Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree with the deal not making sense now, but this is the pipe dream of a deal we would want pre-draft

Also bringing up the playoffs is sort of irrelevant for two reasons. Firstly, Keller played years ago, as the #1 option on a team as crappy as Arizona (and still is) and was around what Marner gives us. Put him besides Matthews and maybe his numbers sky rocket to 100 or maybe they stay the same. Secondly, Marner isn’t some extremely irreplaceable piece in the playoffs, I’m pretty confident most star wingers in the league can replicate and outproduce marners offence, including Keller.

This isn’t even factoring in we get another top 6 caliber player in guenther who could contribute right away.

I don’t care about whether Marner is traded or not. I’m not attached to him in that way. I’m personally good with him being traded. What I can’t understand is calling Marner soft and small and then people sucking off Keller who is like 5’9 and a buck 75. Who is also a small player who’s scared of contact and cheats for breakaways. Thinking he’s gonna be any better in the playoffs. The same people who hate Marner’s game would rip their faces off watching Keller. That’s all I’m saying.

Maybe pre-draft that trade is better because then we can utilize the cap space in free agency. But post draft/UFA that deal makes no sense for either side.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t care about whether Marner is traded or not. I’m not attached to him in that way. I’m personally good with him being traded. What I can’t understand is calling Marner soft and small and then people sucking off Keller who is like 5’9 and a buck 75. Who is also a small player who’s scared of contact and cheats for breakaways. Thinking he’s gonna be any better in the playoffs. The same people who hate Marner’s game would rip their faces off watching Keller. That’s all I’m saying.

Maybe pre-draft that trade is better because then we can utilize the cap space in free agency. But post draft/UFA that deal makes no sense for either side.
You are getting him for 5m less and getting a 21 year old who is about to break out and you dump Marner. What do you not get? We can trade Keller if he sucks in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I decided to add to my post and see if I cant get @Hellcat to respond and enlighten us on why the stats/info I posted are improperly being used; Which he said.. but apparently his explanation on why they were used incorrectly was inadvertedly deleted when he posted.

If we are really lucky ... he's going to post a picture of his chiseled body too! Since apparently it has some relevance to this message board.

Stop your lieing, I didnt delete anything.
Dont want this to get missed by anyone in this thread. @Hellcat

I post research and stats regarding Marner and ask Hellcat to respond to the stats (bolded in my post)....and Hellcats response was "have you ever played the game"

Lol..well I guess this is an improvement to hearing how much he works out.

Okay.. ill play along.

@Hellcat No, no.. your right I know nothing about what Im posting. Your so smart and have an incredible body... please enlighten us.

Can you explain in detail what I'm posting and how its incorrectly being used? Also please provide a bunch of stats and information on why Matthews, Tavares and Nylander deserve the same criticism as Marner.

ps..Maybe add a photo of your ripped body too, so everyone can use it to visualize your incredible knowlege of the Leafs.

Understanding if you played the game would help me understand why you have such a poor grasp of hockey fundamentals. It's all about context, something your premise has lacked from day one. You are posting all these useless stats but at the end of the day he is a POINT PER GAME forward over the last THREE PLAYOFFS... from a production standpoint the Boston series was poor. He was also was coming back from a high ankle sprain, for a shifty player who relies on his edges that is not an insignificant point. If you played the game you'd understand this. then you talk about his speed, there is more than one way to get down the ice effectively, considering he is top 10 in points since he entered the league, his lack of blazing speed is not holding him back, if you played the game you'd understand that a puck moves faster than any player can skate, if you played the game you'd understand this. Which are ALL points I've made a bunch of times but you continue to post stats without having the slightest clue that those stats are a player who is a POINT PER GAME OVER THE LAST THREE PLAYOFFS and well above a POINT PER GAME during the regular season... you dont make sense.

If you want a picture of my ripped body ask your wife. :P

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Keefe was simply out matched. Problem is the same analytics department that was telling Keefe how to manage is going to be telling Chief how to manage.

Maybe Chief is a stronger personality and will do his thing, vs allowing others to influence him. There has to be accountability on the individual players too.
What analytics do you think are leading them astray?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That money could have got you Montour or Roy over OEL. Tell me me we are not better than we are today with that Marner trade and one of those two dmen.

Except you actually have to want players who want to come here. Roy was never coming here. Debrusk just did an interview, he was never playing for the leafs. Stamkos rejected the leafs. The options were very few and inbetween. Montour was probably the only guy we had a shot at if we had the extra cap.

EDIT* Montour put out a statement this week saying he got an offer from the leafs and rejected it. So yeah, not a lot of players were interested in coming here.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Except you actually have to want players who want to come here. Roy was never coming here. Debrusk just did an interview, he was never playing for the leafs. Stamkos rejected the leafs. The options were very few and inbetween. Montour was probably the only guy we had a shot at if we had the extra cap.

EDIT* Montour put out a statement this week saying he got an offer from the leafs and rejected it. So yeah, not a lot of players were interested in coming here.
What statement did he put out? And why would he feel the need to put out a statement? He had said earlier in the week that he had some talks with the Leafs (and other teams) but nothing about a contract being offered or rejected.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022

I think we dodged a bullet. At $5 million his is value, at $7 million he is an anchor. Given the state of our defense going into free agency I think Tanev + OEL is a better deal than a Marlie on defence and Montour or Roy.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

Not a single player plays like Marner in this league

I don’t give a shit about those low lights, everyone has those, nylander bails on plays, Matthews gets lost in position, Tavares trying to play hockey is a low light.

My issue with him is that Marner plays at the point 70% of the time. He never is gonna generate anything from there. I’d rather he play the boards completely with the curl backs and behind the net as most scared players do, Marner doesn’t even engage down low every time, he’s content playing F3 and floating shots or passing down low to others to make the plays happen.

Marner is one of a kind in his playstyle, he thinks he’s a cale Makar or Quinn Hughes, no one else plays like him.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What statement did he put out? And why would he feel the need to put out a statement? He had said earlier in the week that he had some talks with the Leafs (and other teams) but nothing about a contract being offered or rejected.
He didn't put out a statement. He talked about it when he was interviewd on Overdrive.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What is funny is some do not see how Keller + Guenther for Marner + Topi makes us a better team. If only the owner of the Yeti or better yet his wife was in love with Marner as some of his fanboys are.
...oh I know.. a few years ago it was LOL Marner is way better than Tkatchuk, Eichel, Kucherov and Panarin. Most of this nonsense has died down now. Coming to the realization that the select group of posters are on Marners staff in some capacity. Judging by the reports from the media of being harrassed and the screenshots of Rocket Security on Instagram.... if they are this active elsewhere, they are definitely here too. One being a member with a specific former Leaf arena name, who loves creating threads about Marner.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He didn't put out a statement. He talked about it when he was interviewd on Overdrive.

Yes, as I mentioned he had some talks with the Leafs ( that is what I am saying) I was asking about a statement he put out? Saying he turned down a contract from the Leafs. Which of course there isn't one.

Reactions: al secord

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
...oh I know.. a few years ago it was LOL Marner is way better than Tkatchuk, Eichel, Kucherov and Panarin. Most of this nonsense has died down now. Coming to the realization that the select group of posters are on Marners staff in some capacity. Judging by the reports from the media of being harrassed and the screenshots of Rocket Security on Instagram.... if they are this active elsewhere, they are definitely here too. One being a member with a specific former Leaf arena name, who loves creating threads about Marner.

Conspiracy theories are really trendy right now but I think we are over representing our stature to say someone would be a paid staff member here explicitly to influence us. What would be gained by that?
They might as well have guys sitting at bars chatting him up to some drunks.
Not to mention surely it'd come up in one of their strategy meetings that their efforts here seem to be instigating more vitriol towards their client?

• Haha
Reactions: Petrus and ACC1224

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think we dodged a bullet. At $5 million his is value, at $7 million he is an anchor. Given the state of our defense going into free agency I think Tanev + OEL is a better deal than a Marlie on defence and Montour or Roy.

Agreed. I think that Montour contract is gonna be a tough one as he ages

No one on here is being paid by Mitch Marner. And if they are hopefully they are securing the bag lmao

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Agreed. I think that Montour contract is gonna be a tough one as he ages

No one on here is being paid by Mitch Marner. And if they are hopefully they are securing the bag lmao
People are getting paid from Marner. Whether here, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram or some other platform. Times are tough so rocket security or whoever it might be if you want me to defend Marner let me know what you pay.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
People are getting paid from Marner. Whether here, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram or some other platform. Times are tough so rocket security or whoever it might be if you want me to defend Marner let me know what you pay.

I understand Twitter, Instagram and Reddit. I just don’t think hf boards is on the same level as those platforms. It’s very niche. But I’d also like to be paid by rocket security.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
You have the audacity to call me delusional yet you think where you are selected in a gimmick all star games means anything. LMAO this place is bat shit crazy. I think this might be the post that does it in for me.
Interesting tactics, deflect and attack, the poster just gave you clear stats and here you are clinging to some irrelevant comment about all star game.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Marner gets a little too much hate in here. The guy leads the Leafs in playoff points since he's been in the league. Plays PK. Was nominated for a Selke as a winger. Great with takeaways. Top 2 in points for the Leafs every year when he's not injured. If he was making 8 million a year, people here would be saying how much of he steal he is. Pay the man 12 and save money on Tavares contract when it comes up. Marner is at least above PPG every year he plays. Tavares just had 65 points in 80 games. Costing 11 million. Thats the guy who should be taking a pay cut or walking.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes, as I mentioned he had some talks with the Leafs ( that is what I am saying) I was asking about a statement he put out? Saying he turned down a contract from the Leafs. Which of course there isn't one.

Mark Rowe basically just put him on the spot and Montour just threw up a bunch of athlete cliches about agents and considering this and that. But of course we all have to feel rejected about something even though we got his teammate OEL.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
I decided to add to my post and see if I cant get @Hellcat to respond and enlighten us on why the stats/info I posted are improperly being used; Which he said.. but apparently his explanation on why they were used incorrectly was inadvertedly deleted when he posted.

If we are really lucky ... he's going to post a picture of his chiseled body too! Since apparently it has some relevance to this message board.
His buddy francis has already responded with double deflection. No worries, man, we all see the numbers, it’s just that there are some luddites/marnerites who ignore them on purpose cause there are no arguments against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad