Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That's exactly what Nylander and Rielly did.
Unmmm sort of…..but they all used the word scapegoat that they made up out of the blue with no evidence. Deflecting away, blaming others because they’ve proven they are not good enough at playoff hockey.

Year after year Toronto fans accept this absolute horrific shit which is why I continue to say it’s the easiest large market to play in.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Worst case scenerio: Mitch says he aint going anywhere. Plays out his contract and walks into free agency.

You think Leafs have the balls to anchor him to the third line all season? No way.

This is all in the assumption that he be traded this season. His agent is a 'walk into free agency ' type of guy. Thats the advice me thinks he is getting.

If this is so, Leafs dont want to lose him for nothing into free agency. So they extend him.

Reactions: KaN19

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Worst case scenerio: Mitch says he aint going anywhere. Plays out his contract and walks into free agency.

You think Leafs have the balls to anchor him to the third line all season? No way.

This is all in the assumption that he be traded this season. His agent is a 'walk into free agency ' type of guy. Thats the advice me thinks he is getting.

If this is so, Leafs dont want to lose him for nothing into free agency. So they extend him.
I have no problem letting him walk now. Last year was the time to trade him. Many of us said this before July 1st. Maybe if we had, the deal could have worked out and we’d be in the 2nd round. Who knows.

If he doesn’t waive, fine, play it out. Use him for the year, put him in the best positions to pad his stats and let someone else pay 13 million. Inflate his salary as much as possible.

Reactions: saffronleaf

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023

Yeah, I don't see any scenario where he walks for nothing.

Either he agrees to waive his NMC this summer and we're able to find a new home for him (unlikely).

Or the market's anger subsides by the pre-season like it usually does, and we re-sign him during one of his midseason heaters.

Nothing about the organization's past behaviour indicates they are willing to play hardball with a superstar pending UFA. They always shit their pants and cave.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Or the market's anger subsides by the pre-season like it usually does, and we re-sign him during one of his midseason heaters.

That's just handicapping new management having less cap flexibility.

We dont need Marner's services.

It would be great to get something for him, but we aren't going to.

And we can't sign him without knowing he's traded.

I do get it Marner is staying because winning isn't important.

Scotiabank is sold out every night.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, I don't see any scenario where he walks for nothing.

Either he agrees to waive his NMC this summer and we're able to find a new home for him (unlikely).

Nothing about the organization's past behaviour indicates they are willing to play hardball with a superstar pending UFA. They always shit their pants and cave.
Unless management wants to win in the playoffs, and Marner refuses to waive his NMC, and management isn't stupid. Then they have no choice but to let him walk for nothing.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024

MM is a regular season performer.

He'll probably do crap in the playoffs again next season if he stays put. So all Keefe has to do is adjust the lines so he plays less or gets dropped fewer minutes. But his regular season and playoff minutes were the same at 21 min/game. Which shows Keefe isn't adjusting. You'd think bad playoff performers would get fewer mins than reg season.

if coaches can figure out how to adjust goalies in the playoffs, how hard can it be to adjust forward lines or minutes?

Amazingly, MM does lousy in the playoffs, but the past bunch of years before this season Keefe actually plays him more in the playoffs at 24 min/game than reg season 21 min. So Keefe is going against the grain when it comes to playing the best performing playoff guys. You'd think a coach (like goalies) would play the better guys more and the guys who bomb less. Nope.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think Marner stays and humbly accepts the Nylander contract.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Unless management wants to win in the playoffs, and Marner refuses to waive his NMC, and management isn't stupid. Then they have no choice but to let him walk for nothing.
We don’t know what is going on behind closed doors. What people say to the media isn’t always the truth.

Whatever the case, they need a big sit down with Marner and decide where they are both headed. This shouldn’t linger all year. Media will be asking Marner and management every other month if he’s staying/going. If it’s a mutual separation then the process can begin.

I’d be looking for something like Dobson for Marner deal if available and NY is one of the teams.

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
Management had years to trade Mitch before his NMC kicked in. They chose not to. Now I'm supposed to believe Shanny has the balls to let Marner walk as a UFA?

Come on. The TikToks of Mitch's dangles will be going viral come next January and he'll be on some insane point streak. Media will be saying you can't lose such a great talent for nothing and fans will be drinking the kool-aid as well. Then, boom: his $12mx8 deal is unveiled.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Canes and Rangers are soft compared to Leafs and Bruins.

Still pissed at this guy but at the same time it's obvious to me he'd rack up points away from Bruins or panthers.

Round 1 and 2 is the issue. Round 3 and 4 is the cake walk for Marner. Weird thing to say but those who follow Atlantic format understand it.

Need to figure out how to get this guy to round 3 so he can help carry us from there

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We don’t know what is going on behind closed doors. What people say to the media isn’t always the truth.

Whatever the case, they need a big sit down with Marner and decide where they are both headed. This shouldn’t linger all year. Media will be asking Marner and management every other month if he’s staying/going. If it’s a mutual separation then the process can begin.

I’d be looking for something like Dobson for Marner deal if available and NY is one of the teams.
Of course we don't know what's going on. But if we do trade him, I wouldn't mind getting picks and prospects.
Management had years to trade Mitch before his NMC kicked in. They chose not to. Now I'm supposed to believe Shanny has the balls to let Marner walk as a UFA?

Come on. The TikToks of Mitch's dangles will be going viral come next January and he'll be on some insane point streak. Media will be saying you can't lose such a great talent for nothing and fans will be drinking the kool-aid as well. Then, boom: his $12mx8 deal is unveiled.
You're not "supposed to believe" anything and I'm not commenting on Shanny's balls or lack thereof, perhaps you misunderstood my post. I'm just saying that in theory, they could let him walk and I listed the prerequisites for that happening without making predictions one way or another.

If I was in charge and he won't waive his NMC and won't sign with us for a ridiculous discount then I'm 100% letting him walk. But that's just me, of course I have idea what's going to happen. Maybe they're content with 1st round exits as long as they keep selling out every game, in that case they'll probably extend him and if so, then as I've said before, brace yourself for another decade of irrelevance.

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
Marner should absolutely be traded, but I honestly expect Treveling will re-sign him long term.

Why? Because Treveling lost both Tkachuk and Gadreau in Calgary, he is going to make sure that he is not going to lose any more star players as long as he is GM.

Unfortunately they are going to run it back with the core 4. The only big changes I expect are the coaching staff.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
People think I'm not serious about this but I am. Marner for Sid straight up. Sid would singlehandedly drive this team to a Cup.
I understand the logic of getting the been there done that hard competitor, but I don’t see that at all. The Pittsburgh plan is to win Crosby another Cup there, he wouldn’t be available.
Unfortunately, even though I know Dubas would be up for it, Pittsburgh really has nothing we want. Not on the roster or in the system. If they did, they’d be on the team.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He borrowed it from Wendel Clark who said something similar to the media before the playoffs started.

Wendal Clark

Vs

Mitch Marner

Which one do fans actually treat like gods, or have in high regard?
welcome-back-kotter-kotter.gif

Unmmm sort of…..but they all used the word scapegoat that they made up out of the blue with no evidence. Deflecting away, blaming others because they’ve proven they are not good enough at playoff hockey.

Year after year Toronto fans accept this absolute horrific shit which is why I continue to say it’s the easiest large market to play in.
Victimhood mentality is rife in that generation, especially among those who believe themselves to be entitled.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
It is almost Thursday and I still can't stop thinking this guy had money riding on the Bruins. There is no other explanation for why he galaxy-brained the wrap-around when Swayman left him the puck.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
This is probably going to be an unpopular take. But, if he's not moved this summer and he rides out the season here next year, because it's his contract year, I honestly would not be surprised at all if he actually plays amazing in the playoffs. Lol.

It is almost Thursday and I still can't stop thinking this guy had money riding on the Bruins. There is no other explanation for why he galaxy-brained the wrap-around when Swayman left him the puck.
When that play happened, that officially made me want him out of here.

Like WTF was he thinking there????

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Even if hypothetically Marner, Matthews and Nylander all took reasonable deals you're only saving a few million a year that's barely enough to sign one or two decent players at best. I don't think the Leafs are one or two decent players away from being a regular first round loser to a regular 3-4 round or even cup winning team.

The bigger difference maker would've been choosing not to sign Tavares or trading away one of the other big 3 and freeing up 10 million+ to sign 2-3 pretty good/really good players.
I agree that JT was an absolutely not needed signing. It put into motion too many things that ended up biting us including overpaying the young stars because they were seeing an 1P/PG player who was nothing special get $11M.

I also agree that our cap problem was more of a cap allocation problem than a pure overpayment issue...but in saying that...it comes off sad that Marner had to read his "I love you Toronto" letter on instagram because he knew people were pissed that a hometown boy who grew up here would act in the same manner as 2 other guys who had no roots in this city....greedy. All he had to do was take a bit less like Reilly did and it would have gone much smoother. Reilly played like absolute shit and nobody in the media really points it out.....be like Mo....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Dooming this team to loserville.

Whoever approves of this contract should be fired.
We will see what happens. I wouldn’t give him the contract. I don’t even care if he walks.
We were just beat by Boston whose top 2 centres are Zacha and Coyle. If we can’t retool this this team around Matthews and Nylander + 22 million, why are even moving forward.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad