Value of: Mittlestadt (summer)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
I don't get the desire to ship him out. The Sabres current regime has to make the playoffs next season or it will be considered a big disappointment. It seems unlikely you'd get a top 4 defenseman, especially a RHD. So a draft pick that is more likely to not make the NHL at all or a prospect that is not likely to become the caliber of player that Mitts is right now?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
At EV he was on the Sabres 2nd line. Next year I'd expect Peterka-Cozens-Quinn to comfortably be the 2nd line, instead of the 3rd/4th line they were this year.

He'll have better assignments and 'suddenly' get it.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
As the biggest Mittelstadt critic on the Sabres board, I'll even admit he's had a solid season.

I think, given where his contract is at, Buffalo should look at all options for him.

Keeping him this summer is fine

Moving him to address other needs on the roster is also fine. His upside isn't that high (probably a 60 pt forward in a career year and float between 40-50 points depending on usage/PP time, etc). Similar to a Josh Bailey.

The only mistake Buffalo can make with him this summer is giving him a long term contract. Given the absolute metric ton of draft capital spent on forwards, they shouldn't be giving any middle six wingers long term deals unless they are irreplaceable. Mittelstadt isn't.

If a team wants him for a D-man or goalie, fine moving him along. Not going to sell him off for picks (well, yet. Next summer would be another story)

Reactions: Jacob582

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
He’s turned into a really strong player for the Sabres. He’s feisty, high motor, good forecheck and backcheck, engages in board battles. He has a decent shot but doesn’t use it at all so he’s strictly a playmaker.

Just a solid glue guy that is more valuable to his own team than anyone else. Basically a 50-60 point bottom six’r that does everything pretty well. I don’t think he’s going to become anything more than that
50-60 point bottom six'r???

Reactions: 57special

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
50-60 point bottom six'r???

Yup. He’s in between that 50-60 points this year while getting the 5th most ice time on the team for forwards. But only a minute above rookies Quinn and Peterka who will likely surpass him in ice time next year (putting Mitts in the bottom six forwards for ice time). This will hurt his points a little bit, but I expect better line mates and some growth and he’ll still be in that 50-60 point range.

Reactions: alasania94

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Yup. He’s in between that 50-60 points this year while getting the 5th most ice time on the team for forwards. But only a minute above rookies Quinn and Peterka who will likely surpass him in ice time next year (putting Mitts in the bottom six forwards for ice time). This will hurt his points a little bit, but I expect better line mates and some growth and he’ll still be in that 50-60 point range.
haha I meant more that it was crazy to think about having a bottom six'r putting up those points! my habs barely have a first liner doing that LOL

Reactions: Dirty Dog

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
encouraging year from him. In a vacuum, I would most certainly consider trading Middleton for him, but I don’t think our GM/ coach would. They like players with “heavy” games, and most of their young prospects( Rossi) and D(Spurgeon, Brodin)are lacking that. Trading away their only “heavy” Dman for a lightweight like CM just isn’t going to happen.
If MN had a couple more guys like Middleton they might consider it.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
maybe with a better attack-defensive balance reaching the playoffs would be possible. You have an excellent top 6 and some good defenders but Toews will stabilize your defensive game. And another grit 3rd line player like Nidereiter(example). You have already Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund, Rosen, Kisakov, Rousek and first 2023. Quebec Nordiques trade Sundin for Clark (Lemieux) and Lefevbre and win the cup some years later.

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
Yes, he’s been solid this season but…

He’s going to want a raise after next season. If he puts up another 50 plus point season you’re going to look at $4 million at a minimum to sign him and with a glut of forward prospects in the system Buffalo can’t afford that for a 3rd liner.

Buffalo is set on offense and needs to improve defensively. Trading Mitts for a defenseman would help this team more than keeping him IMO.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes, he’s been solid this season but…

He’s going to want a raise after next season. If he puts up another 50 plus point season you’re going to look at $4 million at a minimum to sign him and with a glut of forward prospects in the system Buffalo can’t afford that for a 3rd liner.

Buffalo is set on offense and needs to improve defensively. Trading Mitts for a defenseman would help this team more than keeping him IMO.

True, though they don't likely have to move him this summer since they don't have sure-fire graduates looking to push into his roster spot yet. That gives them the option of time and if he replicates his point production in a depth role, it may push his value a bit more if they then decide to trade him.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think when discussing point production, usage is really important here.

Mittelstadt has spent the majority of the season playing with a combo of Olofsson, Jost, Asplund, and Hinostroza, and there just has not been any high-end chemistry. He's been playing a solid two-way game, but has been mostly inconsistent offensively on the third line.

On the more rare occasions where he has played with Tuch or Cozens, he has definitely found more chemistry and his offensive skillset has shined. It is hard not to believe he could easily have a 60+ point season if he were playing a top 6 role all season playing with either.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Maybe "3rd line winger" means different things to different people?

Only 28 left wingers have scored more points than Mittelstadt this year. Just 13 have more assists.

In today's NHL, good 3rd line wingers statistically put up about 25-30 points.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Why would Buffalo need a #3? I’m not a Buffalo fan, but Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson (I know I probably misspelled that) seems like a great top 3 to me.

Reactions: Dutronc

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Why would Buffalo need a #3? I’m not a Buffalo fan, but Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson (I know I probably misspelled that) seems like a great top 3 to me.

Buffalo has 2 defensive holes right now. Currently our top 6 looks like this:

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Jokiharju
Stillman/Bryson-Lyubushkin

On his best nights, Jokiharju is a legit top 4 NHL defenseman. On his average night, he's probably a good 3rd pair RHD. On his off nights....woof.

Stillman has been much better than we were lead to believe by Canucks fans......but many Sabres fans believe that we can do better at 3rd pairing LHD.

What many Buffalo fans are looking for, besides the 3rd pairing LHD upgrade (and shooting Bryson into the sun) is a top 4 guy that can either pair with Power OR pair with Dahlin and knock Sammy down to pair with Power. What we all crave is cloning Samuelsson and sticking that clone with Power.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Pretty sure only Kulich and Savoie are reasonably going to make the Sabres next year. Mitts still has a pretty good spot on the roster locked in I would think.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I like Mitts but I think you are looking more at a "Mitts + 1st or 2nd for young-ish, solid 4 or 5" kind of deal. Kind of like when Sens dealt Foligno + 2nd for Methot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad