Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
I
I don't see any way that Marner signs a deal without a NMC. That's damn near 100% he's getting traded without any say where he's going. Sign and trade sounds good for the Leafs, but Marner will ask for something stupid like $13 per season and then the team has to compensate the Leafs as well? That is a hard sell because current Marner isn't worth anywhere near that kind of cheese. I would think if the Leafs really do want to move on, and I sure hope they do but I have zero faith in Shanahan, there is a good chance he walks for nothing. Which is still better than bringing him back on a long-term deal, and it's not close. He needs to go.
If Marner wants a 8th year on his contract extension he’s gonna have to play ball with one team willing to sign him.

Reactions: WilliamInLondon

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If we resign Marner, I am so done until his entitled little punk ass if off the team. Same goes for Tavares. These 2 are part of the leadership group of this team.

Marner playing the way he plays in the playoffs is just a disrespect on wearing that jersey. Being from Toronto, and knowing what type of leaders and players that played here in years prior, you would think you would put your heart on your sleeve. If you did, then fans would have your back, but you show absolutely nothing, but want only big pay days. The god comment is from being coddled too much from MLSE and from Dubas, Shanahan and Keefe, that made your head bigger than it is. I hope he's absolutely gone far and away from here. It would be good riddance. Rip the A off his jersey and get rid of this nuisance in the locker room.

Tavares saying "We're almost there", is just a slap to the face to the fanbase here and has no clue what leadership skills are. If he thinks the fanbase are clueless that, yeah we're so close to winning, sorry John, but your so f***ing delusional. I've had enough of the excuses and "we're learning" speech every god damn year. Strip the C off him, he is not leading anything on this team.

No one took accountability on this team again. Only one who actually did was Samsonov. He did his part in game 7, he kept the Bruins to 1 goal in the game. Keefe has to go as well. Trying to get Mitch going attaching him to Mattews is another way of coddling Marner again. When we know damn well, he either should have been playing way less time or be put on the 3rd or the 4th line with the way he was playing.

End rant/
We had a media day thread but it’s gone….

That end of season media availability was a disgrace. It showed they have no clue what the problems are and rather looking in the mirror they tried to blame the media and fans for picking a scapegoat.

And some think making Matthews the Captain would solve some of the problems. He’s no leader based on those comments and it makes me think he’ll never win. I can only speculate, but I don’t think he was even injured.

Reactions: Racer88

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If Marner wants a 8th year on his contract extension he’s gonna have to play ball with one team willing to sign him.

He's not what the team needs to win PLAYOFF GAMES.
If he is signed, the team doesn't really care about winning.

The media need to run him out of town if the stupid team is willing to give him a contract.

We need MORE flexibility than just JT's contract dropping off.

FWIW, I dont think MLSE REALLY cares about winning. They just get excited about stuff like TikTok and Milk sponsorships.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010

That end of season media availability was a disgrace. It showed they have no clue what the problems are and rather looking in the mirror they tried to blame the media and fans for picking a scapegoat.

And some think making Matthews the Captain would solve some of the problems. He’s no leader based on those comments and it makes me think he’ll never win. I can only speculate, but I don’t think he was even injured.
That’s a possibility, he wouldn’t even address his injury…like why wouldn’t you disclose it after you’ve been eliminated. I think Matthews took his ball and went home and faked an injury personally

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I really don’t understand Matthews in this situation. If you get eliminated and were hurt, why wouldn’t you disclose the information. I know you don’t want to make excuses for losing but people can understand if you had some serious issue.

Nylander had no problem disclosing what happened. Headaches that became a concussion concern. Completely understandable.

But Matthews? Makes no sense. Unless he had some really embarrassing injury.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
The talk that Ferris has a history of walking his clients to UFA is useful, but the media is interpreting it the wrong way. I don't think this means that Marner will not waive his NMC and ride out the last year in Toronto no matter what.

This basically just means (and Dreger/Ferris alluded to this as well on recent pod) that Marner likely would only be willing to get traded to a contender. Said contender would also have to be fine in trading for him knowing he could only be a full season rental.

If the Leafs make it clear to Marner they will not even engage his camp in extension negotiations, wouldn't Marner rather play out his contract year with a contender he might have a chance of re signing with? Instead of a team who (hypothetically) doesn't even engage his camp?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Dreger says that he knows Darren Ferris well (makes sense given the embarrassing behavior by Dreger during the last contract negotiation) - mentions that Ferris prefers to have his clients go all the way down to free agency in situations like this where the player has a NMC
And I bet he wants a pony too!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The discussion about Marner was really weird yesterday. Not going to go into all of it but the best part was then they were speculating that they might agree in the summer to extend Marner, but not announce it until he went on a hot streak in November or WE so that the fans would be on board, what a ridiculous conspiracy. And then the question was how would the fans react, O'Dog said something like "I'd soil myself".

LMAO, he wants no part of Marner whatsoever moving forward. Smart boy!

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Tre's reluctance to use the full LTIR relief (which implies we lose assets to make the trades and we don't even know if it would have been worth it, I guess the names weren't good enough for the price) suggests he's looking 10 years out. He wants to be a contender every year and not just a few.

Your first sentence falls in line with just waiting out JT's 1 year. The pieces are still there to make a deep run next year, then possibilites are endless after that.

We're not trading Marner just because of this unwritten rule we have to make this big splash in 24/25. The ages of our 3 stars set us up nice.

All 3 healthy, a top 4 D (doesn't have to be a big expensive 25 minute top 2), maintain the physicality....we are capable of a deep run going status quo. Status quo got an upgrade, it now includes being a hits leader.
Sigh. They never learn.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have no issue matching Nylanders contract of 11.5 x 8. That would be my incentive to keep Marner happy. The thing is I would not be offering a NMC. If it had to be in it, I would do NMC in years 6 7 8 and Limited beforehand.

You could also explore a year 1 2 3 NMC or similar if you really want to make this core work. Seems foolish to do that though.

Add. My reasoning for only matching Nylander is his contract was under on value to start. Marners was over. This balances things and doesn't create animosity.

Doubt he gets 12m on thw open market. These POs have been pretty obvious to the league.
Interesting. The reasoning for matching Nylander makes sense, and signing Marner without a NMC is the only way I would even consider it but I have a strong preference for moving him right away. If he's a 5 million dollar player in the playoffs, I don't want to be stuck with him for a minute longer than I have to be.

I don't see any way that Marner signs a deal without a NMC. That's damn near 100% he's getting traded without any say where he's going. Sign and trade sounds good for the Leafs, but Marner will ask for something stupid like $13 per season and then the team has to compensate the Leafs as well? That is a hard sell because current Marner isn't worth anywhere near that kind of cheese. I would think if the Leafs really do want to move on, and I sure hope they do but I have zero faith in Shanahan, there is a good chance he walks for nothing. Which is still better than bringing him back on a long-term deal, and it's not close. He needs to go.
All this seems spot on, especially the bolded.

Reactions: sunstersun

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007

He Has The Injury That Young Men Who Have Taken A Certain Vax Are Susceptible To That Must Not Be Discussed.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Interesting. The reasoning for matching Nylander makes sense, and signing Marner without a NMC is the only way I would even consider it but I have a strong preference for moving him right away. If he's a 5 million dollar player in the playoffs, I don't want to be stuck with him for a minute longer than I have to be.

All this seems spot on, especially the bolded.
It’s more than just money for me as well. It’s a big part, but there is more for me.

This is just my opinion, no one else’s but I just don’t like the aura that surrounds him. He’s moody, pouty, frustrated hound dog face, combative with the media when things don’t go his way which is immature and entitled in my opinion.
I’m sure he’s a good guy to his teammates but just not something I want building a team fighting/scratching/pounding to win a Cup.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s more than just money for me as well. It’s a big part, but there is more for me.

This is just my opinion, no one else’s but I just don’t like the aura that surrounds him. He’s moody, pouty, frustrated hound dog face, combative with the media when things don’t go his way which is immature and entitled in my opinion.
I’m sure he’s a good guy to his teammates but just not something I want building a team fighting/scratching/pounding to win a Cup.
Don't be too sure.

Reactions: egd27 and socko

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
marner 1 goal and 2 assists in 6 gp this years playoffs vs bruins at 11 mil caphit

James Van Reimsdyk 1 goal and 3 assists in 6 gp this years playoffs vs leafs at 1 millio caphit

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
That Mirtle soundbyte is pretty crazy, he better be prepared to back it up with evidence or walk it back. Paul and his bot army won't be pleased lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
So basically nobody want Marner

Marner at 7-8 mill works but Marner at 11-12 is a recipe for disaster
You can't pay a small winger with no real asset other than he backchecks hard and has "good hockey IQ" but not strong elsewhere.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Friedman stated the same thing, but expects Marner still to be traded, because if the leafs tell him they won't re-sign him, he loses the 8th year.
Jonas & Mirtle both more or less confirmed that he was open to moving last summer, even as the NMC kicked in. I do wonder how much of that equation has changed this summer, and frankly, how much of a prick Ferris is prepared to be for a client that clearly needs a change of scenery.

This situation seems different than your typical guy playing out his contract.
If the Leafs are willing I think Marner will lock in before reaching UFA.
We just don't know where this is going to go, but I do wonder what appetite the team has to resign him - in a hypothetical world, getting out from under Tavares' $11m probably means you could, at least on paper, spend on a Marner extension, but what belief do you have that this guy can punch through?

Ultimately, I believe extending him at the right price is the much better play than losing him for nothing - I've never believed in the idea that $10.9M in cap space is this super valuable thing, because you still need to spend it, and that nets you another Klingberg and Bertuzzi.

Was this team one Klingberg and one more Bertuzzi away from doing anything in the post-season? Absolutely not.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I claim that would be a mistake. He is not Matthews and his skating is not going to get better IMO.
A mistake for whom?
You better believe that if he hits the open market, he's going to have a ton of takers and teams willing to splash big on him.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Yeah I don’t care about his gods comment like some do. That was just Marner being dumb with the media as usual. I just dislike his game and general attitude altogether. If he played like Brayden Point for example, my opinion of him would be vastly different.

Some of his defenders on here just immediately assume that people are “haters” for no apparent reason.

A mistake for whom?
You better believe that if he hits the open market, he's going to have a ton of takers and teams willing to splash big on him.

Would be a massive mistake to bring him back again. His time has run out. Arguably before this year too.

Reactions: myleafs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah I don’t care about his gods comment like some do. That was just Marner being dumb with the media as usual. I just dislike his game and general attitude altogether. If he played like Brayden Point for example, my opinion of him would be vastly different.

Some of his defenders on here just immediately assume that people are “haters” for no apparent reason.

Would be a massive mistake to bring him back again. His time has run out. Arguably before this year too.
+1

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Jonas & Mirtle both more or less confirmed that he was open to moving last summer, even as the NMC kicked in. I do wonder how much of that equation has changed this summer, and frankly, how much of a prick Ferris is prepared to be for a client that clearly needs a change of scenery.

We just don't know where this is going to go, but I do wonder what appetite the team has to resign him - in a hypothetical world, getting out from under Tavares' $11m probably means you could, at least on paper, spend on a Marner extension, but what belief do you have that this guy can punch through?

Ultimately, I believe extending him at the right price is the much better play than losing him for nothing - I've never believed in the idea that $10.9M in cap space is this super valuable thing, because you still need to spend it, and that nets you another Klingberg and Bertuzzi.

Was this team one Klingberg and one more Bertuzzi away from doing anything in the post-season? Absolutely not.
Perhaps. The cap space is extremely valuable is where I'd strongly disagree.

Was this team another: Domi + McCabe + Benoit + DeWar from winning that round? Absolutely. We'd still have money to spare.

Marner has to go. I can't stress enough how unacceptable his performance was for his pay rate. The argument to keep Mitch is he is a point production machine but apparently not in the playoffs. He is well below Pasta's skill level. We cannot have an "assistant captain" playing and acting like this. Dodging interviews after a game 7 loss, dodging checks, but cashing cheques.

Reactions: OddyOh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad