Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I disagree.

The second that Dubas paid our 40G 75P guy 11.634M, how can you expect that our 25G 95P guy to get anything less than 10.5???
Centre drafted #1 overall vs a winger drafted 4th overall, whose stats were boosted tremendously by Tavares having a career year!

$8.0M to $9.0M should have been enough to account for all the primary assists. If he had scored 40 goals himself, then, he might have been worth over $10.0M. JMHO.

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Overpaid.

Not impressed with him much this year. We paid 4 guys to be on EVERY NIGHT which is why half the cap is in these 4 guys. As such, they need to make a difference that makes up for the rest of the team's flaws night in and night out.

If they can't do that then they were overpaid.

Looks like they can't do that.

So over paid.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What you're saying holds merit, but not when you apply the term. The shorter contracts are essentially "More money sooner contracts".

This is a hard cap league. Just because Southern USA and some small market teams cant make $ for profit does not in any way have an effect on the fact that we have our stadium sold out until 2090.
This also comes hand in hand why Southern USA teams always get that gamebreaking PP, and in Toronto we get none. We get penalized actually.

They get paid regardless whether we are at the bottom or at the top. But Tampa, you give them the exact Ref treatment we have seen the past few weeks. It will mean noone even shows up to a hockey game, and even less people buying merch. Nascar tailgates are going to be selling huge suddenly. :laugh:

Only MLSE can keep getting bent over and stomped on by the USA where I bet we are 30 - 40 % of the $$$$
Bottom line hockey is a religion in Toronto. People can't wait to give up their $$$ to Leafs every year in advance. Tampa has to go after people to get sponsorship's and tickets. Kinda like baseball here. If Jays are good team they will get the $$$ somehow. But even with a very good team in Tampa they still have to fight for $$$. and they still giveaway cheap tickets when you go out for dinner and get tickets on discount. There is just not enough Canadians down there right now. In a month or two it will get better for them.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Centre drafted #1 overall vs a winger drafted 4th overall, whose stats were boosted tremendously by Tavares having a career year!

$8.0M to $9.0M should have been enough to account for all the primary assists. If he had scored 40 goals himself, then, he might have been worth over $10.0M. JMHO.
Only if he had scored 40 goals would he even been worth over

Nylander got paid 7M by scoring 20G and 61P with Auston Matthews is considered a good contract by some (you included?)

But Nylander who scored 26G and 94P is an 8-9M player? Thats it? Really?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I didn't say I liked the AAV, but its justified given what Matthews received.

Tell me, how many points does Marner have to score to make you stop your belly aching?

I'll gladly eat my words (something you seem incapable of doing) if he lives up to his contract. But I'm sure as hell not going to sugar coat his play and continue to make excuses for him and the coach

Reactions: Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nylander got paid 7M by scoring 20G and 61P with Auston Matthews is considered a good contract by some (you included?)

But Nylander who scored 26G and 94P is an 8-9M player? Thats it? Really?
All three of the Me Three are overpaid IMHO.

Win a round or 2, then, and only then do we talk big contracts. Not only are they all overpaid, none of them were signed to FULL TERM contracts with those overpayments.

JMHO.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'll gladly eat my words (something you seem incapable of doing) if he lives up to his contract. But I'm sure as hell not going to sugar coat his play and continue to make excuses for him and the coach
Me too. As of this day, none of the Me Three are earning those overpayments.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

You didn't answer my question... but okay...

Reactions: Stamkos4life

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Tell me, how many points does Marner have to score to make you stop your belly aching?
Everyone with half a clue knew the over payments were coming right after Willie won his battle. Then Matthews is given the world, I mean getting all bent out of shape about Marner, what did you actually expect? I called it at the time, he was getting double digits, the moment Dubas got scared about Matthews getting offer sheeted and subsequently over paid with no term. Marner gave up another year and less AAV, it sort of fits, not with the league salaries, but the internal precedent Dubas set. It’s fascinating to me how people can’t lay any blame with Dubas, yet have this critical eye everywhere else, it’s just crap analysis to be honest. Dubas blew the big 3, period.

Apologists in 1, 2, 3.....

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Needs to either play a strong role in winning the cup or he needs to lead the league in scoring.

Those are the two conditions that would justify his contract.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Needs to either play a strong role in winning the cup or he needs to lead the league in scoring.

Those are the two conditions that would justify his contract.

It sounds awefully demanding, considering that there are 6 other players currently paid higher than him, AND there will be more within the next 5 years of his contract.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It sounds awefully demanding, considering that there are 6 other players currently paid higher than him, AND there will be more within the next 5 years of his contract.

Ya it's almost as if I am expecting him to earn his ridiculous contract. How dare I?

Know what we will get to see? Better players paid much less win both those things I mentioned.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mitch will perform better once Hyman and Tavares get back. Mitch needs a guy to open up ice for him which Zach does. and Tavares give him a finisher. He is overpaid relative to the NHL CAP and his peers. But everyone's numbers always look better when they play with guys who compliment them. But now that we have paid him he needs to be played so he gets 100+ points.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
8th in league scoring and not even playing up to his potential. That's scary. This kid will eclipse 100 points, maybe multiple times in his career. The only current leaf I can honestly say that about.

Not a fan of his contract but at least he is producing, and he is doing it without jt.

Reactions: DarkKnight

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Ya it's almost as if I am expecting him to earn his ridiculous contract. How dare I?

Know what we will get to see? Better players paid much less win both those things I mentioned.

If this is your standard for Marner, I'm scared to hear your standards for Matthews and Tavares.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
If this is your standard for Marner, I'm scared to hear your standards for Matthews and Tavares.

Pretty much the same damn thing.

Guess there is a certain amount of expectations when you feel you deserve that much money?

For Tavares? It's lead us to a cup.

For Matthews? Cup or win a goal scoring title.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Not always about points. When you get paid superstar money you need to look like a superstar. On too many nights Mitch has not.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not always about points. When you get paid superstar money you need to look like a superstar. On too many nights Mitch has not.

Not always about points, sure... but name the last "Non-Superstar" that scored 100 points... Okay, Marner hasn't scored 100 points yet, I'll let you name one that scored 94.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Not always about points, sure... but name the last "Non-Superstar" that scored 100 points... Okay, Marner hasn't scored 100 points yet, I'll let you name one that scored 94.
I agree. I think Mitch is one. When he's on though he controls play. Hasn't looked like one on too many nights this season. Neither has AM or JT before his injury.
They need to be.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He competes harder than Matthews on a consistent basis, he’s noticeable, sometimes in a bad way of late, but he’s always trying. That matters to me.

I feel like in order to justify his money he has to be flat out sublime more nights than not and not simply “trying.”

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad