Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
come on man. we are discussing hockey. If the point is to just chill and say how awesome everything is with rainbows then whats the point of HF Boards to begin with?

Losing shit and being a keyboard warrior is what HF is for. And I LOVE IT! ;)

:laugh:

Just in here battling, giving her 110%. My fingertips are full of grit grime and grind *sniffs* yeah I am warrioring it up in here.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Some of you need to relax. It’s radio, their job is to present all angles. If everyone on radio had the same opinion it would be boring. Also do you think Brad Treliving gives two shits about what Noodles wants to do? Or what us fans are posting on hf boards want? Why are you getting so worked up over a radio segment?
Actually if enough fans do speak out and show their displeasure management will take action. It has happened in the past and I suspect we are at that point or very near that point right now.

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If the goal is to move off Marner, you better hope 31 other teams give a shit about Marner's regular season accomplishments - because that's going to drive the market on him.

No one's going to give up a premium for Marner based on his playoff ghost act late in series.
Good point. But I am talking more about the fans then GM’s and executives in the game.

Does this sound like a style of hockey Marner would excel at????

Definitely not

Does this sound like a style of hockey Marner would excel at????

Definitely not

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Actually if enough fans do speak out and show their displeasure management will take action. It has happened in the past and I suspect we are at that point or very near that point right now.

I can tell you straight up, the leafs don’t give a flying SHIT about hf boards. HF Boards is like 1-5% of the entire fanbase. My entire department is leafs fans and it’s a mixed bag, you have people who love Marner, you have people who hate Marner, you have people who are in different. That is probably the sense of the entire fan base, there are some who are 100% ready to move on from the guy, there are also a lot who don’t wanna see him moved and then another group who doesn’t care as long as they win.

The trade Marner group isn’t big enough to cause any change. If they lose I can see the fanbase making a stink about change because of loss which is something we all universally agree needs to improve but the leafs are not going to trade a guy because some in the fanbase want him gone.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Marner was tied with two defencemen and a rookie for fifth best ppg, behind Bert and Domi and two guys who were playing sick or injured. Going by cap you could say JT was worse, but that's about it.
are you looking only at this past season? I'm talking about the core 4

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
His +/- stats over the past 4 years are similar Matthews' stats, so either he's committed to playing both ways or else the puck is rarely in the dzone when he's on the ice.

More like when both he and Drai don't dominate. So are we saying the same thing about Matthews, Marner and Nylander?
McDavid outpoints Matthews by 30-50+ every season, the +/- being close shows how bad McDavid is on the defensive side.

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
I can tell you straight up, the leafs don’t give a flying SHIT about hf boards. HF Boards is like 1-5% of the entire fanbase. My entire department is leafs fans and it’s a mixed bag, you have people who love Marner, you have people who hate Marner, you have people who are in different. That is probably the sense of the entire fan base, there are some who are 100% ready to move on from the guy, there are also a lot who don’t wanna see him moved and then another group who doesn’t care as long as they win.

The trade Marner group isn’t big enough to cause any change. If they lose I can see the fanbase making a stink about change because of loss which is something we all universally agree needs to improve but the leafs are not going to trade a guy because some in the fanbase want him gone.
Guess we'll see soon enough. I'm glad our 1-5% of the fanbase is smart enough to see the truth though. That's why I hang out here and not Reddit. They often have their heads firmly in the sand there, but even they see the Marner issue.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

My guess is that 99% of people are in this group. The thing is, there's a ton of overlap between this group and the group that want Marner moved because so many of us are convinced by now that moving Marner gives us the best chance of winning.

That's me anyway, and I think it applies to many of us here. I don't care that he comes off as being self entitled, immature, whiny etc., if he helped us win in the playoffs that would trump all that many times over. It's that he turns into a wuss when the pressure is on, that's why I don't see him helping us win in the playoffs ever and that's why I would rather move forward without him.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
lol so you’re telling me if they move Marner you are going to think the fans had something to do with that haha!?
You're delusional if you think the team would explore moving him if the response was entirely different. Of course the millions of fans have a say in this team. MLSE is about money and if the fans aren't spending money they will make changes. They see the numbers and read the socials, it's their bloody jobs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
My guess is that 99% of people are in this group. The thing is, there's a ton of overlap between this group and the group that want Marner moved because so many of us are convinced by now that moving Marner gives us the best chance of winning.

If we still lose with moving Marner that’s just gonna be a shitty day for everyone. Which is what I think is gonna happen. Not cause I think Marner is the best player on the planet but I’m really nervous about the reallocation of assets. If we do not find a number one goalie we are screwed

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Agreed, but without Marner knowing it, Treliving could be doing his due diligence homework behind the scenes currently .... Right now he is blocked by a NMC.

Teams interested in Marner's service have two obstacles, and that is completing a successful trade with Leafs GM that he would take, and also be prepared to meet Marner's future salary demands.

When the timing is right and BT has a trade he would accept he can then give that team permission to talk contract with Darren Farris directly even. BT however could also talk contract with Marner getting a good feel for his asking price on next contract to pass that info along to interested parties. Treliving would not re-sign him until he already had a firm commitment from another team on term, cost and price of assets exchanged in trade.

The real goal here is to complete a successful sign and trade deal (the sooner the better) where Marner is on board and then the current NMC becomes just a formality if all 3 sides can come to terms. My scenario was to show that from Marner's perspective IF the Leafs want to move on from him, it would be in Marner's best long-term interest to co-operate and participate because for him the end result is the same that his time in TO is over and he will be moving on and that is inevitable 1 way or the other.

PS. Don't forget about salary retention also where Leafs could agree to pick up a portion in order to facilitate a trade and even if it got to Marner with a new contract and no trade imminent (worst case scenario) without any trade protection a deal is still possible to see a successful trade without the contract being the issue. If the new team wants Marner at $10 mil AAV instead of $12 AAV then that becomes a part of the negotiation and factors into the exchange in the trade. Trading a re-signed Marner returns greater value then a 1 year rental and pending UFA would also to the other party as well when dealing away assets to obtain his services.

An 8th year (only possible for the Leafs to provide) otherwise it 7 years max could be a 8 year X $12.5 mil deal with a $2.5 mil Leafs retention, and a new team getting Mitch at 8 X $10 mil less than he makes now AAV. Just toss in pick(s) / prospects etc to compete a deal that Toronto would accept to offset retention costs/benefits.
are you off your rocker? ...the Leafs will not sign and trade Marner and retain $$.
retain on the single year is possible for sure, but not on a 7-8 year deal. to suggest it is bad enough, but retaining 2.5... come on man, you are better than this!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You're delusional if you think the team would explore moving him if the response was entirely different. Of course the millions of fans have a say in this team. MLSE is about money and if the fans aren't spending money they will make changes. They see the numbers and read the socials, it's their bloody jobs.

No you’re delusional if you think fans matter in decision like that. They are moving him because they have come to the conclusion that they can’t win with this core. It has nothing to do with the fans on twitter or hf boards. If the fans had any say Marner would have been moved after Montreal.
If fans had a say Kadri would steal be a leaf, so would Hyman.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
No you’re delusional if you think fans matter in decision like that. They are moving him because they have come to the conclusion that they can’t win with this core. It has nothing to do with the fans on twitter or hf boards. If the fans had any say Marner would have been moved after Montreal.
You're wrong about Kadri, almost every Leaf fan wanted him gone at the time. And there was no uproar to keep Hyman, most thought he was whatever. This is completely different.

If millions of fans weren't calling for Marner's head right now we would have no talk of moving him and management wouldn't even flinch, I guarantee it. If you can't see how that logic works idek how to explain it to you.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
are you looking only at this past season? I'm talking about the core 4
Yes that was last season. If you want to look at the last four, then Matthews and Nylander have a ppg of 0.97, Marner has 0.91, and Tavares has 0.62.

If you consider that MItch plays with Matty and Willy plays with JT, it makes it even more lopsided.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You're wrong about Kadri, almost every Leaf fan wanted him gone at the time.

If millions of fans weren't calling for Marner's head right now we would have no talk of moving him and management wouldn't even flinch, I guarantee it. If you can't see how that logic works idek how to explain it to you.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

lol I promise you fan pressure isn’t why they are exploring trading Marner. I think it’s just common sense. We have too many guys making too much money. They can’t keep everyone, 2024 or 2025 was always going to be the year we lose one of them.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
lol I promise you fan pressure isn’t why they are exploring trading Marner. I think it’s just common sense. We have too many guys making too much money. They can’t keep everyone, 2024 or 2025 was always going to be the year we lose one of them.
Have a good day.

PS you're wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If they are making moves based on what they think the fans want, this team will have no hope.

Reactions: bax and francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If they are making moves based on what they think the fans want, this team will have no hope.

Exactly, no team operates like that. You can’t! There are times where team moves may align with what fans want. But the team
Isn’t making those moves because of the fans. They have their own internal reasons to make those moves.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad