Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I like Marner a lot, but if he's the easiest way to get $10-11M in cap space to use in other areas then we have to do that.

And that means either a trade if it can happen or just letting him go via UFA.

It's as simple as that.

The balance has to change on this team and we're locked into other players that I didn't necessarily want locked in to the degree we are.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
they need to explore moving marner or, if that is simply not possible, then let him walk when his contract expires

he's more kyle wellwood than patrick kane

No, him being here for a single game longer is simply unacceptable, sorry. His attitude and general approach to the game is a radioactive cancer for the rest of the team, he simply cannot be allowed to remain around anyone who’s still got a chance of redemption any longer. Doesn’t matter how much leverage needs to be applied or loss in trade value we need to eat, he needs to be dealt with this summer.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It's over with this guy. He might turn into a playoff monster elsewhere but it's just not gonna happen here. This was his worst series to date, 3 points in 7 games is a new career low.

Also, some defensive awareness.

I feel bad for those who were saying he shut down Pastrnak. He repays those fans with this lack of awareness on the ice.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
It’s time to move on. Please go to another team. And no doubt he will thrive there. But in Toronto he is far from a $10 million dollar player.

Reactions: saffronleaf

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mitch will be traded or told to sit da season by new manager .. new manager needs to hire a new coach .. i like mitch but way too much cap for his abilities .. da issue is we wont get as much for him as we all think as league knows mitchs issues

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
The lack of offense was largely excused by many due to the great job he & his line had been doing on Pastrnak throughout the series.

Pastrnak blows right by him for the series winner.

I love Mitch. I think his best years are still to come.

I love this team more. Think I'm ready for something different
Justifiably excused because the team was succeeding. Never for a moment excused the needs whatever result came by virtue of the fact we really didn't have a choice but to look for the excuse because the playoff promises of Marner...never came.

What an unbelievable image to have seared in one's mind: Coasting while Pastrnak completes the set play, and watching Marner look on while passing the buck in real time.

Amen to the bolded. At least these:

Fire Keefe.
Hire Quenneville
Take the C off of Tavares, give it to Matthews and an A to Nylander and Knies.
Re-sign Domi, Edmundson and Boosh (Bert if he comes in lower.)

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Vintage game seven from Marner unfortunately. He looked the same against CLB (that was a game five but same thing basically in that round) and MTL.

How many times did I post in here that he needs to produce? This is what happens when you're in a low-scoring series and your first line winger won't get on the board. I think they should be able to talk him into being traded out of there after things went down the way they did. Like... what's keeping him here at this point? It's not like he's some folk hero and his own teammates quarreled with him on the bench.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It’s time to move on. Please go to another team. And no doubt he will thrive there. But in Toronto he is far from a $10 million dollar player.
Not sure if any team with a real coach or a real captain is gonna let a player with as little interest in physical hockey as him, near their team...at the money he expects. I think he'd get eaten alive. Only chance he becomes an effective playoff performer is if he goes near the net with regularity and players generally don't change their ways, especially at 27.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Leaf fans are tough on Marner. That goal wasn’t on him.
That being said, despite what looks like a decent career playoff stat line, I can’t think of a single active player who’s impact on the outcome on games drops off as considerably as him when comparing season vs playoffs.
Modern day Vanek?

I hope he rebounds next year. He has the talent to do it, just needs the will.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Sometimes it’s hard to fathom how the GTA produced this guy. He’s just such a weird little package of skills with none of the attributes this hockey culture values.

He was raised by someone who sees him as an investment that needs to generate profit, glory doesn’t pay the bills. If the next CBA allows bonuses based on playoff stats then watch out.

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
I don't know how viable trading him is, but even letting him walk would be huge. $22m in cap space coming off the books after 24/25 + the cap going up would allow for a massive retool next summer.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'm going to give Marner a little bit of credit here -- his wizardry with the puck was on display, even tonight. He could have assisted on probably a few goals.

The challenge is -- the Leafs -- 100% need to change the way their built. This culture of "34/88/16 do the scoring here" needs to change... the only way you're going to change that is by becoming less top-heavy.

That leaves you with the option of trading Nylander, who can be a gamebreaker, and has been reasonably good in the playoffs in his career, or Marner...and they just signed Nylander.

Reactions: ORRFForever

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
If he wasn't from Toronto, the Toronto media would have turned on him long ago like Nylander and Matthews. They see him way higher than he actually is,

He's making 10.9m and is only worth 9m. He'll probably get 12m on his next deal.

He's a mental midget catered to by people in Toronto because he's from there.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Leaf fans are tough on Marner. That goal wasn’t on him.
That being said, despite what looks like a decent career playoff stat line, I can’t think of a single active player who’s impact on the outcome on games drops off as considerably as him when comparing season vs playoffs.
Modern day Vanek?

I hope he rebounds next year. He has the talent to do it, just needs the will.
Hard to rebound when you've never had anything to rebound from

Keep clinging to that hope tho lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad