OT: MLB Thread 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i think braves win game 2, either because sale pitches in a do or die after mets take the first, or just because if it's a mets must-win, they have latent crumply tendencies

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Certainly possible, though if a team has a preference for the Brewers or the Padres in round one, they'd still have something to play for.

The Braves can only play the Padres since a sweep gives them a better record than the D-Backs, a split gives them same record as the Mets with the tiebreak, and getting swept leaves them out of the playoffs so if they win game 1 they truly have no incentive to win in game 2. I'm sure they want as quick of a game as possible, to rest as many starters as possible, and to squeeze 9 innings out of as many low leverage and position player (if within the rules) arms as possible. The Mets if they were to win game 1 could theoretically determine if they want to play Padres/Brewers but I don't see them doing anything different than Braves would. You're not going to use any high leverage arms in advance of 3 straight playoff games especially when a lot of them were prob used in game 1 of the DH (as well as Sunday and Saturday in Diaz and Maton.)

Reactions: nyr2k2

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
How we feeling? I want to believe that this group is different and resilient, as we've declared them dead several times this year, but they're still the Mets.

The Mets being the Mets will always be the prevailing thought in my head no matter what the circumstances are.

The most Mets outcome possible would be grinding out a close loss in game one and then getting our doors blown off by the Braves’ “whocareslol” backup roster thus missing the playoffs with the knife twist coming from an act of god last week.

Reactions: will1066

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The Mets being the Mets will always be the prevailing thought in my head no matter what the circumstances are.

The most Mets outcome possible would be grinding out a close loss in game one and then getting our doors blown off by the Braves’ “whocareslol” backup roster thus missing the playoffs with the knife twist coming from an act of god last week.
Easily, but it would only be that they blow the game in the 9th (using Diaz) and then he won't be available in G2 where someone else does the same thing.

It'd be the most Mets ending of a season ever recorded.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I see a lot of joking around about a gentlemen's agreement, but it is the Braves.

If it were us -and I'm sure a lot of Mets fans would agree- and we were playing one of those f***ing assholes from the AL East, I'd wanna sweep them.

Reactions: SoupNazi

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

I see a lot of joking around about a gentlemen's agreement, but it is the Braves.

If it were us -and I'm sure a lot of Mets fans would agree- and we were playing one of those f***ing assholes from the AL East, I'd wanna sweep them.
The Braves' subs, realizing a sweep takes the Mets out, play the game of their lives.

As William and Louis said it best, get rich and put you in the poor house at the same time.

Reactions: Machinehead

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

Even beyond the not using high leverage arms, trotting out a worse lineup, etc I'm not even convinced sweeping the Braves is beneficial for the Mets as it relates to the postseason. Your reward for a sweep is having to go through the Padres and Dodgers instead of the Brewers and Phillies. All are great teams but I'm signing up for the latter if I had to pick. That being said, I wouldn't be too upset if the Mets B lineup and Ottavino/Youngs/Brazobans happened to KO the Braves anyway.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Even beyond the not using high leverage arms, trotting out a worse lineup, etc I'm not even convinced sweeping the Braves is beneficial for the Mets as it relates to the postseason. Your reward for a sweep is having to go through the Padres and Dodgers instead of the Brewers and Phillies. All are great teams but I'm signing up for the latter if I had to pick. That being said, I wouldn't be too upset if the Mets B lineup and Ottavino/Youngs/Brazobans happened to KO the Braves anyway.
Yeah, obviously I wouldn't send my top guns out there for game 2, but I would have no kind of "everyone wins" attitude and I would be very happy to see a sweep.

I don't believe in matchups at this stage anyway. If there's a team in the first round you can't beat, you're not good enough.

Reactions: Kane One

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The travel alone is bad enough. Let's say that they do sweep the Braves today, they've got travel to San Diego. That is a 4 1/2 hour flight after travelling from Milwaukee yesterday. At least going back to Milwaukee is 2 hours. It's not ideal, but it's the best case scenario for them to get optimal rest prior to a potential G1 tomorrow.

As for the bolded, I am of firm belief that the Padres will beat whoever they face in the WC and beat the Dodgers too. That's the most dangerous team in the field IMO.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

The Mets have no shot in the playoffs anyway. Sweep the f***ing Braves.

At this point I might hate that team more than I like the Mets.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Mets have no shot in the playoffs anyway. Sweep the f***ing Braves.

At this point I might hate that team more than I like the Mets.
That's another factor as well.

You hope for the best, but if we were a 6 seed, and staring down the best record in baseball in the LDS, or maybe the Phillies which isn't much better, I'd be like "well this is the meat that's on the table."

If the Rangers, clinched and locked in, had a chance to knock out the Devils game 82, that's a playoff game to me.

I'm not saying it should be to the team, you have to stay healthy, but I'm into it.

Like I said, I'm sure most Mets fans are, but I saw some weird talk on Twitter today. Like, nah, do that with the Rockies or whatever. This is the Braves.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

You hope for the best, but if we were a 6 seed, and staring down the best record in baseball in the LDS, or maybe the Phillies which isn't much better, I'd be like "well this is the meat that's on the table."

If the Rangers, clinched and locked in, had a chance to knock out the Devils game 82, that's a playoff game to me.

I'm not saying it should be to the team, you have to stay healthy, but I'm into it.

Like I said, I'm sure most Mets fans are, but I saw some weird talk on Twitter today. Like, nah, do that with the Rockies or whatever. This is the Braves.
Plus, sweeping the Braves will give them so much f***ing momentum, especially after this lame series with Milwaukee. If they sweep the Braves, especially with who’s pitching, I won’t be afraid of anyone.

But I don’t see a sweep. Pls win one game lmao

Reactions: Machinehead

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

I'd love to crush the Braves as a fan, but if I were managing the Mets and they win the first game, I literally wouldn't have my team show up on the field for the next one. I'd rather not have a depleted bullpen.

Side note apparently game 1 today is a makeup from April 10th.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd love to crush the Braves as a fan, but if I were managing the Mets and they win the first game, I literally wouldn't have my team show up on the field for the next one. I'd rather not have a depleted bullpen.

Side note apparently game 1 today is a makeup from April 10th.
If the Mets win game 1, they clinched the playoffs in April. That's a record.

• Haha

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
If the Mets win game 1, they clinched the playoffs in April. That's a record.
A few years back, Bryan de la Cruz got traded to the Marlins and got called up to the big leagues for the first time. About a month later, a suspended Mets/Marlins game from April was resumed resulting in him officially recording his first major league hit when he was still a minor leaguer in another team's org.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad