Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
All Samsonov had to literally do was swat the puck away into the corner or come out and smother it with his glove. Like we're all just going to ignore the part where the goalie just sat there and watched the puck drift into a danger space a foot way.
That, Marner needs to get in a lane, similar with Mo. They can't stop it from coming, but they can slow it down.

Reactions: ToneDog

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
They both go, trade Marner and wait JT out.

You take the $22M in cap space and start fresh. We're all sick of this 4 forwards making all the money nonsense, end it now.
$11 Million?! He will want more plus a NMC with a much cheaper Easton Cowan coming in. Marner will leave even if we have to hire keenan or Torts to make him cry.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They will just bury him on 3rd line and pk making his value go down. other Gms know Marner is not a playoff guy just a reg season boost. he must ask nicely for the trade or he will never get $12 Million. Bring in Keenan or Torts and run them off.
Please do not let my eyes see 16 and 44 on PP1 ever again.

$11 Million?! He will want more plus a NMC with a much cheaper Easton Cowan coming in. Marner will leave even if we have to hire keenan or Torts to make him cry.
It will be Berube IMO.

png57

Oct 5, 2022
Do you know what I think will really make him cry? Tre trying to talk him into waiving his no-movement-clause.

But at the end of the day, this is business. Anything that can help make this team win, I'm all for it.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Do you know what I think will really make him cry? Tre trying to talk him into waiving his no-movement-clause.

But at the end of the day, this is business. Anything that can help make this team win, I'm all for it.
He must leave or he will be buried. He wanted hardball, you got it. He isnt worth what he is paid now.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Time for Tre to show us he can do the job. The challenge is to get Marner to waive his NMC, and then get something back for him. If he can engineer a sign and trade so that Marner goes somewhere he's willing to commit to for 8 years and that team wants him badly enough that they'll give us something of decent value in return, I will worship at his feet. Marner probably won't want to waive but that's where you need to put pressure on him to do just that, that's where Tre needs to earn his money. And if he pressures him and Marner refuses to waive, then let the cupcake walk after next season. And if instead, he gives Marner an 8x12+ contract that dooms the team to another decade of irrelevance, he can rot in hell.

Balls in your court monsieur Treliving, show us what you've got.
I don't disagree, but Brad Treliving can't do a thing about the future of Marner without Shanny and the board's blessing, neither could Dubas tbf. Dealings with the core are above the GM's pay grade. We just have to hope the higher ups see the same thing and decide it's time to move on from Mitch. Regardless, there's no possible way anyone at the club can be dumb enough to believe extending him for 8x 12m+ is a good idea. I think he'll waive, the tension has reached new extremes here.

There are a ton of trading partners that make sense, whether or not Marner will agree to some of these destinations is a different story, but there's a landing spot somewhere. I'm not fussed about the return, at this point 11m in cap freedom is more valuable than the player.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't disagree, but Brad Treliving can't do a thing about the future of Marner without Shanny and the board's blessing, neither could Dubas tbf. Dealings with the core are above the GM's pay grade. We just have to hope the higher ups see the same thing and decide it's time to move on from Mitch. Regardless, there's no possible way anyone at the club can be dumb enough to believe extending him for 8x 12m+ is a good idea. I think he'll waive, the tension has reached new extremes here.

There are a ton of trading partners that make sense, whether or not Marner will agree to some of these destinations is a different story, but there's a landing spot somewhere. I'm not fussed about the return, at this point 11m in cap freedom is more valuable than the player.
I don't know who decides what, not sure anyone else does either. But the GM should be free to do the job he's hired to do, or what's the point?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I don't know who decides what, not sure anyone else does either. But the GM should be free to do the job he's hired to do, or what's the point?
Up until this point I believe there's been a directive from Shannahan to basically not touch the core, but do as you will with the rest of the roster.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
If we're getting 75 cents on the dollar we're just going to deliberately make ourselves a worse team. It worked on the Phil Kessel trade because we were rebuilding.
11 million dollars in cap savings is a win in itself, get this loser off this team

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Toronto is a strange beast. The organization actually works to handcuff itself at every turn. Long term commitments, NMCs for all, unwillingness to make bold moves in the way of firings. They will make bold moves like declaring NuHockey soft hockey is a thing and can win.

They are a basketcase organization. Just get a hard nosed GM that can fire whoever they want. Stop overpaying coaches and staff. Results or youre out. No more pampering. Skeleton staff like an organization like Nashville etc.

There are so many voices in the Leafs office its amazing they make any decisions at all..

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
The problem is Sid is going to decline too. How many good years does he have left? Sid next year might be Tavares this year.

Tru but he's at least on 8

He made 2 nice plays that ended up on the wrong stick.

That's 2 more nice plays than pasta and Marchand had combined. Still confuse how pasta got that breakaway

He got that breakaway because Mitch didn't skate with him in the neutral zone

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
If we're getting 75 cents on the dollar we're just going to deliberately make ourselves a worse team. It worked on the Phil Kessel trade because we were rebuilding.
75 cents on the dollar is better than no cents on the dollar unless you bet that the next playoff will be MM's coming out party. If the same MM is in the next playoff, how can the leafs give him 12~13M?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
No sleep lost if I don't see any of the above around here again. They were pretty awful
Rielly is the only offensive defenseman on the team. If he's gone, you may see him replaced with someone like Klingberg. He's not that easily replaced. Edmonton is paying more for Nurse, who is not as good as Rielly.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Guys, right after the loss I was very critical of Mitch. I’ve had some sleep and had a moment of reflection. My emotions have subsided and with a new perspective I can now make a more clear rational conclusion in what my desires are for marner and this team moving forward. Instead of wanting marner gone by next season’s opening game, I want him gone by tonite. You see it’s always good to wait for better clarity :)

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
We should have moved him when he was an RFA and demanding Matty money. Kessel was also an RFA when the honorable Burke chose to get fleeced rather than offer sheeting Kessel.

All Toronto can do at this point is sign him to “reasonable” deal. If MLSe and Mitch cannot come to agreement, ask Mitch and his agent to find a willing trade partner for a sign and trade.

Reactions: ToneDog

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
We should have moved him when he was an RFA and demanding Matty money. Kessel was also an RFA when the honorable Burke chose to get fleeced rather than offer sheeting Kessel.
That contract is one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen. Marner for $11 million. Show me a comp for that contract that is even in the same galaxy. His agent had to be laughing his butt off at how dumb the Leafs were. To this day Kucherov is not making that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad