Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I feel kinda sad with Marner because on the one hand I like him and I want to see a hometown guy help bring the Leafs success in the postseason, but on the otherhand sometimes things need to change and him nearing the end of his current contract its the best time to move him than give him another big contract. I wonder if Marner will accept the idea of getting traded though and if he does then maybe retain 50% on him if you can get a really good package for him.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He needs to start getting it though his head that it's better for both parties if he just waives his NMC, this doesn't have to be complicated. Sorry Mitch but you're missing out on this Toronto overpayment.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
I don't know how viable trading him is, but even letting him walk would be huge. $22m in cap space coming off the books after 24/25 + the cap going up would allow for a massive retool next summer.
Mcdavid?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I don't know how viable trading him is, but even letting him walk would be huge. $22m in cap space coming off the books after 24/25 + the cap going up would allow for a massive retool next summer.
They'd have to retain salary to trade him. 100% cap dump. That would be the only asset they'd get. Yes on paper he'd be trade for some prospects picks etc but nothing that can help now.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
I dont think Marner will waive his NMC. Say he does, do we actually think another team will pick up his cap hit, and given up assets as well, knowing he's not a playoff performer, if the trade does happen, certainly the Leafs will need to eat some of the cap. Leafs are in a terrible predicament, Marner holds the cards for 1 more year. The only out would be LTIR, or get what you can for him and be thankful without retaining any salary, if not then let him walk.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
As an outsider fan: I think the Leafs organization is to blame not Marner. This team is built wrong and has been built wrong for years. You’re wasting your window trying the same thing over and over again while hoping for a different outcome. This organization needs to go all in, do what it takes to free up $$$ (trade Tavares & Marner) and utilize that $ to improve your depth on forwards and on D, while getting heavier. You can do a lot with that money.
I hope most of the fans didn’t drink the Toronto media Kool-aid that somehow Bertuzzi, Domi and Reaves makes them deeper and tougher. The first 2 are quality pieces that add sandpapers which is always welcome but you guys don’t have true depth with size.
Even if you scored in OT, Florida woulda bounced the Leafs out in 5.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Leaf fans are tough on Marner. That goal wasn’t on him.
That being said, despite what looks like a decent career playoff stat line, I can’t think of a single active player who’s impact on the outcome on games drops off as considerably as him when comparing season vs playoffs.
Modern day Vanek?

I hope he rebounds next year. He has the talent to do it, just needs the will.

He's been like this in the playoffs every year for like what? 7 years? He's not a kid anymore and he is what he is...I guess his last two years in the playoffs were a bit better since he didn't flip the puck over the glass for delay of game penalties...Leafs need to move on from him...teams win the Cup all the time without a Mitch Marner on their roster. I'm glad Leafs signed the right player in Nylander.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Marner's gotta go. He contributed nothing of high quality value in that Bruins series and seems to be regressing in mental and physical maturity.

He's never shown up in a single series ever except an extremely brief select few moments. I don't give a single care about what numbers he does in the regular season, he is 100% not a playoff player at all.

I am 10000000% certain he is incapable of growing a playoff beard.

I've wanted him gone for years you can read any post I've ever made about him there's so much more we can get when we dump that anchor.

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HIS PRIME AND THIS IS WHAT HE BRINGS???????

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
They'd have to retain salary to trade him. 100% cap dump. That would be the only asset they'd get. Yes on paper he'd be trade for some prospects picks etc but nothing that can help now.
There's no reason you would have to retain salary. You could get the usual package players of his stature get. And then since we're in our contention window we could turn right around and use some of that package to get pieces that balance the team better (top pairing D, forward with some gumption).

I agree that trading directly for those kinds of things is not something that would be easy to do, but there's no reason you can't do it in two steps.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
MM is a good player. can the leafs trade him to LA for PLD+ whatever Tre can get? Then buy out PLD (only ~2M cap hit or so)

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I dont think Marner will waive his NMC. Say he does, do we actually think another team will pick up his cap hit, and given up assets as well, knowing he's not a playoff performer, if the trade does happen, certainly the Leafs will need to eat some of the cap. Leafs are in a terrible predicament, Marner holds the cards for 1 more year. The only out would be LTIR, or get what you can for him and be thankful without retaining any salary, if not then let him walk.
yeah because he can make a team a playoff team... a Utah, Buffalo, San Jose etc...

Great reg season player, terrible playoff player

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sluggo is a legend. Back at chat.mapleleafs.com, during the 05-06 season when the Leafs'veteran roster was putting together the first of many non playoff seasons, he did more to get the fanbase used to the necessity of a real rebuild than anyone else.

I was an early convert of his. So was spinner. The leader of the opposing faction (everything is fine, JFJ is doing great, it's better to try to make the playoffs and fail, than it is to tank and have a high pick, teams that tank and draft their own superstars don't win cups, low picks are just as likely to be superstars, pogge will be just as good as Rask...) was a piece of work named Carmissimo. Koho was his number one henchman.
I still remember my Monopoly board. :)

Tough loss man. But not a total loss. For the first time it seems like they learned how to play a tougher style. Nylander with another strong series and Knies looks like a real winner.

Cheers

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Tough loss man. But not a total loss. For the first time it seems like they learned how to play a tougher style. Nylander with another strong series and Knies looks like a real winner.

Cheers
I still have your monopoly board!

I was in Toronto last April and I hung out with Spinner at a sports bar tonight the leafs won in overtime in game three. I dug that file up from my home computer and showed him and we were absolutely pissing our pants laughing.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Cheers
Too little too late. I don't care what anybody thinks the core has learned. They're losers. It has to change now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I still have your monopoly board!

I was in Toronto last April and I hung out with Spinner out of sports bar tonight the leafs won in overtime in game three. I dug that file up from my home computer and showed him and we were absolutely pissing our pants laughing.
Good times. The Montreal board sucked so a bunch of us had to go there before we discovered this place.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's never shown up in a single series ever except an extremely brief select few moments. I don't give a single care about what numbers he does in the regular season, he is 100% not a playoff player at all.

I am 10000000% certain he is incapable of growing a playoff beard.

I've wanted him gone for years you can read any post I've ever made about him there's so much more we can get when we dump that anchor.

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HIS PRIME AND THIS IS WHAT HE BRINGS???????

Marner is incapable of maturing as a player in the playoffs. He’s exactly the same thing he was on his ELC. He didn’t get any bigger, stronger, didn’t learn any insights. Didn’t change his game. Didn’t do jack shit.

And yeah, the much vaunted defensive game Marner is supposed to bring. Pasta blows right by him and he’s looking around cluelessly.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
There's no reason you would have to retain salary. You could get the usual package players of his stature get. And then since we're in our contention window we could turn right around and use some of that package to get pieces that balance the team better (top pairing D, forward with some gumption).

I agree that trading directly for those kinds of things is not something that would be easy to do, but there's no reason you can't do it in two steps.
No one wants to pay 11 million dollars for 1 year of a playoff no show. The other team has all the leverage since its Toronto desperate to trade him.

They would have to 100% retain salary. And no you're not getting pieces for "contention window" the Mitch marner experiment has set the team back at least 3 years.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As an outsider fan: I think the Leafs organization is to blame not Marner. This team is built wrong and has been built wrong for years. You’re wasting your window trying the same thing over and over again while hoping for a different outcome. This organization needs to go all in, do what it takes to free up $$$ (trade Tavares & Marner) and utilize that $ to improve your depth on forwards and on D, while getting heavier. You can do a lot with that money.
I hope most of the fans didn’t drink the Toronto media Kool-aid that somehow Bertuzzi, Domi and Reaves makes them deeper and tougher. The first 2 are quality pieces that add sandpapers which is always welcome but you guys don’t have true depth with size.
Even if you scored in OT, Florida woulda bounced the Leafs out in 5.
The trouble with the Leafs is that they’ve been the victims of their own hype. They drafted 3 excellent forwards to start but were very light on D and additional goalies of quality in the drafts. Then they signed another forward and thought each guy could/would single-handedly outscore the problems. Not taking into account if they were all built for the playoffs.

Knies, Domi is the way you play in the playoffs. I think it took them 7 years + 5 games to figure it out when the core guys above started getting hurt. They had to change in game 5 to preserve life instead of going out the usual way. It was just too little too late.

I don’t know all the changes but a definite retool needs to happen to become a harder playoff team instead of mostly regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad