Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Get this little bitch out of Toronto

Some are just very emotional right now.

I'd say in closing, imagine if it was Nylander that just got destroyed by Pastrnak?

marner won't be traded, but I am very interested in the contract negotiation.
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. It didn't happen so no point talking about useless hypotheticals. Marner sucks

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
The whole situation is sad. The high optimism of having drafted three elite forward talents only to waste them like this is a travesty.
Well we gave these 3 the keys to the mansion and were expecting them to achieve great things. While they have done quite well in the regular season they sure have come up very short in the playoffs with the exception of Nylander to a degree when he's come up big at least a few times.

In Edmonton it was often the team surrounding McDavid and Drai that were letting the Oilers down. In Toronto it was often our best players letting the Leafs down.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Kerfoot scored a big OT goal to complete a massive comeback en route to our only series win. Mitch Marner disappears all the time in the playoffs and is a focal point of a dismal powerplay. I've no love for Kerfoot but he was the only one besides Willy to show up offensively against Montreal while M&M disappeared.
As a Habs fan I can confirm we were not so much worried about Marner at all. It’s Nylander that was #1 on the board to shutdown, while keeping an eye on Matthews. He wasn’t as dangerous as Nylander but you don’t wanna get an elite shooter getting started. That’s a slippery slope. That’s the trick with Matthews it seems. Just don’t get him started. With his elite talent he has it “easy” in the season so get him out of his comfort zone and hope that delays him enough to win the series.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Some are just very emotional right now.

I'd say in closing, imagine if it was Nylander that just got destroyed by Pastrnak?

marner won't be traded, but I am very interested in the contract negotiation.

Nylander also scored the last 3 goals of the season for us. And he didn’t make a mistake that cost us. So that’s a pretty big difference.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Oh, he's just overpaid, not a bad player.

He takes up a top 6 roster spot in the playoffs and runs the powerplay...his kind of playoff performance wouldn't even be acceptable for a $7 million player.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Pasta owning up.

Marner would have thrown a hissy fit and demanded an apology. Has marner ever taken any f***ing responsibility for his shit play while taking a large share of the salary cap pie?

And marner would apparently want 12 to 12.5 AAV as a starting point LMAO

GET MARNER THE f*** AWAY FROM TML

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Well we gave these 3 the keys to the mansion and were expecting them to achieve great things. While they have done quite well in the regular season they sure have come up very short in the playoffs with the exception of Nylander to a degree when he's come up big at least a few times.

In Edmonton it was often the team surrounding McDavid and Drai that were letting the Oilers down. In Toronto it was often our best players letting the Leafs down.

Those negotiations really hampered us and f***ed the culture going forward. All the money in the world before they even accomplished anything. Back when even just making the playoffs was a miracle for this franchise.

Tavares really should've been the ceiling. No reason for Matthews to go over that number for not even 8 years, no reason for Mitch to even sniff $10+ million, and no reason to f*** around with Nylander only to give in at the midnight hour, setting the stage for the others' agents to rake Dubas over the coals.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I love the guy, wanted him in 2015 was absolutely elated when we drafted him, and I've watched him become a star in the league. However I think it's time for this team to part with him, unless we can move Tavares, and that is unlikely for a multitude of reasons. We can't run back the team with the same pay structure again, Marner is the odd man out. Especially when you add in the guy is going to ask for a raise on his next deal.

10.9 million could get you 2 top 4 defencemen. Or a 2c and one.

Reactions: arso40

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
They're insane if they sign Marner to another huge contract. And I wouldn't be surprised at all by it. Because that's what I've come to expect from this team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He takes up a top 6 roster spot in the playoffs and runs the powerplay...his kind of playoff performance wouldn't even be acceptable for a $7 million player.

Max Domi outscored Mich Marner in the Bruins series, makes $8 million less than him, and his playoffs can be characterized as "so so."

Matthew Knies is a 21 year old rookie, was infinitely more impactful than Marner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They're insane if they sign Marner to another huge contract. And I wouldn't be surprised at all by it. Because that's what I've come to expect from this team.

I wouldn't be surprised. It's hard to move off a 100 point regular season team and kind of a nice cruise control product for the most part. So there are a lot of reasons why Marner could be extended. But the Leafs deal with the devil is you get a season ending night in early May like this every year and a terrible team culture centered around a very immature player that a lot of the fanbase does not like.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
can't we buy him and JT out after July 1st.

both are only owed 700K.

I thought the cap hits would only be 516K total
Year 1 258 K
year 2 258K

but Cap friendly gives the 10 Mil as cap for year 1
They are only owed that little bit of cash, but the cap hit is still there. Even if you trade them, someone takes the cap hit of $11M each - whether we retain part and they take part or they take it all.

Reactions: arso40

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is gonna be a tough job for new president to unload Mitch JT and Rielly but that has to be da program to rebuild this roster for playoff hockey .. we can't afford those 3 guys on da new team .. they just don't add any value in playoffs given their cAP hits .. when your 1W and 1D combine to lose you a series due to laziness/bad hockey IQ then you have to cut bait .. JT you could probably keep at 2-3M/year on da wing

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
I'll take him in Detroit. Who do you want? You don't usually like to trade in division but if he sucks so bad it would be worth it??

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander also scored the last 3 goals of the season for us. And he didn’t make a mistake that cost us. So that’s a pretty big difference.
Last two games:

Willy: took 7 hits, gave 4 hits, blocked 5 shots, was +1, and led the team in shots (10) and goals (3).
Mitch: took 5 hits, gave none, blocked none, was -1 (the biggest -1) and had 2 shots.

If Willy isn't worth $11.5, what is Mitch worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad