How close was Ed Jovanovski to having a HHOF career?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
A highly regarded physical, two-way defenceman, he was a runner-up for the Calder and played 1,128 games.

International accomplishments include the 1995 World Junior Gold Medal, 2002 Olympic Gold Medal, and 2004 World Cup win.

Despite his long tenure as an elite D-man, he was never a finalist for the Norris.

Did Jovo-Cop need more hardware? A higher "peak?" Curious to read your thoughts.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He was kind of Dejardins-ish. Great, long career, top (or co-top) Dman on a top team for years, pretty decorated in accomplishments. But he never had that one season where his play (or the media narrative) put him in favorable Norris position.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I remember Jovanovski in his draft year. He had played relatively lowly Junior B in his 16-year-old season...I'm not sure why, perhaps he was considering U.S. college, but I don't know. Anyway, I think he was quite a surprise that season, and rocketed up the draft lists.

I attended the CHL prospect game (in Moncton) that season, I'm pretty sure Jovanovski was playing (I especially remember Jeff Friesen and Jeff O'Neil).

Jovanovski obviously was big, liked to hit, was mobile, etc., so he was impossible to ignore, and a lot of people had high hopes for him. So, drafted 1st overall.

But he never was quite as good as was hoped., even though he had a good career.

Not close to the HHOF.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I remember Jovanovski in his draft year. He had played relatively lowly Junior B in his 16-year-old season...I'm not sure why, perhaps he was considering U.S. college, but I don't know.
I think he had just started playing hockey like 3 or 5 years before that. Might have been a reason. But I didn't see him before his NHL time, so I don't know.

Didn't have a great head for the game overall, which limited his upside.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
2 things I just learned today:
-- Some fool voted Jovanovski the 5th-best defenceman in the NHL during his 1995-96 rookie season (in Norris voting).
-- Jovo's career points season was 2008 with Phoenix, when he had 51 points.

Reactions: Dingo

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
2 things I just learned today:
-- Some fool voted Jovanovski the 5th-best defenceman in the NHL during his 1995-96 rookie season (in Norris voting).
-- Jovo's career points season was 2008 with Phoenix, when he had 51 points.
ya, i saw the 51 pts today, too.

NOT a lot of production for a 'gifted offensive dman' who also played on a high scoring team in Van.

And he was a bit of a flustercuck in his own end.

I think he won a lot of hearts of TSN highlight-watchers - big, fast, big hits, big shot, fights...... probably about as good as Iafrate..... at best.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Jovo learnt how to skate and started playing hockey at 13

If he started playing at let’s say 7-8 pr 9 maybe

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Not close.

With his lack of offensive productivity, he wasn't getting into the HOF unless he was super elite in his own zone.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A highly regarded physical, two-way defenceman, he was a runner-up for the Calder and played 1,128 games.

International accomplishments include the 1995 World Junior Gold Medal, 2002 Olympic Gold Medal, and 2004 World Cup win.

Despite his long tenure as an elite D-man, he was never a finalist for the Norris.

Did Jovo-Cop need more hardware? A higher "peak?" Curious to read your thoughts.

Was he really regarded as a 2 way dman though? I seem to recall he was an offensive dman that played with emotion, and fire. I don't think he was ever particularly known for his defensive play.

Reactions: dalewood12

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Was he really regarded as a 2 way dman though? I seem to recall he was an offensive dman that played with emotion, and fire. I don't think he was ever particularly known for his defensive play.
That's how I remember it, too.

(I also recall Rangers' guy John Davidson often criticizing Jovanovski's defensive game, albeit that was early in his career.)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
ya, i saw the 51 pts today, too.

NOT a lot of production for a 'gifted offensive dman' who also played on a high scoring team in Van.

And he was a bit of a flustercuck in his own end.

I think he won a lot of hearts of TSN highlight-watchers - big, fast, big hits, big shot, fights...... probably about as good as Iafrate..... at best.

Not sure why you bring up his nucks stint as bad offensively. He was 13th in the league in PPG and the best on the nucks during that stint. That's not bad. Not HoF worthy obviously but thats pretty good production for an offensive D.

He wasnt as good as Ozolinsh was with Crawfords Avs but then again he didnt have the same level of support cast either plus splitting offensive numbers with Öhlund.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Not sure why you bring up his nucks stint as bad offensively. He was 13th in the league in PPG and the best on the nucks during that stint. That's not bad. Not HoF worthy obviously but thats pretty good production for an offensive D.

He wasnt as good as Ozolinsh was with Crawfords Avs but then again he didnt have the same level of support cast either plus splitting offensive numbers with Öhlund.
i didnt say 'bad offensively'.

He was 6th in scoring amongst dmen one season, and 10th another. For a guy known for his offence, and also for sub par defence, this is not good as far as this thread is concerned.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He peaked with two 6th place Norris finishes, but by age 27 he had made it to a SCF, won Gold at the Olympics and won the World Cup of Hockey.

Of course he'd never come close to any of those three things again, but it ain't nothin.

Reactions: dalewood12

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's kind of funny how FLA has had two first overall picks and both have been used on defensemen who were pretty good but nothing too special (Jovo and Ekblad).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad