Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
My guess is that it needs to be done as per the terms of the original contract and that the structure of those some of those terms are also set out in the CBA.

So just a guess but likely it can't be changed.
What are those terms. I assume it’s paid in the new contract year that begins on July 1. It could be paid at 12:01 am and he’s traded before FA starts at noon. It would be ideal to get it done at the draft.

Reactions: Kazparov

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Feels like everyone is striving for change for the sake of change, and not really wondering about whether the return will actually improve us. Can’t blame anyone given the results, but if we are trading Mitch it feels like we’re going to get pennies on the dollar. If that’s the case, I’d rather hold onto him for one more year to see if things change under Berube.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
You do know Leafs can and will use the cap from Marner to get players right?
What if they use that 10.893mil to sign Mashesault and Toffoli? Don’t you think two 40 goals scorer will help the Leafs get half a dozen wins?

After due to his contract

Those two miight also perform in the playoffs. Can they be worse than Marner's annual no- shows?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Feels like everyone is striving for change for the sake of change, and not really wondering about whether the return will actually improve us. Can’t blame anyone given the results, but if we are trading Mitch it feels like we’re going to get pennies on the dollar. If that’s the case, I’d rather hold onto him for one more year to see if things change under Berube.

It's not change for the sake of change. It's been 8 years.

It's really time to move on from Marner...he's 27 and has shown what kind of playoff player he is the last 8 years, and he still has a weak shot and afraid of physical play in the playoffs. Leafs will definitely get some decent pieces coming back if he's traded this off-season. The cap space is too valuable to keep him for another year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That’s exactly why many were concerned when they signed these players. Self-inflicted wounds.
I'll see your signed players and raise you a "why some were concerned" at time of draft. :wg:

I'm a self proclaimed draft junkie and follower of junior hockey and a long time NHL follower since the late 1960's.

I was hoping the Leafs would not draft Marner in 2015 in a very strong draft class, for the very reasons the Leafs might be looking to trade him today.. No question/doubt Marner could/would become an elite "regular season point producer", but the key words being regular season.

My fear and expectation from day 1 was that a soft. small, non physical winger that prefers to play on the perimeter, would struggle come playoff time when the game changes and the checking gets tighter and the game more physical that it would have a negative impact on a player like Marner who on his regular season production and thus higher Salary/Cap impact would be expected to be a high impact player when it mattered most in the playoffs..

The reason I would not be opposed to dealing Marner today, are for those very same reasons/beliefs I wouldn't have drafted or wanted to draft him in the first place. His playoff contribution will always be nullified by his preferred style of play. A leopard never changes its spots and Marner is not suddenly going to change over time to adapt to a style of play that he is not comfortable playing as to this day he shies away from contact and won't even take a hit to make a play, and expecting him to dump the puck in, and then go battle a big physical Dman to get the puck back just isn't going to happen.

Bringing Marner into the playoffs is akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight. So when the bullets fly Marner is nowhere to be seen nor can be counted on to lead a team to victory while hiding in the shadows, as self-preservation from getting hit.

Last edited:

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
What are those terms. I assume it’s paid in the new contract year that begins on July 1. It could be paid at 12:01 am and he’s traded before FA starts at noon. It would be ideal to get it done at the draft.
I'm not sure everyone says the bonus part gets paid July 1. I think you're right though

The agreement is basically in place before and the deal gets done official after the bonus goes out

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
This guy is making $11mil/year, why does he need a new coach to make him better? The sooner they move on from him the better

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Those two miight also perform in the playoffs. Can they be worse than Marner's annual no- shows?
Yep. I really think Tre should go hard at Marchessault bc he is the perfect player for this team. Someone who plays with a chip on his shoulder, perform in playoffs and leader.
Toffoli is a great supporting piece who scores and kill penalties

Brian Hayes on Berube

Not saying he has any inside info or doesn't make bad takes himself, but I found it funny that Hayes doesn't even mention Marner here.
He also didn’t mention JT too.

I really think something is brewing and the medias know it.

Reactions: arso40

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's not change for the sake of change. It's been 8 years.

It's really time to move on from Marner...he's 27 and has shown what kind of playoff player he is the last 8 years, and he still has a weak shot and afraid of physical play in the playoffs. Leafs will definitely get some decent pieces coming back if he's traded this off-season. The cap space is too valuable to keep him for another year.
Exactly, playing with capfriendly last night.
If Tre can manage to trade both Marner for Binnington, Parayko and a 1st from Blues.
Trade Calle and JT then sign Toffoli and Marchessault.
Trade Lilly and Kampf and get Bjugstad.
Tre can still have left over money to resign Edmundson and sign another RHD

Reactions: Superstar

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Hard for Marner to come back from this. Any time he hits a slump, rumors will swirl and media will circle. And a constant distraction.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hard for Marner to come back from this. Any time he hits a slump, rumors will swirl and media will circle. And a constant distraction.
Even if he gets on a 32 game pts streak and top 5 in pts the whole season, the question will always be-Playoffs.
Don’t think Tre will renew him till after the playoffs.
At this point, I just don’t think Marner’s camp have confidence in him turning it around in playoffs.
Still think it’s best for him to go to a playoff bubble team bc as long as he plays to his strengths, he will do well and an extension will be done by Xmas.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Even if he gets on a 32 game pts streak and top 5 in pts the whole season, the question will always be-Playoffs.
At this point, I just don’t think Marner’s camp have confidence in him turning it around in playoffs.
Still think it’s best for him to go to a playoff bubble team bc as long as he plays to his strengths, he will do well and an extension will be done by Xmas.
Was that point streak this year or last year? Either way, hardly matters at all. All the core 4 have had excellent individual accomplishments. I was even numb to the 69 goals as I knew the outcome we were heading toward in round 1. It's really sad and the only thing sadder is thinking it'll get better without a big trade

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This guy is making $11mil/year, why does he need a new coach to make him better? The sooner they move on from him the better
Maybe a new coach lets him play to his strengths, run and gun, rather than expecting him to be a bruising defensive man. As was previously stated allow players to play to their strengths. Not changing because it’s playoffs and all about D now. The real mystery is why do people complain where the offence went when the coach is stressing D.

• Haha

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Maybe a new coach lets him play to his strengths, run and gun, rather than expecting him to be a bruising defensive man. As was previously stated allow players to play to their strengths. Not changing because it’s playoffs and all about D now. The real mystery is why do people complain where the offence went when the coach is stressing D.
..... uhhh

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Just because another GM overpaid for him doesn’t mean he can’t improve under another coach. You assume getting rid of him will be addition by subtraction, and I really can’t see that. Unless we can get a solid top D or goalie, the team will be worse.

• Haha

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
What now?

• Haha

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
What happens if we move Marner and we dont win the cup, whos fault will it be then?
I don't like this attitude. Marner has been atrocious in the playoffs and deserves blame. Not only has he been a negative offensively, his turnovers have directly lead to multiple back breaking goals against. He's had chance after chance after chance, and with all the pressure on him with Matthew's and Nylander missing games he scored 1 goal in the 3rd period when we were down 3. He's just not good in the playoffs. We must try something else before we go back to being .500 team. Mm is a playoff black hole.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I don't like this attitude. Marner has been atrocious in the playoffs and deserves blame. Not only has he been a negative offensively, his turnovers have directly lead to multiple back breaking goals against. He's had chance after chance after chance, and with all the pressure on him with Matthew's and Nylander missing games he scored 1 goal in the 3rd period when we were down 3. He's just not good in the playoffs. We must try something else before we go back to being .500 team. Mm is a playoff black hole.

^^

There is not winning the Cup and then there is sucking ass in playoffs for a decade. We're not losing game 7 of SCF here.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Treliving shouldn't consider anything until after the playoffs, just to be safe. l can't see Marner suddenly flipping a switch, contract year or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad