• Keep Marner

Votes: 182 29.3%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Can't trade Tavares without his consent, full NMC.

Marner is tradeable until July 1, then his full NMC kicks in.

Overall, the big 4:
- Tavares has a full NMC through to 24-25. (AAV $11m, signed to 24-25, then UFA.)
- Marner has a full NMC for 23-24 and 24-25. (AAV $10.9m, signed to 24-25, then UFA.)
- Matthews has a full NMC for 23-24. (AAV $11.6m, signed to 23-24, then UFA.)
- Nylander has a M-NTC (10 team no-trade list) for 23-24. (AAV $7.0m, signed to 23-24, then UFA.)

Source: Toronto Maple Leafs Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I noticed some of y'all aren't looking a the crucial NMC details in the "get rid of X" threads that unsurprisingly popped up now... Any trades (I mean, without consent) regarding the big 4 would have to be this off-season.

Yes, I am well aware of their NMC details.

I said this with the assumption he would be asked to waive as he's the worst of the four. Of course, I'm sure he will say no (as expected), but you never know how a player is feeling about their situation.

If he still says no, you then move Marner before his NMC kicks in.

It has to be one of these two for me.

Reactions: Eye Test and Stubu

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Imagine Caps comes in and said, Wilson and Mantha for Marner and Robertson. Bc they want Ovie to break the records quicker. Would you take the deal.

Come on guys, we are all disappointed but i still think JT is the first to go unless AM, MM or Willie want to leave.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I don’t think Mitch can take the heat.

I also notice that he always seems to produce a lot in the early series - then teams adapt and shut him down.

With retention of 1.5: 1st, 2nd (same year), best prospect, some change of scenery money.

Without: 2024 1st and 4th, 2023 2nd, your 3rd-5th best prospect and some meh money.

Use the cap space to get a big fish like a Meier or Bertuzzi, or several smaller pieces like Brown/Killorn/Wood/Mayfield.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I don’t think Mitch can take the heat.

I also notice that he always seems to produce a lot in the early series - then teams adapt and shut him down.

With retention of 1.5: 1st, 2nd (same year), best prospect, some change of scenery money.

Without: 2024 1st and 4th, 2023 2nd, your 3rd-5th best prospect and some meh money.

Use the cap space to get a big fish like a Meier or Bertuzzi, or several smaller pieces like Brown/Killorn/Wood/Mayfield.
Yes.

2 points in final 4 games against Tampa last season.

I won't be surprised if Matthews had enough and demands a new winger like when Babcock tried to make matthews-kapanen a thing

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yeah he needs to go, I think it'll be best for him too. He feels no pressure to perform here, entitled mind set, playing for his hometown team and thinks he runs the show. He needs a reality check. I think he'll strive in a market where he actually feels pressure from the GM/Coaches to perform, not just living out his childhood dream. Also we need guys here who will treat playing for this team as a privilege not a right.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Yes, trade him. Great player, but too easy to contain in the playoffs. Also, of course he will ask for top dollar with his d-bag dad behind the scenes. Avoid the headache.

Trade him for Batherson and Ridly Greig from Ottawa. Both signed long-term (Batherson very long term), and both physical, tough players who handle the forecheck well. Also, take the 7 or 8 million in savings and target a solid dman.

Keep Matthews but definitely bring in a new GM. An intimidating but fair GM. If Matthews starts whining or threatening to leave because his buddy Mitch is traded, let him deal with a GM who will tell him to grow a pair rather than coddle him. Sorry, being best buddies with your players doesn't work. It's like teachers or parents being best buddies with their kids. A failed philosophy that resurfaces every generation by those who can't deal with the harsh realities of human nature.

Reactions: Tobyboy

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He can take a hike. Pressure in this market is too much for him, and he's too important to the team to try and live with that or wait it out. He sets the tone, when he's feeling loose and good, the Leafs play loose. It's not a coincidence that the team dries up and can't score more than 2 goals when he goes missing. That speaks to his endless talent, but it really tells us that we cannot be investing in a team built around him because he just doesn't have what it takes. Our 2nd best player turning into a fourth liner every single year when the games get hard is a millstone around the necks of the entire team.

Doesn't matter if we lose a trade when we keep losing in the f***ing playoffs. He's good enough that even if we lose said trade we can take a step forward if we get some people who will actually deliver when it counts and don't have to lug around that millstone any more.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I'll say it again - Marner's expiry date here should've been after the 2021 Habs series. There was a time here when a few us were campaigning for a deal around Marner for Matthew Tkachuk.

But I'm convinced this organization doesn't want a player of Tkachuk's profile/personality on this team. Feel good vibes only.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I hate his post game press conference, he can'tjust come out and say "I was atrocious, I take responsibility, I am sorry for letting the fans down, I will do all in my power to get better in the offseason."

100% he and the rest of the 3 should be available, not selling him for pennies on the dollar, but if you can get equivalent market value 100% we take it and move on.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Guy Boucher said something and look totally right with marner...

Marner when hes playing with Matthews, hes playing for Matthews and playing to make play to matthews... and thats making him worst as a player

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
- He was very bad in the florida series, definitely the worst of the big 4 and honestly started to slip in game 5 versus Tampa
- He's a RW...so is Willy
- Willy will come in cheaper and has routinely outplayed him the playoffs, also Willy and Matthews have done better together than Marner/Matthews when it comes to win/loss record.
- I'm not prepared spending 22-25m on RWs when they are the easiest position in the NHL to replace
- Its him or Willy to me and Willy is cheaper and fits the team better financially, Marner is the one to trade.

Reactions: 5mokey and Tobyboy

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Well now he can wear his Mickey mouse shirt and head to the cottage and not worry about improving his game
He’s one of the hardest off season workers on the team, that’s pretty common knowledge. Can we stick to the facts?

As an aside, I’d explore trade possibilities with him at this point. Something has to give with this team.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Marner has more value than Willy anyways. 2 years of control. 100 point player, Selke candidate, one of the smartest players in the league.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
You trade Marner you risk not making the playoffs. He is that valuable in the regular season. Buffalo and Ottawa would love if the Leafs traded him.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad