Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
There is no scenario where Marner accepts a nearly 2 million dollar per year paycut for 8 years with a rapidly rising salary cap.

If Marner cares about rebuilding his brand/reputation/popularity in this city (and he may not) then he should accept the same 8 years, 11.5M Nylander got, but it's just dreaming imo to think he will take less.

I could honestly see Marner taking an 11 million, 8 year deal. I think if that’s what Toronto has to offer and Marner’s back is up against the wall he will take it. But this has to be offered in training camp. You cannot let him go on a tear and then try and resign him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There is no scenario where Marner accepts a nearly 2 million dollar per year paycut for 8 years with a rapidly rising salary cap.

If Marner cares about rebuilding his brand/reputation/popularity in this city (and he may not) then he should accept the same 8 years, 11.5M Nylander got, but it's just dreaming imo to think he will take less.

Just like Stamkos TB had their price they were willing to pay to stay and if you want more $$$ then there is the door. Stammer was Captain and Cup winner and Rocket Richard winner and it didn't matter going forward.

Lets face it Marner is in this positon because of his own GREED.. He could have signed for 8 years current contract and then would still have 3 more years at $10.9 mil.. But he wanted a shorter term to be able to maximize his earnings at Leafs Cup competitiveness expense in a Salary Cap World. Now it might cost him his Leafs career and forced to move on to chase the TOP $$.

For Leafs to get their salary cap under control they can only afford 2 X double digit players Matthews and Nylander and JT and MM is either <$ 10 mil our OUT.

If Marner leaves Toronto next summer as a UFA over money that is on him not the Leafs management, who does not need to double down on a past contract mistake.

However that said I think you're likely going to be right in that once JT contract ends next year it gives the Leafs some more breathing room at which point extending Marner with an expanding cap is the most likely outcome, barring another Leafs early playoff exit / Shanahan firing / Marner invisible playoffs / CEO Pelley demanding change etc.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
wow he is still here

No takers at all. Not even Arizona, a rumour Montreal .This is getting better and better. You can not sell him with 100% retention. Untradeable
A lot of players are untradable. No star player trades at all.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
wow he is still here

No takers at all. Not even Arizona, a rumour Montreal .This is getting better and better. You can not sell him with 100% retention. Untradeable
What GM is willing to give up assets for the privilege of having to deal with the Marner camp and paying him $12+m?

1721060818613.png

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Still seems like overpaying Nylander instead of moving him was a big missed opportunity for a core correction.
Hopefully I'm wrong here and not Treliving.
wouldnt the correction be moving the overpaid player that wants a raise ?? and not the one who signed at 8 years at a cap hit that looks great in 2 years that also plays better in the clutch

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well, we know those "junior hockey moves" don't work in the NHL ...
:laugh: That's another good one.
I wonder how people would view Nylander if they knew what really happen there.

I'm curious is marner goes 8?

To me if he pulls a Matthews we know he isn't putting the team first.

Matthews deal was all about the next deal.
Not sure what kind of deal he's looking for.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just like Stamkos TB had their price they were willing to pay to stay and if you want more $$$ then there is the door. Stammer was Captain and Cup winner and Rocket Richard winner and it didn't matter going forward.

Lets face it Marner is in this positon because of his own GREED.. He could have signed for 8 years current contract and then would still have 3 more years at $10.9 mil.. But he wanted a shorter term to be able to maximize his earnings at Leafs Cup competitiveness expense in a Salary Cap World. Now it might cost him his Leafs career and forced to move on to chase the TOP $$.

For Leafs to get their salary cap under control they can only afford 2 X double digit players Matthews and Nylander and JT and MM is either <$ 10 mil our OUT.

If Marner leaves Toronto next summer as a UFA over money that is on him not the Leafs management, who does not need to double down on a past contract mistake.

However that said I think you're likely going to be right in that once JT contract ends next year it gives the Leafs some more breathing room at which point extending Marner with an expanding cap is the most likely outcome, barring another Leafs early playoff exit / Shanahan firing / Marner invisible playoffs / CEO Pelley demanding change etc.
He also could have performed in the playoffs. If he did, nobody would be talking about trading him. As such we remember puck over the boards penalties, crying in the penalty box, whining to refs when he is touched, shying away from contact, passing to Edmundson instead of shooting, turnovers leading to goals, looking like a passenger on OT losing goals, QBing one of the worst PPs in the playoffs, throwing a hissy fit etc. etc. etc.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
wouldnt the correction be moving the overpaid player that wants a raise ?? and not the one who signed at 8 years at a cap hit that looks great in 2 years that also plays better in the clutch
If we could go back in history and trade Nylander, maybe we can go further back and tell the Marner camp to take a hike.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He also could have performed in the playoffs. If he did, nobody would be talking about trading him. As such we remember puck over the boards penalties, crying in the penalty box, whining to refs when he is touched, shying away from contact, passing to Edmundson instead of shooting, turnovers leading to goals, looking like a passenger on OT losing goals, QBing one of the worst PPs in the playoffs, throwing a hissy fit etc. etc. etc.

I still think, this year in particular, that Marner was hampered by the high ankle sprain he suffered and whether people remember or not, came back from way quicker than expected.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why would he waive for Arizona or Montreal? I wouldn't.
He can be the face of their franchise. He knows the only team that is dumb enough to pay him what he is asking is the team he is on. He's going to try to do what Nylander did and force the Leafs to pay him. Let's see if Tre has a spine this time.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I still think, this year in particular, that Marner was hampered by the high ankle sprain he suffered and whether people remember or not, came back from way quicker than expected.
The Leafs should have come out and said it. It would take some of the heat off the kid. The Leafs are certainly not doing him any favours IMO.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If you weren't expecting them to be able to move one of the core, why are you so upset that they didn't?

I agree that they haven't succeeded, but I also agree that we don't know what or how much they have tried.

While I don't necessarily agree, I understand that Tre prefers to make big changes in the off-season, so I can somewhat see not bringing Berube in, even though I would have been as happy as anyone to see Keefe go. At the same time, I don't think you should include not firing Keefe mid-season on Pelley's resume.

If, after next summer, the core four are all still here (and we haven't won at least two rounds), we can legitimately complain.
I’m not upset. Two yrs in a row they’ve insinuated they needed change. Dubas said it, he was let go and they hired Treliving. This year, they insinuated change was coming and everything was on the table. They changed coaches.

Why complain next year if it still doesn’t work. What’s so diffent about next summer?

Who said he had a high ankle sprain?

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’m not upset. Two yrs in a row they’ve insinuated they needed change. Dubas said it, he let go and they hire Treliving. This year, they insinuated change was coming and everything was on the table. They changed coaches.

Why complain next year if it still doesn’t work. What’s so diffent about next summer?

Who said he had a high ankle sprain?

I mean next summer is fundamentally different based on contacts that are ending....

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
When they were going over injuries in the season ender presser they literally mentioned nothing about Mitch having lingering effects from his injury. He had plenty of time to recover from it before the playoffs.
Yet some fans shit on Hyman for playing with a torn knee ligament vs Boston and playing vs Montreal after coming off a cheap knee on knee hit from Edler and missing the final weeks of that season.

These guys are the furthest things from playoff warriors.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When they were going over injuries in the season ender presser they literally mentioned nothing about Mitch having lingering effects from his injury. He had plenty of time to recover from it before the playoffs.
Didn’t he bark at reporters for suggesting he had ankle sprain. My guess it was something in his calf

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yet some fans shit on Hyman for playing with a torn knee ligament vs Boston and playing vs Montreal after coming off a cheap knee on knee hit from Edler and missing the final weeks of that season.

These guys are the furthest things from playoff warriors.
Yeah and I'm pretty sure Draisaitl put up 2 PPG in the 2022 playoffs even though he suffered a high ankle sprain as well those playoffs.

Like heaven forbid we just don't desperately cling to dumb excuses to protect poor Mitchy with his 3 points in 7 games.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He also came back several games before the playoffs. If it was that bad, they would have let him sit out the rest of the regular season. Excuse train is unlimited

Reactions: ToneDog and IPS

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He also came back several games before the playoffs. If it was that bad, they would have let him sit out the rest of the regular season. Excuse train is unlimited
Anytime a player is off with a lengthy injury, he needs games to ease back into game condition. I’d think playoffs wouldn’t be the ideal time to start that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad