a Stanley cup and Toronto is right there, they have a solid window and despite losing Kapanen's offensive wich is currently on the 3rd line, Petry comes, brings PMD and stabilize their Defense wich will create more offensive in the end.
If Leaf fans believe they are TRUE contenders this season than i believe this is the type of deal that could put them over the top.It also helps for the next 2 seasons. But i don't want the Habs to be the ones that possibly trades them the missing piece so i say no and would rather deal with another club if we decide to trade Petry.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Decent amount of thoughts seems to have gone into this.
This Leafs fan says no thanks. I don't think we are legit cup contenders this or next year, so I'm not a fan of trading futures.
I'd rather see if Sandin can become a top 4 guy, and if Kappanen can become a legit top 6 guy. His development has been insane the last year or so.
Imo, best way to solve the D is to let our young guys (Lil, Sandin, Rosen, Dermott, Durzi, Rassanen) grow and develop, and see what they can do next year.

-Lets agree to disagree on the contending part ( if the Defense gets better)

-As for Kapanen, he will always be behind Marner and Nylander, i dont see how he can become a legit top 6 guy in toronto!

-for the D, it realy depends how Dermott continues to progress but he's showing he could very soon be a top 4 Dman wich is why i thought sandin could be used to upgrade the right side.

-In my opinion you guys need to capitalize on prime Tavares, young matthews, Marner, Nylander Andersen, peak Kadri, Everything is Rose with Tavares right now he's still fairly young but your Window is in his Peak, not saying he will regress anytime soon, some player peaks longer than other but i still feel Toronto needs to go ALL out in the next 4 years counting this season!

Once again, i know the feel of trading prospect but at the end of the day it's about the stanley cup!

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Nope.
I would rather look for a first (top 15-20) + top prospect from a team not the leafs. There is no point in making them exponentially stronger.
We should just keep. Did you see how easily he flew by Seguin on that 3on3 OT beauty? Yup, hes showing no signs of slowing down.
Yep, Petry is still if not better as aging right now.

yes it's nice to draft your own player but that top prospect your speaking of would need to be a LHD and i don't know much team who are contending that has an extra top LHD prospect and needs a PMD like petry. Sandin is a good prospect will already be D+1 and can play in Laval! going for a 1st round (draft a LHD) and a good other prospect ( not LHD) would work but it still delayes the rebuild. the Kapanen + sandin, gives you a young roster player + a more ready LHD

Maybe Alexeyev + picks + cap dump for petry but i don't know if they would consider it

If Leaf fans believe they are TRUE contenders this season than i believe this is the type of deal that could put them over the top.It also helps for the next 2 seasons. But i don't want the Habs to be the ones that possibly trades them the missing piece so i say no and would rather deal with another club if we decide to trade Petry.
Tbh i don't care about about rivalry, When you trade it's about making your team better in the future, who cares who wins the cup if it's not your team? i'd be more than happy if the cup came back to Canada and the habs be better in the future!

Polite pass. And why is a playoff contending team trading a top pair D?
Like i said i've been saying this since early season, Habs aren't contenders, they should not even be battling for that wild card spot, division is too strong and theres better team out there, if it did happen we would get knock easily in the first round and keep pieces we should be trading to make this team better in the future, you're a leafs fan you should understand what im saying the leafs has been trying to bandaid for years before this rebuild, Mediocre sucks. why keep spending years theres when you can make smarter choice and quickly turn around faster? ex: Bruins.

Last edited:

Zack Kelly

Jan 1, 2019
Value wise I think it's solid. I would give up a top 4 RHD for a possible future top 4 LHD and a young scoring forward. But not this year. If the habs were in the same position they were last year I would be all in for that. This year unless all shit hits the fan if Montreal makes that trade then barely misses the play offs the streets of Montreal will riot

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Seems like a pretty rich offer for a player of Petry's calibre. Can anyone think of a comparable trade that would justify a roster player like Kapanen + a top prospect for a player like Petry? I'm drawing a blank.

I mean Larsson for Hall shows that solid defensemen are often rare to find and of high value on trade market.

I don't think every team will overpay at anytime for a player like Petry - but under the right circumstances and in the right time I think his value could be through the roof.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I mean Larsson for Hall shows that solid defensemen are often rare to find and of high value on trade market.

I don't think every team will overpay at anytime for a player like Petry - but under the right circumstances and in the right time I think his value could be through the roof.
I mean, Larsson was 24 years old at the time (Petry being 31). That trade is generally held up by anyone looking to get value for their dmen, but I think it should be accepted by now that the trade was the exception rather than the rule.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Both of the Leafs assets are rapidly appreciating in value. If Kapanen scores 30 this year we certainly don't need to add Sandin to him for Petry. If Sandin continues developing as he is, he's our best prospect and not getting moved for Petry.

Kapanen straight up or Sandin with a small plus would probably be fair. But I'd really rather hold on to both right now, they're both trending upwards.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

for

Sandin + Kapanen

Reasoning:

Toronto:

Montreal:

Conclusion:

Ya nooooo thank you.

How about Juulsen and Ploeling. Not very appetizing is it. We don’t need poor RHD at the expense of young cheap talented players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad