Value of: Mitch marner in off season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
I really believe it’s time to retool the core. I’m not saying marner is the reason the leafs are struggling we all can see where the issues are. But to solve those issues we need cap room and players that play a stronger game with a bit of a mean streak. Marner to me is the one that has enough value to give leads a great return along with the cap space needed to retool. I know he is better then nylander by long shot. But I would rather the extra cap space and assets he would return over the cap space and assets nylander would bring back.

So would love to hear what people think is an honest value and to what teams

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
And yes you can tell I’m frustrated with this team right now. As a fan of of over 45 years just once in my life time can I see the leafs win a cup. Time to do what ever is needed

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There are two types of teams: Those with internal caps, and those at the maximum cap limit. Marner doesn’t work for either of those teams.

His contract is front loaded, he's owed like $16 million for his final three years in actual cash after July 1st. Less than $6 million a year for a 90+ point player in his prime, it definitely works for teams with internal caps.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Talented player, but no chance I would wrap that much cap space up in a winger.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Gretzky at 18M would have alot of teams say no.
Leafs are best to keep him anyway. He's too good.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I still think Tkachuk for Marner would be a good base from a value perspective, though the Flames don't have as much of an imbalance with their RHS and LHS forwards now that they have added Tofolli.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'd take him on the Sens for purely futures (no Sanderson) at his full cap hit.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I would expect a three quarters for a dollar type trade, similar to the Eichel return. Tuch+Krebs+1st.

LA seems to be the most likely landing spot if he were traded. Rapport with Blake, out of conference, lots of cap space and need to bridge the age gap between the Kopitar generation and the Byfield generation.

Something like Kempe/Iafallo+Turcotte/Kaliyev+1st as a base

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
If the Leafs lose in the first round again (which is very likely considering that they'll have to go through Florida/Tampa), then yeah, something needs to give, and Marner is the most obvious one. Matthews and Nylander are worth their cap hits. Tavares has an NMC and is unmovable anyway.

Not saying that Marner is the problem, but he hasn't proven to be part of the solution either. Overall, this will be just another example of how heinous the current playoff structure is. I want to see the Leafs fail as much as anybody else, but it's way less satisfying to see them bopped in the first round when they're being forced to play a top three team in the league.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
In no way should the Leafs ever entertain trading Marner. He is the engine that drives the team. Every single team in the NHL wants a Marner.

So what's the solution?

The Leafs have been losing in the first round because they have no cap space to bolster their roster. Seems like insanity to continue doing the same thing every year.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad