Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If we still lose with moving Marner that’s just gonna be a shitty day for everyone. Which is what I think is gonna happen. Not cause I think Marner is the best player on the planet but I’m really nervous about the reallocation of assets. If we do not find a number one goalie we are screwed
If we don't find a number one goalie we are screwed whether we trade Marner or not.

I think the point is that we are more likely to find/afford a number one goalie by trading Marner or letting him walk.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly, no team operates like that. You can’t! There are times where team moves may align with what fans want. But the team
Isn’t making those moves because of the fans. They have their own internal reasons to make those moves.
We've already seen that they tried to move Nylander and not Marner when they had the chance. They didn't get that idea from the fans

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
If they are making moves based on what they think the fans want, this team will have no hope.

When there are millions asking for it and it's having an effect on revenue then you're god damn right they will. And that's where we are. Look anywhere, Reddit, Twitter, here, 99% of people want him gone yesterday for nothing but cap.

Reactions: PromisedLand

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If we don't find a number one goalie we are screwed whether we trade Marner or not.

I think the point is that we are more likely to find/afford a number one goalie by trading Marner or letting him walk.

I’m in agreement with that. Btw I love Marner but I think moving him is the right decision. I just wanna see us reallocate those funds to defense and goaltending. We need puck movers on the back

When there are millions asking for it and it's having an effect on revenue then you're god damn right they will. And that's where we are. Look anywhere, Reddit, Twitter, here, 99% of people want him gone yesterday for nothing but cap.

But it’s not and it never will. Jersey sales are still hot as ever. Middle aged men are not the target demographic.

Its young people, teenagers, girls, woman. People who don’t care about the salary cap.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If we still lose with moving Marner that’s just gonna be a shitty day for everyone. Which is what I think is gonna happen. Not cause I think Marner is the best player on the planet but I’m really nervous about the reallocation of assets. If we do not find a number one goalie we are screwed
Losing's always shitty no matter what.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Tre is most likely not winning a Marner trade. Dubas had a deal done with Calgary before asking Kadri if he would waive to go there. He did not so they turned to Colorado. Let GMs know you are open to moving him and talk to interested GMs. If and when you have a deal, you tell Marner they are willing to sign him for $X and see if he is willing to waive. If not, you move on to the next highest bidder. If you run out of bidders, he is playing out the year. Good luck getting that 8th year via free agency.
The 8th year lowers his value if anything. The last over 30 to help win a cup was Messier.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
lol so you’re telling me if they move Marner you are going to think the fans had something to do with that haha!?
1718746022022.jpeg

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Noodles is turning into a f***ing tool and really starting to get on my nerves. what a JOKE he is. He wants to give a f***ing 8 yr deal to Marner on a one yr "show me" while completely disregarding the shit post season for the last 8 years

yea... GTFO Noodles
Maybe rogers and bell ordrred these empn
O dog had some great points in the clip.
He says it looks like we are going from years of frustration and things need to change to let’s give mega extensions to everyone and run it back again.
That would be total insanity and we might as well write of the next 7-8 years if they choose to extend Marner.
It won’t be all Marners fault but the thought of running this steaming mess back for 8 more years is

Reactions: arso40

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
LOL. Good times. Forgot about that one. I do recall arguing that he was not a bargain at $10.903m.
What a year... Matthews was much more productive without Marner. Way more productive with two players making more than 2 million less collectively than Marner alone makes! and defensively Matthews xga wasn't affected by not having the incredible defense of Marner on his wing either. Shockingly it was Matthews who was a finalist for the Selke and not Marner.

It's almost as if Marner rides Matthews coat tails...

Matthews makes anyone who plays with him ALOT more productive. That includes Marner.

...Meanwhile Matthews and Tavares were actually less dangerous with Marner than they were without him.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I get it. I really do. I read enough posts by you guys all over HF to know that sometimes your hatred for each other and your team comes from love, and I understand. I'm all for you guys arguing all day and all night if you want. I just ask that you do it without calling each other dumbasses.
Um, I'm asking this question honestly, as I've never seen you before, so please don't smite me.

Are you God?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If they are making moves based on what they think the fans want, this team will have no hope.
If they were listening to the fans they'd have fired Keefe in 2021 like he deserved, and fired Dubas much sooner as well.

Sometimes the fans' take on things turn out to be much better than the managements'. This organization is always years behind on the moves they should make.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
having a cannon on the point (that can hit the net) would be a good start in your search for a reason on why the PP results are SO different and until the last game they were shooting blanks too.

Marner has the BEST ppg in the playoffs, so, least effective is quite subjective, obviously we all expect more from him and want to see Memorial Cup Marner, but, playing for Hunter isnt the same as playing for Keefe now is it as they treat players very differently and have much different expectations/standards for their top players.

Iook, I wanted Marner traded before he signed his last contract, and dont care if he's dealt, but, only IF the Leafs get a huge haul for him.
If they cant get a package that would be considered a 'steal' then, i'd rather keep him and see how things go with a coach who has a clue on how to coach in the playoffs.
Is a different coach gonna make Marner more courageous and have him play to take a hit to make a play or go to the front of the net?

Reactions: ToneDog and arso40

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If they were listening to the fans they'd have fired Keefe in 2021 like he deserved, and fired Dubas much sooner as well.

Sometimes the fans' take on things turn out to be much better than the managements'. This organization is always years behind on the moves they should make.
Word……..

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Guess we'll see soon enough. I'm glad our 1-5% of the fanbase is smart enough to see the truth though. That's why I hang out here and not Reddit. They often have their heads firmly in the sand there, but even they see the Marner issue.
Yea, to say the want marner gone crowd are only in hf is silly. Tsn just put out their poll on whether to extend Marner and 70% said no. Every single podcast/mainstream talk shows are all talking about the same thing and its pretty clear its not just the 1-5 % that reside in the HF forums. The number is much higher.

lol so you’re telling me if they move Marner you are going to think the fans had something to do with that haha!?
Do you think the fans had anything to do with running Murphy out of town? If theres enough backlash from the fans there is no way the higher ups don't take notice.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I get it. I really do. I read enough posts by you guys all over HF to know that sometimes your hatred for each other and your team comes from love, and I understand. I'm all for you guys arguing all day and all night if you want. I just ask that you do it without calling each other dumbasses.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
What effect is it/will it have on revenue? I'd love to see someone quantify it. Not just you but any1.
Tic sales won't suffer either way. Too much corporate cash in tic sales. (Maybe if actual hockey fans had tickets lol)
Cut of league deals for sponsorships n tv won't suffer either way.
If GMs start looking at Twitter for advice........
I'm not saying he should stay or go but the MLSE group coffers will be overflowing either way.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No you’re delusional if you think fans matter in decision like that. They are moving him because they have come to the conclusion that they can’t win with this core. It has nothing to do with the fans on twitter or hf boards. If the fans had any say Marner would have been moved after Montreal.
If fans had a say Kadri would steal be a leaf, so would Hyman.
I'd say you're right in that what the fans think doesn't matter much, at least as long as they keep buying tickets, jerseys etc.

I think you're wrong about the rest though. You say "they are moving him", there's nothing I'm aware of that makes this a certainty. And when I broached the idea of moving Marner after losing to Montreal, most people reacted negatively to that idea so if it was up to the fans, I would have been outvoted. Most people were also on board with moving Kadri and letting Hyman walk. Not everyone 100%, but a strong majority in Kadri's case, and an overwhelming majority in the case of Hyman, at least that's the way I remember it.

I would only add that while I agree that what fans think is almost always a non-factor, in Marner's case it could become a factor at some point depending on how things play out, we'll see.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Not that it would ever come to that but there would be easy rebuttals to all of that.
No reason for both sides not to take the high road and figure it out
I agree the highroad is the way here. The threat or implication of the above might also be enough pressure to waive the NMC.

I almost sure there are rebuttals to those three points.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ya know, if Marner forces his way onto the team this year, I could really see him struggling without Keefe there to give him his juice box and apple slices at intermission. Berube doesn't seem like the type to have patience for the kid gloves bullshit.

Which in a contract year where hes trying to screw over the organization again, would be f***ing hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad