Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I honestly gave him a shot and posts to have his best game. I supported his turnaround and he did essentially nothing.

That was it. 12m? No Fing way. Find a couple 6m proven playoff players like ROR instead. Some defenders or a tender..we just need JT and Mitch cap space back and we are good.

WN is clutchlander and nobody is complaining about his 11.5 after scoring all our goals in g6 and g7.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They have to get a #1D for him.
Ask for a #1D, settle for a bucket of chicken.
It's over with this guy. He might turn into a playoff monster elsewhere but it's just not gonna happen here. This was his worst series to date, 3 points in 7 games is a new career low.

Also, some defensive awareness.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Sometimes it’s hard to fathom how the GTA produced this guy. He’s just such a weird little package of skills with none of the attributes this hockey culture values.
This is IMO an absolutely perfect summary of what Marner is. I can only wonder how many times we're gonna see one of his lovers post "super crazy elite" here next season. :facepalm:

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I am disgusted by yet another predictable poor playoff performance.

Oh but I must not get it. You need to have a high enough IQ to understand how Marner was actually our best player that series.

Yes he can play some defense pretty well. So can Connor DeWar. Why not just use the money on a defenseman then?

I have no appetite for this guy and trading him is addition by subtraction. We don't need much of a return

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I honestly gave him a shot and posts to have his best game. I supported his turnaround and he did essentially nothing.

That was it. 12m? No Fing way. Find a couple 6m proven playoff players like ROR instead. Some defenders or a tender..we just need JT and Mitch cap space back and we are good.

WN is clutchlander and nobody is complaining about his 11.5 after scoring all our goals in g6 and g7.

You and I never used to agree on someone...Gardiner maybe...but I've been agreeing with you a lot lately and now completely with your assessment of the big 4. 👏 👏 👏

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
He's on his own this off season. Not gonna sit here defending him.

Another game 7 where he doesn't elevate his intensity.

I can live with failed execution but not this.

I'm still not trading him unless its a fleece but for the first time ever I don't care if he gets rag dolled here. I hope you guys rip him a new one.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I suspect he'll be back next year.
Same player.
Same results.
A new coach might be the best thing to know who plays where and with whom.
He is a very good setup man.
I'm not sure Matthews needs him as much as he needs Matthews.
We need a Florida impact trade like our version of Huberdeau. Unfortunately, I don’t see if that’s available but Marner would be the guy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ask for a #1D, settle for a bucket of chicken.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

This is IMO an absolutely perfect summary of what Marner is. I can only wonder how many times we're gonna see one of his lovers post "super crazy elite" here next season. :facepalm:
Good luck with that.
Maybe a bucket of chicken and a prospect with the potential to be a top pair D.

The sad thing is Marner is often compared to Huberdeau and Gaudreau because of playoff inefficiencies but at least those guys have had 110+ pts in the regular season. Mitchy boy didn't even have that.
Gaudreau is a perfect comparison.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
We need a Florida impact trade like our version of Huberdeau. Unfortunately, I don’t see if that’s available but Marner would be the guy.

And are we just gonna brainwash the opposing GM to give us a much better player for Marner?

I guess the Leafs best hope is that another superstar demands a trade and will only re-sign in Toronto just like the Tkachuk situation.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
What an absolute disgrace to be from Toronto and put up that performance in the series. No heart no passion just $$$$$.

Probably my least favourite leaf of all time.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
And are we just gonna brainwash the opposing GM to give us a much better player for Marner?

I guess the Leafs best hope is that another superstar demands a trade and will only re-sign in Toronto just like the Tkachuk situation.
give me a week and I'll find a way to text Lou from Dobsons phone saying I'm only signing with Toronto.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: arso40

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I guess if Pettersson keeps sucking in the playoffs Vancouver may trade him for Marner. I'm not sure if he's any better though. He was more invisible than Marner these playoffs.

You're not going to get a player of comparable value back for Marner. The main reason to trade him is to utilize his cap space.. or pray that Rantanen doesn't re-sign in Colorado for cheap so we can throw money at him instead of Marner.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
It’s time for him to move on and in my opinion he was the jackass coming off the bench with fresh legs and should have tracked down Pasta. I’m the playoffs he just makes idiotic moves. Getting the puck behind the net gifted by the goalie and trying to come around the other side. I’m not sure you give that play to a hundred players and one does that. There all braking and trying to stuff it short side.

Fantastic player with a glass brain, it’s about him, his childish comments to the media. It’s time and I think he realizes that as well. Push for a list of teams and make the move. He should bring back four quality pieces, he’s still a 100 point guy. Maybe on another team in another city he may have playoff success, not in Toronto.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021

Well there's one GM we might not need to brainwash...

Sid for Mitch?

Reactions: saffronleaf

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
I guess if Pettersson keeps sucking in the playoffs Vancouver may trade him for Marner. I'm not sure if he's any better though. He was more invisible than Marner these playoffs.

You're not going to get a player of comparable value back for Marner. The main reason to trade him is to utilize his cap space.. or pray that Rantanen doesn't re-sign in Colorado for cheap so we can throw money at him instead of Marner.
Wow, they would never let Petey go for Marner.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'm conflicted

I think the kid is good and we're going to regret running him out of town, but I'm not stupid
This fan base is going to be carrying pitchforks and demand his head

Things will become toxic if he remains

I feel the same, I do agree we will regret it, but the reality is, Marner will never become the player we want him to become here in Toronto.

It’ll be the same as Kessel, same as Kadri, same as Kaberle. He just isn’t a fit here for playoff hockey. Best for team and player to move on from each other

Reactions: Kiwi and arso40

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Wow, they would never let Petey go for Marner.

He's been worse than Marner this playoffs. If Marner had the kind of playoffs Pettersson's had there might be riots on the street. He's missing legit open nets, shooting wide on everything and making passes to no one when he has a good shooting chance.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Depends what’s available. That’s why I said don’t see it available.
If you at least put the name out there, you can see. However all the no trades make that difficult as well. But we shouldn’t be running it back without looking into the possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad