Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
This situation is really tough. Hopefully all parties try to work together otherwise it could be a lose-lose for all

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Your plan is sound except it was reported that his agent doesn’t negotiate and has his client go right to UFA. That’s why Marner didn’t have a deal before he hit RFA. He goes right to the end. Tell him now he’s not in the plans. If he doesn’t care, let him walk.
Letting him walk isn’t the end of the world, but sure would be nice to recoup something for him……..

22 million free next year.
I call 20 million, JT resigns for 2 mil for two years, solidifies the bottom centre position either 3rd or 4th line depending on how far he regresses……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yzerman took 14 years to win.
Wow, more than halfway there, guess 2028 is the year……….

Surprise!

I guess he wants to embarrass himself one more time at least in the playoffs before getting his big pay day somewhere else.

Whatever.

I’m over the core 4 era at this point. I know Nylander and Matthews are signed long term but I only care about the guys coming up in the system like Knies, Cowan, Robertson and Woll. I’m not excited to watch the same 4 idiots including Rielly crap the bed in April. I actually wasn’t even that excited to watch the playoffs this year tbh because everyone knew they would f***ing blow it against the Bruins for the nth time.

The sooner we get rid of them, the sooner my enthusiasm for watching hockey will come back. As of right now, next year is a throwaway for me. I look forward to the future and a day where I don’t have to hear the names Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Rielly. Nylander I have more patience for because the dude actually shows up when you need him.
THIS……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Matthews, Marner and Nylander could very well be Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov.

But the flip side of historical comparisons is they could also be Spezza, Heatley/Hossa and Alfredsson or Thornton/Marleau.
Perspective………

Reactions: Maple Leaf

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think there is something to Hyman going to the Oilers beyond just money. Thinking Dubas low balled him or minimizes his contributions trying to bring down his asking price. 5 million per year for him is a steal right now.

Too bad we couldn't afford him because Marner massive demands. I said it shortly after Marner signed. A presedence was set by Marner... now every good young player on this team is going to go looking for the highest bidder. Why would anyone want to take less money then their market value? Knowing full well that Marner they had to do it because Marner is greedy.

I'm sure this is what happened with

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They’ve done that. They need players that can carry the core.

Easier to find complimentary players than stars. Just have to keep searching until it clicks. Seems worse having guys fight for the puck get it and then can’t do anything with it anyway.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They’ve done that. They need players that can carry the core.
Nah, just need to replace the core, it’s the only change that hasn’t happened yet………..

Biggest takeaway from this off season is it appears the Ignore list is thankfully unlimited.
1716567656979.jpeg

Reactions: GoonieFace

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Chelios, Datsuk, Shanahan, that team was stacked………
And don’t forget before Yzerman “figured it out” they traded 3rd overall pick Primeau.

So its more apt to say Matthews is Yzerman and Marner is Primeau.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
And don’t forget before Yzerman “figured it out” they traded 3rd overall pick Primeau.

So its more apt to say Matthews is Yzerman and Marner is Primeau.
Who was Primeau traded for, somone off the Flyers?

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I think there is something to Hyman going to the Oilers beyond just money. Thinking Dubas low balled him or minimizes his contributions trying to bring down his asking price. 5 million per year for him is a steal right now.

Too bad we couldn't afford him because Marner massive demands. I said it shortly after Marner signed. A presedence was set by Marner... now every good young player on this team is going to go looking for the highest bidder. Why would anyone want to take less money then their market value? Knowing full well that Marner they had to do it because Marner is greedy.

I'm sure this is what happened with Hyman.
We can overpay Marner (in the sense people blame his contract) and have our cake and eat it too (Hyman).

Dubas is just an idiot.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
IMO what started the ball rolling was giving JT the $11M to begin with.

Agreed - I get the idea of wanting a big 1-2 punch at center, but signing JT to 11 million on a team where 1 to 3 players were about to surpass him set the bar in all the wrong ways.

And I don’t care about the UFA vs RFA or SJ supposedly was dumb enough to offer him more excuses, either.

Compounding the problem with “mentors” like Thornton and Marleau is just mind boggling management.

Reactions: egd27

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Matthews, Marner and Nylander could very well be Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov.

But the flip side of historical comparisons is they could also be Spezza, Heatley/Hossa and Alfredsson or Thornton/Marleau.
All those guys have made it to the final before. The real historical comparsion is Marcel Dionne.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
According to Pierre Lebrun, Marner has no intention of submitting a limited trade list and intends to play out the final year of his contract in Toronto.

Treliving's hands may be tied in this case.
Please quote the exact excerpt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad