Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Everyone noticed the Leafs were a different team in games 5 and 6. And they won them.

When you dont have AM as the focal point, and linemates arent focused on feeding him passes, the team changes to a harder working grindy style which is more like playoff hockey. AM's style of play isnt suited to playoff hockey unless he gets lucky and gets lots of juicy rebounds to bury or MM, WN, JT or MR are feeding him sweet passes at the circle or on PP. But playoff hockey is tighter, more blocked passes and shots and AM doesn't like getting in front of the net to bang in garbage goals. So his production drops like a rock.

It's not surprising WN is the most consistent point producer since he can dangle on his own and create his own scoring chances.. He also has a combo of zooming around and shooting and also getting close to the net.

My Dad said similar. Thought they should leave AM out for game 7.

Maybe you guys are right. Who knows.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Everyone noticed the Leafs were a different team in games 5 and 6. And they won them.

When you dont have AM as the focal point, and linemates arent focused on feeding him passes, the team changes to a harder working grindy style which is more like playoff hockey. AM's style of play isnt suited to playoff hockey unless he gets lucky and gets lots of juicy rebounds to bury or MM, WM, JT or MR are feeding him sweet passes at the circle or on PP. But playoff hockey is tighter, more blocked passes and shots and AM doesn't like getting in front of the net to bang in garbage goals. So his production drops like a rock.

It's not surprising WM is the most consistent point producer since he can dangle on his own and create his own scoring chances.. He also has a combo of zooming around and shooting and also getting close to the net.

That's not accurate...Matthews works his ass off in the playoffs, battles and goes into corners to dig for pucks and is not shy physically or shy to go in front of the opposition's net...he doesn't need to be fed sweet passes to score, although getting a good pass helps, but that's simply hockey...an average NHL player could pass the puck.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
My Dad said similar. Thought they should leave AM out for game 7.

Maybe you guys are right. Who knows.
I said the same thing to my buddies. Why rock the boat in game 7. Nobody even knows how good he would be either. He did nothing all game too. He got an assist on a broken play where he scooped up a loose puck when a different Leaf player and a Bruin tangled up in the corner and passed to WN. Other than that. Nothing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

When you dont have AM as the focal point, and linemates arent focused on feeding him passes, the team changes to a harder working grindy style which is more like playoff hockey. AM's style of play isnt suited to playoff hockey unless he gets lucky and gets lots of juicy rebounds to bury or MM, WN, JT or MR are feeding him sweet passes at the circle or on PP. But playoff hockey is tighter, more blocked passes and shots and AM doesn't like getting in front of the net to bang in garbage goals. So his production drops like a rock.

It's not surprising WN is the most consistent point producer since he can dangle on his own and create his own scoring chances.. He also has a combo of zooming around and shooting and also getting close to the net.
AM's style of play is just fine. Don't know if you saw game 2 but our 69 goal scorer Selke nominee dominated that one.
That's not accurate...Matthews works his ass off in the playoffs, battles and goes into corners to dig for pucks and is not shy physically or shy to go in front of the opposition's net...he doesn't need to be fed sweet passes to score, although getting a good pass helps, but that's simply hockey...an average NHL player could pass the puck.
This.

Is that posted by our Zeke the stats freak?
I remember Zeke. Him saying that Dubas was his soul mate was for me, his most memorable post. :laugh::laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Is that posted by our Zeke the stats freak?
Considering the content of that post, I doubt it as he was a massive Marner fan. Then again, I suppose he might have turned on him.

Man what happened to Zeke? He had a chart for everything. I told him a game was making me nervous and he produced a chart for his blood pressure
Haha, that's awesome!

• Haha
Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The one fact you pointed out is he did in fact shot it in the net once last night and twice the game before . In a 2 game span not one of the other players let alone the 11 million dollar club put one in the net……..so ya Willy gets the love he is deserving of right now
Only Wendel has scored more goals in elimination games than Willy. 10 to 8 (and counting).

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

You're both right.

1. When Matthews is on the ice, the Leafs are always guilty of trying to feed him knowing the kind of shot he has... it makes them predictable which is bad, but if he can learn to dish just a little bit like Kucherov and Pastrnak do, he'd be even more dangerous.

2. Having Matthews on the ice creates a "cultural" problem for the Leafs, where everyone else goes out with the mentality "Matthews will score for us".

3. Despite being somebody who looks to find seams and get open, Matthews is an aggresive forechecker, and extremely strong on the puck in the corners; which is the kind of hockey that you need to play in the playoffs. Even in game 7, where he was obviously nowhere near 100%, he had some elite sequences down low.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
The people talking about Marner's style not being effective in the playoffs are accurate.

Willy and Matthews are North/South. They want to go to the net and are always trying to get into the inside on puck battles and open ice plays. They work for their space. Marner doesn't. His style is about space and openness and the playoffs you have less of it. So he becomes REALLY perimeter orientated.

You can question Matthews and Willy in terms of mental makeup and if they can win in the playoffs. But stylistically, I would much rather try it with them than Marner. Plus Matthews and Willy are clearly tougher and more physical than Mitch.

I can't think of a single player who plays like Mitch who won. Comparing him to Kane are off-base. Willy is much closer to Kane stylistically than Marner is.

I can't think of a player who plays like Mitch who won anything.
Kane attacked with speed and could play through traffic north-south; thats something marner cant do

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
His lack of physicality in the playoffs is quite upsetting when everyone else picks up their physical game, but on that particular play he had a split-second decision and made the wrong one. To suggest that he had the time to calculate that he'd get hit if he went short-side and that's why he chose to forgo the goal is just piling on.
Knowing where the goalie was and where he got the puck, he's either an idiot or he was scared to circle back for fear that whomever is chasing him would wreck him.

That's honestly what was going on through his head.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
You're both right.

1. When Matthews is on the ice, the Leafs are always guilty of trying to feed him knowing the kind of shot he has... it makes them predictable which is bad, but if he can learn to dish just a little bit like Kucherov and Pastrnak do, he'd be even more dangerous.

2. Having Matthews on the ice creates a "cultural" problem for the Leafs, where everyone else goes out with the mentality "Matthews will score for us".

3. Despite being somebody who looks to find seams and get open, Matthews is an aggresive forechecker, and extremely strong on the puck in the corners; which is the kind of hockey that you need to play in the playoffs. Even in game 7, where he was obviously nowhere near 100%, he had some elite sequences down low.
He passes just fine did you see the willy set up.....the only problem is he usually has guys on his line that can't score and when he does the coach re jigs the line up

Reactions: saffronleaf

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
yeah he shouldve went to the puck carrier leaving the slot open for zacha to attack on a potential rebound.

300 IQ comment over here showing your masterclass understanding of defensive positioning lol

It’s ok Willy you’re signed up for another 8, go back to floating as much as you want.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Man what happened to Zeke? He had a chart for everything. I told him a game was making me nervous and he produced a chart for his blood pressure
I was impressed how he made charts in such insanely rapid fashion until I discovered chatGPT, which is what Zeke was clearly using for his rapid fire charts and stats.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
If Marner completely refuses to work with management on a trade elsewhere then cut your losses and buy him out. View it as an addition by subtraction culture change type move and move on.
Can you buy out a NMC contract? Gutsy move

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
The people talking about Marner's style not being effective in the playoffs are accurate.

Willy and Matthews are North/South. They want to go to the net and are always trying to get into the inside on puck battles and open ice plays. They work for their space. Marner doesn't. His style is about space and openness and the playoffs you have less of it. So he becomes REALLY perimeter orientated.

You can question Matthews and Willy in terms of mental makeup and if they can win in the playoffs. But stylistically, I would much rather try it with them than Marner. Plus Matthews and Willy are clearly tougher and more physical than Mitch.

I can't think of a single player who plays like Mitch who won. Comparing him to Kane are off-base. Willy is much closer to Kane stylistically than Marner is.

I can't think of a player who plays like Mitch who won anything.
Marner plays very similar to Mat Barzal. Difference is Marner gets more pts because he plays on a high powered team, while Barzal's best linemates over the years are Horvat, Lee or whichever random third guy is put on.

Both players are fast puckhandlers, pass first players, and avoid front of the net. They are perimeter players who will often struggle in the playoffs as their perimeter play and fancy drop passes looking for highlight reel pass and plays goals dries up in the playoffs.

They both have good shots. But when open, instead of zipping a wrist shot on net, they look to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad