Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I get it, you like Marner and want to keep him.

I'm just saying you aren't giving him away for nothing if he walks. You are getting his cap space and there are possibilities to improve the team, possibly by quite a bit with that cap space.

Of course I have no idea who/what you are trading unless I know what the trade is. Maybe the return you get is actually what you get FOR Marner. Maybe you get a high pick back in the Marner trade and then you flip that pick to another team for a higher priced piece they can't afford but you can afford now. I can't predict the future, but what I can tell you is all the thing I mentioned above, AND in my previous posts, are possibilities.
You havent processed what I said. You cannot build a team with just Cap. You need assets. The free agent market isn't a thrift shop so if you want to trade, you need something to trade. My point is that a signed Marner is more of an asset...even with a NMC than an unsigned Marner. These players do not fall out of the sky. Plenty of cap room for all kinds of teams. Why arent they picking up great players?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You havent processed what I said. You cannot build a team with just Cap. You need assets. The free agent market isn't a thrift shop so if you want to trade, you need something to trade. My point is that a signed Marner is more of an asset...even with a NMC than an unsigned Marner. These players do not fall out of the sky. Plenty of cap room for all kinds of teams. Why arent they picking up great players?
If he's not willing to waive his NMC now, what makes you think he'll be willing to do so at a later date?

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Marner - RW ($10.9 mil) for Andersson - RD ($4.55 mil) & Markstrom - G ($6.0 mil)

Calgary 20th in GF could use the Offence. Toronto needs a goalie and a top pairing RD. Calgary has a glut of Goalie prospects pushing for a NHL job.

Marner is younger and the better player of the 3. Marner has 1 year left , RA and JM have 2 years left.

The deal makes too much sense which is why it would never happen, Calgary has their head up their ass, overvaluing their players and then there is the Treliving Tax. Marner is too much of an entitled bitch to waive, he'd rather sulk for a year, ride out his contract and sign elsewhere as a F U to the Org..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Maybe he thought he'd be canned if he did.
Hard enough to be a NHL coach let alone be handcuffed by those above you, have to make a stand ir they’ll walk all over you imo…..

We will see who is right.

Who are you offering exactly for that trade? Knies?
Has nothing to do with who’s right, it’s about what’s right for the team…….

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hard enough to be a NHL coach let alone be handcuffed by those above you, have to make a stand ir they’ll walk all over you imo…..

We’ve never had a chance to be right.
For 8 years we’ve done it their way, with their core and their players you don’t trade.
We’ve experienced little to no playoff success. Let’s do it a new way. We already know what the team has done in the past.
Team is right for sure.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Sorry guys my post was off topic.

Let's get back to Trading Marner, or at least complaining about him
Finally

Daily rep. Get outttaaaa heeeere
Thank you.

TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif

• Haha
Reactions: arso40 and Kazparov

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The Kadri trade doesn't make sense when discussing Marner. Kadri was never a compete issue, it was the exact opposite, he cared deeply and was very emotionally invested and it got the best of him. Marner just doesn't care to compete.

Marner doesn't have a compete issue either.

It is crazy to see people complain about production from Marner, and then also be the same people defending Hyman/Kadri (not sure you are that person).

Kadri had 10 points in 19 games
Hyman had 13 points in 32 games
Marner has 50 points in 57 games

Can someone make it make sense?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

It is crazy to see people complain about production from Marner, and then also be the same people defending Hyman/Kadri (not sure you are that person).

How can you watched last two playoffs series and state MM doesn’t have a compete issue?

For the first two games against the Bruins, he was afraid to carry the puck.

Also Kadri and Hyman stats were from years ago as a Leafs. They had much much better stats since leaving.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How can you watched last two playoffs series and state MM doesn’t have a compete issue?

Also Kadri and Hyman stats were from years ago as a Leafs. They had much much better stats since leaving.
I feel like a broken record at this point asking where the f*** all these narratives were when the playoffs were actually going on.

Nobody showed up to defend this kid after the playoff games, you'd look like a lunatic to do so after how shitty and impactful he looked after every game.

What a difference 4-6 weeks makes when it comes to people's hockey knowledge (or lack thereof).

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Who cares about their stats outside of Toronto? People wanted to keep them why?

I saw the Tampa series too, not sure if you missed it, but selecting only 2 playoff series seems weird.

People confuse compete for not being able to execute, or they are just dishonest, not sure.

I think Marner is always trying and competing, the difference is when he is not executing he doesn't look like it, his job is different than Hyman/Kadri.

I feel like a broken record at this point asking where the f*** all these narratives were when the playoffs were actually going on.

Nobody showed up to defend this kid after the playoff games, you'd look like a lunatic to do so after how shitty and impactful he looked after every game.

What a difference 4-6 weeks makes when it comes to people's hockey knowledge (or lack thereof).

We are discussing his playoff career, no one is defending him this year.

You are arguing with yourself if you are trying to tell people he sucked this year.

Reactions: arso40

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We are discussing his playoff career, no one is defending him this year.

You are arguing with yourself if you are trying to tell people he sucked this year.
Yeah that's why it's nice not being a goldfish. You can actually remember Marner's entire playoff career where he's showed an alarming lack of compete, especially in crucial games 5-7 there's multiple clips of him literally sidestepping hits to avoid fighting for a puck in his own zone.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Who cares about their stats outside of Toronto? People wanted to keep them why?

I saw the Tampa series too, not sure if you missed it, but selecting only 2 playoff series seems weird.

People confuse compete for not being able to execute, or they are just dishonest, not sure.

I think Marner is always trying and competing, the difference is when he is not executing he doesn't look like it, his job is different than Hyman/Kadri.
Last two playoffs series not just any two playoff series.
No point stating any players was amazing in any series when it was years ago.

Kadri left not bc he can’t play or priced himself out. He probably would after the old contract.

Most people didn’t want Kadri to leave but understand it was time bc of his suspension history.

Hyman is a different story. I would have kept him but I just don’t see how the cap could fit him.

One thing for sure, both of these guys will not be afraid to get hit in the playoffs and are willing to battle in front of the net or in the corners. Which are more than we can say about some of our top guys.

Lastly, this is not a try league, it is a get it done league. If you are making a top 10 salary in the league, you are expected to get it done.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yeah that's why it's nice not being a goldfish. You can actually remember Marner's entire playoff career where he's showed an alarming lack of compete, especially in crucial games 5-7 there's multiple clips of him literally sidestepping hits to avoid fighting for a puck in his own zone.

You are a broken record... the fact that the "games 5-7" argument is required to make him look bad, says something.

Games 1-4 are important too.

I don't know if you only watch Marner in the playoffs, but a lot of his takeaways are avoiding contact and attacking the stick, this isn't new...

The only person who has truly backed out of even attacking a puck, and who does it often still, is Nylander.

I think people are going to be upset when Berube likes Marner too.

• Haha

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Just feels like the obvious outcome here is that they end up keeping Marner through the start of next season and he starts the year on a massive tear, resulting in the inevitable resigning.
You take that back

not for some its not

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You are a broken record... the fact that the "games 5-7" argument is required to make him look bad, says something.

Games 1-4 are important too.

I don't know if you only watch Marner in the playoffs, but a lot of his takeaways are avoiding contact and attacking the stick, this isn't new...

The only person who has truly backed out of even attacking a puck, and who does it often still, is Nylander.

I think people are going to be upset when Berube likes Marner too.
Thought Cassidy is the coach of Vegas. Berube is with the Leafs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Last two playoffs series not just any two playoff series.
No point stating any players was amazing in any series when it was years ago.

Kadri left not bc he can’t play or priced himself out. He probably would after the old contract.

Most people didn’t want Kadri to leave but understand it was time bc of his suspension history.

Hyman is a different story. I would have kept him but I just don’t see how the cap could fit him.

One thing for sure, both of these guys will not be afraid to get hit in the playoffs and are willing to battle in front of the net or in the corners. Which are more than we can say about some of our top guys.

Lastly, this is not a try league, it is a get it done league. If you are making a top 10 salary in the league, you are expected to get it done.

You brought up a series that happened a week after a series I brought up... not years ago.

Read my other post... Marner will never use his body as the first option to separate players from the puck.

For how much Hyman is not afraid to use his body, he sure sucks at takeaways. Marner is producing a lot more using only his stick.

Salaries are based on a mixture of multiple things and most based on regular season, hate to break it to you.

If you don't like how players are paid, maybe write all the GMs?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

Keefe did an impressive job IMO, catered to Dubas/Shanahan without getting fired. Kept his class. Took responsibility, unlike his players, for the failures. And he got hired for his next job by someone other than Dubas, which I thought was super important for him - you don't want to follow in the footsteps of Spezza. You have to establish yourself before you start making demands, even then you trend lightly. The boss is the boss.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
There's literal video footage of Marner (multiple clips) doing this.

Try again goldfish.

Can you post the multiple clips?

Assuming you've never played contact hockey since that is not him avoiding contact, that is him getting ready to brace for contact, but he lost track of the puck, maybe due to being scared, but to me, his intention was not to skate by the puck.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The Kadri trade doesn't make sense when discussing Marner. Kadri was never a compete issue, it was the exact opposite, he cared deeply and was very emotionally invested and it got the best of him. Marner just doesn't care to compete.
Nah they're pretty similar in that they're both selfish children. Kadri had his temper tantrums, Marner has his fragile ego

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

We're not watching the same games

Yes we don't stare at a stat sheet at the end of the year, we watch games. Mainly playoff games. Here's what I've seen consistently from Marner

- Terrified to go into corners
- Gets scared of contact and ends up turning the puck over or flipping it over the glass
- Gives up on puck races because he's scared of being hit
- Usually pads his stats in a high scoring game, Game 1/2/3
- Pissy attitude

I think you're confusing stat padding for competing and actually being an impact player in the playoffs. The guy is straight up invisible for majority of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad