Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I mean 97 points in 72 games, how dare anyone make such a wild extrapolation, based on simple reason and fair minded perspectives. The horror!

And then to quibble with it too….
Maybe if he wasn’t too busy trying figure skating moves, he would have played the full season and got his 100 points. So, up to now, not a 100 point player

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Flat earthers have similar views because they can't see past the horizon.

Lets not conflate issues here. Putting out that an ask of 8.5 x8 was unreasonable at that time seems a bit silly now, doesn't it?
In hindsight 8.5x8 looks very reasonable. Unfortunately that ship sailed once they signed Tavares.

Timing is interesting, we upgraded the D pretty substantially with Muzzin and Brodie coming over the next 24 months. Brodie fizzled out this year, but he was a legit top 4 D until this year, same with Muzzin up until the minute he stopped playing.

Jones was good value for about 3 seasons between the Marner contract kicking in and his current overpayment where he's arguably a top 5 worst contract in the game
In fairness, he said "Jones type" trade. Six years later we have won one lousy round while these guys have been playoff disappointments.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
In hindsight 8.5x8 looks very reasonable. Unfortunately that ship sailed once they signed Tavares.

In fairness, he said "Jones type" trade. Six years later we have won one lousy round while these guys have been playoff disappointments.
They signed Tavares July 1. They couldn't begin negotiations on Marner until that date. The ask of 8.5 x 8 was after that date and ended when the season began...as Marner's agent warned would happen if an agreement wasn't made.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Ferris literally negates it. He notes that the referenced offer was part of "a normal course of business", was "standard practice at that time of year", and they were in a good place going into the season. Of course an initial offer from a team is going to be lower relative to worth than a final contract. That's how negotiations work. The disrespect had been from Lou.

I call that damage control. Nothing more.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
lol! Some of us realized back in day 1 the most likely outcome was Mitch was being extended, some just coming to that conclusion now. Better late than never… lol!

If you're referring to me then you've completely misunderstood my meaning - I haven't come to any conclusions whatsoever.

If he gets extended I hope the contract does not include a full No movement clause. Management needs an out in case of future shit playoff performances by MM.

I agree but I don't see it happening. Nylander and Matthews both have MNC's and Marner has an ego as big as the moon (thinks he's on the same tier as Matthews) so I would bet a ton that he doesn't agree to that.

Would be hilarious though if he did agree to that and was traded before the ink dried on the contract. One can dream. :)

Reactions: CelticDruid

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m disliking this kid more and more with every day of this off-season. Marner needs to realize he’s not wanted.
it's starting to remind me of the show Baby Reindeer, and that's not good.Everyone should know when it's time to leave the party.........

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Lool. And then we'll hear it will be before training camp. Then we'll hear it will be at the deadline. Then he will be signed and we'll hear that it's actually a discount because XYZ. And then we'll hear that Tavares' cap space will be used to improve the team. He's not getting moved unless the Leafs have their socks blown off AND it's a good team that will pay Marner what he wants. No good team will pay that. But there is a team that THINKS it's good and will pay Marner what he wants... :help:
Its almost like you've seen this movie before.....;)

myleafs

May 25, 2021
As they should. The guy is a very good player despite criticisms (warranted criticisms mind).

He has screwed the team over in contract negotiations, alongside Matthews, but he is still worth signing vs. losing him for free or trading him and not getting back that much value in a package for a bonafide regular-season superstar.

The sad thing is that running back Mat/Mar/Nyl is actually the most logical thing to do, barring getting a great package for Mitch.

:banghead::banghead:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Would Marner waive to go to Ottawa?
Who knows, but it's obvious the resigning is the big thing. Playing with Stutzle doesn't quite have the cache of playing with "the highest paid player in the league" but it's true that Stutzles #'s are getting better and better, and Tkachuk is there to step in when necessary.

Pinto would slot in immediately as the 3c and Chychrun becomes Reillys partner, they would only then have to sign one of Montour, Zadorov or Tanev.

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Wasn't Rodrigues' qualifying offer over $2M?

Which is why Dubas didn't qualify him. Not sure why Dubas traded for Rodrigues to begin with though. It's shit like this that really shows just how incompetent Dubas was at his job.

Ignoring everything that led up to the Kapanen trade, the fact of the matter is that Dubas traded for a player he didn't even qualify, and then let return to THE EXACT SAME TEAM he acquired him from for no return whatsoever, and on only a one million dollar contract instead of his two million dollar qualifying offer.

Am I the only one who realizes Dubas was responsible for Pittsburgh getting their player half price because of Dubas making this trade?
All those wasted or squandered draft picks are catching up, what an absolute doofus.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd rather lose a trade or lose him for nothing rather than continue to lose for the next 8 years.

This is where I'm at as well and I'm surprised that there are still a number of people here who don't seem to care about the playoffs and are willing to commit to another long term deal with the wuss. I mean either they don't care about playoff success or they're on Marner's payroll, hard to explain it any other way.

Reactions: Petrus and MCR74

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So do we think that was a good post? Personally I liked the D additions I noted and think we need to look for those type of impact D this summer

I'm happy to move on from Marner but it's because of the lack of production and major gaffes in key moments. I didn't see that projected in the post

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
This is where I'm at as well and I'm surprised that there are still a number of people here who don't seem to care about the playoffs and are willing to commit to another long term deal with the wuss. I mean either they don't care about playoff success or they're on Marner's payroll, hard to explain it any other way.

Exactly. Do you really want another 8 years of Marner loafing in the playoffs? l don't.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So do we think that was a good post? Personally I liked the D additions I noted and think we need to look for those type of impact D this summer

I'm happy to move on from Marner but it's because of the lack of production and major gaffes in key moments. I didn't see that projected in the post
He was right that we would not win with 4 guys making $39. Sadly they got even more.

Agree with your comments. I would have signed Tavev instead of Brodie but Brodie was good until the last year and some. Loved and miss Muzzin.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hopefully he's wrong. The core needs a shake up in the worst way.
Sadly, it sure looks like they will be running it back. It will be the same song and dance that they tried to move him but could not find a good deal. Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Marner not named one of the first 6 players for team Canada so I hope he doesnt expect to be paid like one.
Of course he does

Count me in too. I’m to the point I don’t care if he walks for nothing……it would be better then giving him 12.5 for 8 years

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad