Value of: Mittlestadt (summer)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Mitts is vital to the teams success next season. Only young NHL players or top prospects (25 and under) that are available are UPL, Jokiharju and Rosen.

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
Why are we trading Mitts right as he’s becoming a good player for us? I’d rather trade some of the magic beans in our prospect pool to shore up our D (not Kulich, Savoie, or Levi, but anyone else is fair game)
That is a good point but it comes down to his role on this team, what this team needs and how much he is going to cost to retain.

He plays mostly on the 3rd line but is capable of being a 2nd line center which I am sure his agent knows and will ask for that going rate after next season.

This team needs to get better defensively and defense is not his strong suit.

Trading him now for defensive help fills a need and allows a spot for one of our glut of forward prospects.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Id predict he won’t be traded.

If he is, it’ll be a piece on a larger deal for a big d or g upgrade. It won’t be a hockey swap. That’s Olofsson’s fate. It won’t be futures either.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Can he get traded…yes

will he get traded in offseason? I’d say 75% no

he is not being moved for picks or spare parts. This would be a big hockey trade involving 5+ items ( players, prospects, picks)

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yup. He’s in between that 50-60 points this year while getting the 5th most ice time on the team for forwards. But only a minute above rookies Quinn and Peterka who will likely surpass him in ice time next year (putting Mitts in the bottom six forwards for ice time). This will hurt his points a little bit, but I expect better line mates and some growth and he’ll still be in that 50-60 point range.
I think what the response to your original post was gettig at is that 50-60 points for a bottom 6 player is insanely good and is very seldomly seen. If he is a 50-60 poimt player and is neimg utilized in the bottom 6 (bottom 6 icetime ) … its hard to believe that both are true . True bottom 6 minutes while producing 50-60 points.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
See no reason to move from him and he has been filling in well on the top line while Tage is half rehabbing out there.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
That is a good point but it comes down to his role on this team, what this team needs and how much he is going to cost to retain.

He plays mostly on the 3rd line but is capable of being a 2nd line center which I am sure his agent knows and will ask for that going rate after next season.

This team needs to get better defensively and defense is not his strong suit.

Trading him now for defensive help fills a need and allows a spot for one of our glut of forward prospects.
He's fine defensively. The entire team sucks in their own end. You would trade a core piece because you're worried his agent will want him to be paid fairly? With so much other capital? A notion that has gotten more moldy as the season has progressed. Really man, some of the worst logic I've seen around here.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Everyone says they want a #4 Dman, and when they are offered one, they say, "oh, he's not good enough."

That's what a #4 is. He is in the bottom half of all Dmen in the league. He will have flaws, maybe big ones, but will be able to play 18-20 minutes/night regardless.

If i was the Sabres I wouldn't trade Mittelstadt for anything less than a really good #4 on a good contract. Middleton has been mentioned...he might be just about perfect... defensively minded, tough, 2M and change AAV. I don't think he will be traded, but maybe a player like him?

In general, though, I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade CM until the young prospects prove that they are good enough to take his place. Sabres cannot screw around for another year and not make the playoffs. They would be better off trading one of their prospects and a pick, IMO.

An alternative would be to simply overpay for a UFA Dman on a short term deal, and hope that the rest of the D mature in the meantime, and maybe someone like Johnson is ready in a year or two.

Keep Mittlestadt. If he reverts to meh next year then you don't re-sign him.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Everyone says they want a #4 Dman, and when they are offered one, they say, "oh, he's not good enough."

That's what a #4 is. He is in the bottom half of all Dmen in the league. He will have flaws, maybe big ones, but will be able to play 18-20 minutes/night regardless.

If i was the Sabres I wouldn't trade Mittelstadt for anything less than a really good #4 on a good contract. Middleton has been mentioned...he might be just about perfect... defensively minded, tough, 2M and change AAV. I don't think he will be traded, but maybe a player like him?

In general, though, I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade CM until the young prospects prove that they are good enough to take his place. Sabres cannot screw around for another year and not make the playoffs. They would be better off trading one of their prospects and a pick, IMO.

An alternative would be to simply overpay for a UFA Dman on a short term deal, and hope that the rest of the D mature in the meantime, and maybe someone like Johnson is ready in a year or two.

Keep Mittlestadt. If he reverts to meh next year then you don't re-sign him.
Regarding the #4, I think the thought for most Sabres fans is we have 2 glaring holes, goalie and #2 RHD. We have way too many valuable assets that aren’t being spent wisely if we don’t spend it on a top tier RHD. Too many young kids with potential that will need a shot as forwards and Dahlin Samuelsson Power locked in long term in D. Just getting someone serviceable in that role would be a waste.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Regarding the #4, I think the thought for most Sabres fans is we have 2 glaring holes, goalie and #2 RHD. We have way too many valuable assets that aren’t being spent wisely if we don’t spend it on a top tier RHD. Too many young kids with potential that will need a shot as forwards and Dahlin Samuelsson Power locked in long term in D. Just getting someone serviceable in that role would be a waste.
You have cap space, right? Just give Dumba a 3 year, 18M contract. That's an overpay, IMO, but you are doing it so he will go away after three years. Not the offensive force that he was a few years ago, but he can still really skate, is tough, and has some puck moving skill. Makes some mistakes, but makes up for it with his athleticism, usually. More of a 3D than a 4D....not a plodder.

Save your prospects and picks till something really good comes along. BUF needs to start making the playoffs, but their success is likely a few years down the road, when those picks/prospects start to mature.

I could be way off on Dumba's value. Part of me wouldn't be surprised to see him get a 6/36M contract, or a 2/9M. He is part of a really good D pair in MN, but it's hard to say how much of their success is to Brodin, and how much to Dumba. He is used to playing on a lot of minutes on a defensively oriented team, though.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Mittlestadt is not untouchable, but if we are trading him, it would be for a top player. His value is similar to what Tuch’s was at the time of the Eichel trade.

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
He's fine defensively. The entire team sucks in their own end. You would trade a core piece because you're worried his agent will want him to be paid fairly? With so much other capital? A notion that has gotten more moldy as the season has progressed. Really man, some of the worst logic I've seen around here.

I am not sure what you mean by “fine”? Not worst on the team? Because he is not good defensively.

Simple HF posters may not think about his next contract but I guarantee you Adams is and rightfully so.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I am not sure what you mean by “fine”? Not worst on the team? Because he is not good defensively.

Simple HF posters may not think about his next contract but I guarantee you Adams is and rightfully so.
Judging by your font, you are indeed not sure what "fine" means.

The entire forward group is not effective in their own zone. It's more of a system thing than an individual thing. Now if we move back to discussing the player, he's tenacious on the puck in the other two zones and there's really no reason to think he wouldn't be in his own zone.

Even a simple HF poster like myself wouldn't believe that Adams should take this strangely specific assumption you've made and build his salary construct upon it. At the cost of trading away what he, the head coach and several teammates have called the hardest working guy on the team, no less.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

he is pretty good defensively what a terrible take playing with Olofsson for most of the season tanked his +/- a stat that tells you nothing.

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
he is pretty good defensively what a terrible take playing with Olofsson for most of the season tanked his +/- a stat that tells you nothing.
😂If he was “pretty good” defensively you’d think our coaching staff would recognize that and put him on the PK as we’ve had historically bad penalty kill all season.

As now he sandwiched between Casey Fitzgerald and Pilut in total short handed time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad