Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm open to trading him but you must get equal value.

Everyone talks about the Tkachuk trade and how it changed the Panthers... well you can be Calgary in that trade too and get absolutely fleeced.

With Marner, there are a few options:

1.) Trade him for equal value
2.) Let him walk and throw that money on the stronger players in the same UFA cycle (Rantanen, Draisaitl)
3.) Re-sign him at a fair contract. Marner isn't a bad player and he is important to the team but not at the price he wants. If he's willing to sign for a decent price and there's no fair value trade or UFA - you're better off keeping him.

You don't want to be emotional and get fleeced on a trade. The Leafs trade of Phil Kessel for pennies on the dollar won Pittsburgh 2 Cups. The Leafs were rebuilding so it didn't matter. We won't be rebuilding here and if trading him makes us a worse team, then you keep him. You don't get players like him, even with all his faults, often.
Who's gonna give you equal value after watching this series? And who's gonna pay him what he asks for after watching this series? As Bunkis said, be happy to get 75 cents on the dollar.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Who's gonna give you equal value after watching this series? And who's gonna pay him what he asks for after watching this series? As Bunkis said, be happy to get 75 cents on the dollar.

If we're getting 75 cents on the dollar we're just going to deliberately make ourselves a worse team. It worked on the Phil Kessel trade because we were rebuilding.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
This cant be series lmao. 2 more nice plays than the guy that lead the series in points and the one that scored the GWG?
I'm not saying marner played to expectations but what I said is also truthful.

Pasta and Marchand were invisible for much the game and then 1 play all it took for pasta to be a hero. What if one of those 2 plays went in for us?

No matter how bad our D beat down pasta and Marchand to make them total crap over the last 3 games Boston will never consider getting rid of their top skill guys.

Why do we need to get rid of marner if all we need is to upgrade Lil and get a goalie ? There's no top 4 D available that is worth marner 1 for 1 or even package deal.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If we're getting 75 cents on the dollar we're just going to deliberately make ourselves a worse team. It worked on the Phil Kessel trade because we were rebuilding.
75 cents on the dollar is better than letting him walk for nothing because there is no way in hell he deserves what he will ask for.

Bunkis suggested Saros + a contact + a player. Are you really getting worse without Mitch? What have we won with him in 8 playoffs? The core is rotten, it needs to be changed and Mitch is the odd man out. Moving Tavares would be a bonus.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Girl, bye.

I don't care if we get a bag of pucks for him. Getting him off the team is addition by subtraction. A 4m player brings more in the post season, and who gives a shit if you lose a trade on paper when it makes your team better. They can be those shitty pucks that are missing big chunks and spent six years in the rafters. As long as some guys with balls at least looked at those pucks once, that's an adequate return for Marner. If we can get a useful roster player and a 1st round pick then we take it and run.

It's wild that Marner is a dud. It's wild that he'll probably figure out how to contribute some day. But it's not going to happen here. It's time to cut bait and sob about it later.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Pasta and Marchand were invisible for much the game and then 1 play all it took for pasta to be a hero. What if one of those 2 plays went in for us?

No matter how bad our D beat down pasta and Marchand to make them total crap over the last 3 games Boston will never consider getting rid of their top skill guys.

Why do we need to get rid of marner if all we need is to upgrade Lil and get a goalie ? There's no top 4 D available that is worth marner 1 for 1 or even package deal.
Yeah cause they actually produce and win series sometimes.

Mitch cant even do that. Forever fades away as the series goes on longer. Crazy some people still wanna beat this dead horse.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

They only have 2 and one is 36. Seriously would you turn down Pasta for Marner? Do you think the Bruins would?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
75 cents on the dollar is better than letting him walk for nothing because there is no way in hell he deserves what he will ask for.

Bunkis suggested Saros + a contact + a player. Are you really getting worse without Mitch? What have we won with him in 8 playoffs? The core is rotten, it needs to be changed and Mitch is the odd man out. Moving Tavares would be a bonus.

There's no way I'm trading for Saros, he's too small. I'm not convinced he wouldn't get lit up in the East unless we change to a defense first team like Nashville. He had a .900 save percentage this playoffs with Nashville putting up a shot blocking clinic.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Girl, bye.

I don't care if we get a bag of pucks for him. Getting him off the team is addition by subtraction. A 4m player brings more in the post season, and who gives a shit if you lose a trade on paper when it makes your team better. They can be those shitty pucks that are missing big chunks and spent six years in the rafters. As long as some guys with balls at least looked at those pucks once, that's an adequate return for Marner. If we can get a useful roster player and a 1st round pick then we take it and run.

It's wild that Marner is a dud. It's wild that he'll probably figure out how to contribute some day. But it's not going to happen here. It's time to cut bait and sob about it later.
You can get at least 3 Domi's or 2 Bertuzzi's for Marner money. We win that series with another Bert and Domi in place of Marner.

Reactions: arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If Mitch or Willie took the hit Pasta took from Edmundson last night they would have disappeared for a month. Pasta got up, battled and won the game. That folks is a player.

Oh give me a f***ing break. Didn’t Marner take a full slap shot to the face this season and didn’t even miss a shift. Came right back out with a full bubble. Nylander has taken hits and played fine

Pasta was completely weak sauce this entire series. The leafs d neutralized him, he didn’t adjust well to the physicality.

He scored a nice OT winner and series clincher but let’s not try and act like he’s some war hero. He got through on a non physical play and burried. If he drove through three guys and bulldozed his way to a goal I’d agree.

Reactions: arso40 and WillNy29

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
They only have 2 and one is 36. Seriously would you turn down Pasta for Marner? Do you think the Bruins would?
I'm looking at what cost us the series and it wasn't marner is all I'm saying. Leafs were the clear cut better team over the last 3 games and pasta and Marchand were totally useless for most of it.

All I'm saying is trading marner as the first thing is just doing something dramatic for the sake of being dramatic. Like trading for Karlsson and acting like you did something great because it was a headline smasher.

This team only lack a true top 4 puck mover and a goalie. It doesn't require blockbuster moves. Tre built a very hard team to play against

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Fitting end there for the "elite" shutdown winger. Pastrnak OT winner as he flies by Marner.

Joke of a player and should be asked to waive. Got clowned all series long and adds another brutal chapter of mediocrity to his playoff career. I have no idea how anyone can defend him at this point.

Rielly was way high on that dump in.. I guess for Rielly reasons? ya Marner should have harassed Pasta for sure on the way in but the winger is the defensemans man, and retrieving dump ins is Riellys job there too. Not sure why he was roaming around up high.

Marner had a way sub par playoff offensively again for sure, and he should get a change of scenery since he’s the latest Leaf fan scapegoat, but there is plenty of blame to go around on that play. Check out controller disconnected Nylander lol

Following Leaf scapegoat tradition. Marner will look good when he comes back and daggers us. The problem is getting some assets for him when he holds the cards.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Fitting end there for the "elite" shutdown winger. Pastrnak OT winner as he flies by Marner.

Joke of a player and should be asked to waive. Got clowned all series long and adds another brutal chapter of mediocrity to his playoff career. I have no idea how anyone can defend him at this point.
What man. The forward being that open is not the wingers responsibility. You guys are even changing how the game is played to get rid of marner.

That was the defence. First Lil made everyone run around like chickens when he gave the puck away and then it transition to Pasta realizing he can sneak in behind everyone a change later (Riellys responsibility to be awake for this).

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Oh give me a f***ing break. Didn’t Marner take a full slap shot to the face this season and didn’t even miss a shift. Came right back out with a full bubble. Nylander has taken hits and played fine

Pasta was completely weak sauce this entire series. The leafs d neutralized him, he didn’t adjust well to the physicality.

He scored a nice OT winner and series clincher but let’s not try and act like he’s some war hero. He got through on a non physical play and burried. If he drove through three guys and bulldozed his way to a goal I’d agree.

MM was puck watching. He was not moving his feet. He lost his man who blew past him and lost this series for us. His play was incredibly soft the whole series and I cant count the times we turned over the puck due to him not fighting for it.

He is a skills darling and a playoff loser. Its clear as clear can be. He had the opportunity to do what Nylander did the past two games and instead he played scared. Indecisive hockey. Where he could advance for a shot, he makes a risky pass.

There is no longer a defense for this player. He is not Gretzky or anything like him. He is a choker and that's sad for us. That little boy should never speak of Dougie after that performance. Embarrassing.

Slow motion the Pasta OT goal.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Pasta does not have a 69 goal scorer helping him. He has 36 year old Marchand. They hardly play together and when they do they are dangerous. That puck to Marner's face woke him up. Played well but that was regular season, these were playoffs. Pasta was targeted by the Leafs D all series and was not afraid to drive to the net. Mitch did his best to avoid contact.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
What man. The forward being that open is not the wingers responsibility. You guys are even changing how the game is played to get rid of marner.

That was the defence. First Lil made everyone run around like chickens when he gave the puck away and then it transition to Pasta realizing he can sneak in behind everyone a change later (Riellys responsibility to be awake for this).
I'm telling you guys.

Every bad thing that happened in the last 3 games can be linked back to Liljegren as the origin point. Run the tape back.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

OMG look at the landscape. He had to freaking cover that. It was Pasta ffs. He was sending lovers glances at Sammy or something. Watch the replay. It was a failure.

Mo should have taken a penalty on that. He screwed up as well being high

Reactions: saffronleaf

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm looking at what cost us the series and it wasn't marner is all I'm saying. Leafs were the clear cut better team over the last 3 games and pasta and Marchand were totally useless for most of it.

All I'm saying is trading marner as the first thing is just doing something dramatic for the sake of being dramatic. Like trading for Karlsson and acting like you did something great because it was a headline smasher.

This team only lack a true top 4 puck mover and a goalie. It doesn't require blockbuster moves. Tre built a very hard team to play against
Problem is Mitch is gonna demand $12+m and you won't be able to find the needed pieces. At this point, most of the fanbase has seen enough of this rerun. The Leafs will not be able to run it back. The guys on fan590 were saying they need more major changes than just Marner. They asked if Rielly should be moved. That thought also crossed my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad