Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
You call around instead of waiting for calls. You don't trade him for a package that doesn't help your team win in the next 3-4 years because you won't get a player like him again. Even if he isn't good at playoff hockey.
If he isn't good at playoff hockey, then who tf cares if we ever get a player like him again?

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
It's not the fans fault...he put himself on the pedestal for demanding so much money...he's the one who thinks he is a god and wanted to be paid like one...he failed himself.
To be fair even if he had signed for 9 million on his last deal, would he get much less criticism as he's getting now for his playoff performances? Maybe only slightly so. People were criticising Nylander a ton on his last deal even though it was pretty reasonable at the time, but they still wanted him to sign for less.

So yeah maybe Marner gets a little bit less heat if he's a 9 million player instead of almost 11 million, but not by much I'd say.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I’d be very surprised if Marner and Tavares aren’t extended this off-season.

Marner, however, has been the subject of a lot of media and fan criticism that has seemed to rub him the wrong way over the years. He might just welcome a fresh start with another team, especially since he would control where he lands. Yes, Marner is a Toronto native as well, but I think everyone can sense his frustration with playing in Canada's hockey hotbet.

Obviously, there is a lot to be determined between now and next season, but with the recent comments from new MLSE President Keith Pelley, it has become very clear that the status quo is not okay under this new regime. MLSE wants to build a winner and you simply can't do that with 4 or 5 players eating up more than half of the salary cap.

Attachments

• 1715058417271.png
    1715058417271.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 7

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Mitch Marner could be on his way out of Toronto, according to sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, as he expects a major shakeup among the "Core 4".​

From the moment the Toronto Maple Leafs were eliminated from the playoffs, Marner has been trending across social media. Mostly because of his effort on David Pastrnak's overtime winner, but also because many Leaf fans are hoping he is dealt this off-season.

Friedman made waves on Monday when he suggested that the Leafs could move Mitch Marner, despite the skilled winger owning a no-movement clause.​

On this morning's '32 Thoughts' podcast, Friedman began the show by commenting on all things Leafs. He revealed that MLSE is essentially "hellbent" on changing the roster construction of the Leafs.

Leafs expected to play hardball with Mitch Marner over NMC​

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
There's no guarantee the return is any better than him in the playoffs

Can it be worse than another round one exit? Do you want that for another 8 years? You know Matthews is only signed for another 4 years, right? The Leafs will probably go downhill after Matthews' contract ends.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Who cares about winning a trade? I want a team that can go deep in the playoffs and Marner isn't a playoff performer. 12M is way too much to pay for a regular season entertainer who disappears when the pressure gets cranked up. That is of course if you are chasing playoff success which I like to think we are. For a small market team that has no cup aspirations who just wants to sell tickets, Marner probably is worth 12 million and that's where I think he should play.

I've heard that trope for years, Ovi wasn't a "playoff" performer, neither was Yzerman until he wasn't

Marner has played some extremely good playoff games and I must admit I'm starting to enjoy how losing trades and talent now "just makes teams better", bull**** it does

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Mitch does himself no favours with his media avails. I cannot defend this guy anymore. That was a horrible press conference.

“We are looked upon as God’s” no Mitch you couldn’t be farther off base. Many of the fans hate your guts. This guy ain’t waiving his NMC. Forget about it

I thought it was a funny comment but a weird one to take seriously

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner worth maybe a couple of first rounders if he agrees to a trade which isn't a given. I have zero clue what playing hardball means. Hardball means Marner plays his year out and walks for nothing. Friedman is an idiot.

Reactions: arso40

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I've heard that trope for years, Ovi wasn't a "playoff" performer, neither was Yzerman until he wasn't

Marner has played some extremely good playoff games and I must admit I'm starting to enjoy how losing trades and talent now "just makes teams better", bull**** it does
For one, Ovechkin came to play in the playoffs. For two, the problem isn't just Marner itself, it's the whole core but Marner's the only one we might be able to move on right now and it is 100% clear this core is done.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

Did OVi one-round exist every season before they beat the LVK? :huh:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Marner worth maybe a couple of first rounders if he agrees to a trade which isn't a given. I have zero clue what playing hardball means. Hardball means Marner plays his year out and walks for nothing. Friedman is an idiot.
what is wrong with letting him walk? I remember the Leafs let a lot of UFA walk before, they said "own rentals"

For one, Ovechkin came to play in the playoffs. For two, the problem isn't just Marner itself, it's the whole core but Marner's the only one we might be able to move on right now and it is 100% clear this core is done.
ya, don't remember who said this on Overdrive "Somehow, from the Leafs winning the cup changes to the core4 winning the cup blah blah blah ...."

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I have never seen the Leaf fan based this indifferent to the team. They need to make a BIG change to wake everyone up.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Marner, however, has been the subject of a lot of media and fan criticism that has seemed to rub him the wrong way over the years. He might just welcome a fresh start with another team, especially since he would control where he lands. Yes, Marner is a Toronto native as well, but I think everyone can sense his frustration with playing in Canada's hockey hotbet.

Obviously, there is a lot to be determined between now and next season, but with the recent comments from new MLSE President Keith Pelley, it has become very clear that the status quo is not okay under this new regime. MLSE wants to build a winner and you simply can't do that with 4 or 5 players eating up more than half of the salary cap.

The issue isn't so much having all that money ties up in four players, it is the four players in whom that money is tied up. If those four were in the top ten in playoff scoring and the Leafs were winning series', nobody would care. If that money was tied up in two top ten playoff scoring forwards, a stud #1 defenceman, a Vezina caliber goalie, and the Leafs were winning series', nobody would care.

The problem is that the players in whom the money is tied up are flawed as a group, so the money is invested in the wrong people.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Hardball if he refuses to waive? It ain't hard to figure out - tell him there is no extension coming, he plays on the 3rd or 4th line, no power play time, no penalty kill time, lots of time being a healthy scratch, and they will leak to the media that they had a good deal in place for him but he refused to waive so if he thinks the fans are pissed at him now he's got another thing coming.

ya, don't remember who said this on Overdrive "Somehow, from the Leafs winning the cup changes to the core4 winning the cup blah blah blah ...."

It was Hayes.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Well both Ovie and Stevie Y actually played well in the playoffs, their teams just couldn't advance and none of them play with anyone remotely as good as them in the beginning of their career. While Marner always have AM, and Willie, Kadri and then JT.

I agree with not losing trade but I don't think a MM trade will be a lopsided trade.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The issue isn't so much having all that money ties up in four players, it is the four players in whom that money is tied up. If those four were in the top ten in playoff scoring and the Leafs were winning series', nobody would care. If that money was tied up in two top ten playoff scoring forwards, a stud #1 defenceman, a Vezina caliber goalie, and the Leafs were winning series', nobody would care.

The problem is that the players in whom the money is tied up are flawed as a group, so the money is invested in the wrong people.
Exactly. I said it before, we betted on the wrong horses. If they all perform at their usual regular season level, we would had won a few rounds and they are actually close.
But they all failed to perform except for Willie, and thats why it is a problem.
Like if the 40mil were spent on McD, Kuch, Stone and Point. They would had probably won a Cup or two.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You can re-sign him @8-9M if he gives you a real value contract. Front loaded, no trade protection. Give him one or two years to get it done, ship him for picks otherwise.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I hope we are done with the Marner god angle. He was only saying that it is very tough when the fans put you on a pedestal and you fail to live up to their expectations. As much as I am disappointed by his playoff performance, the abuse he has taken for that comment is unwarranted.
If the Leafs can’t give us Stanley Cup silver,
We’ll have to settle for Comedic Gold.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It’s in Marner’s best interest to waive if asked. To control (even if it’s 2 teams only) where he goes. Why would he stay. Maybe he gives you only one team and says ok, Ottawa. See you soon. Who knows.

That way, people can blame management, the fans and the media he got traded. He makes out as the good guy. No doubt the media would leak that he wouldn’t waive and if he then walks, he goes to villain. Much like Tavares is disliked on the Island. Why would he want that?

Then, if the Leafs win more games in the playoffs, nothing needs to be said. If they lose, then people can blame it on the Marner trade and he wins again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad