Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
8th in league scoring and not even playing up to his potential. That's scary. This kid will eclipse 100 points, maybe multiple times in his career. The only current leaf I can honestly say that about.

Not a fan of his contract but at least he is producing, and he is doing it without jt.
It is funny, he’s been absolutely brutal then you go look at team scoring. Only Marner could be so off and be on a hundred point pace, what a bum ;)

Reactions: Stamkos4life

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I didn't say I liked the AAV, but its justified given what Matthews received.

Tell me, how many points does Marner have to score to make you stop your belly aching?
It's not about the assists. He has to dominate games. I want to see his line in the ozone most of the night. At the end of the game I want to say damn Marner played a good game. I want Marner to do what Bostons stars do to our stars. Had he left money on the table I wouldn't have these expectations.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
8th in league scoring and not even playing up to his potential. That's scary. This kid will eclipse 100 points, maybe multiple times in his career. The only current leaf I can honestly say that about.

Not a fan of his contract but at least he is producing, and he is doing it without jt.
The only positive thing is maybe his point totals will trick him into thinking he's doing well and give him enough confidence to stop playing like garbage. Other than that, there really aren't many positives we can draw from him getting lucky points. Any player can do that and then completely fall off the rest of the year

horner

May 22, 2007
The only positive thing is maybe his point totals will trick him into thinking he's doing well and give him enough confidence to stop playing like garbage. Other than that, there really aren't many positives we can draw from him getting lucky points. Any player can do that and then completely fall off the rest of the year

If these are all lucky points.

Why does Nylander not have these lucky points playing with the best goal scorer in the league?

Nylander has been getting #1 pp minutes since JT has been out.

Marner knows himself that he doesn't have his game going yet but to say these are lucky points is bullshit.

Man we love to distroy our own players.

horner

May 22, 2007
Centre drafted #1 overall vs a winger drafted 4th overall, whose stats were boosted tremendously by Tavares having a career year!

$8.0M to $9.0M should have been enough to account for all the primary assists. If he had scored 40 goals himself, then, he might have been worth over $10.0M. JMHO.

Mathews can score goals like last yr.
Doesn't know how toplay in the defensive end same as last yr.
Weak on he puck same as last yr.
Doesn't want to get involved physically at all , not even wanting to run a player out.
He is a big boy.

Mathews is no where close to McDavid talent wise , which he was using as his comparable.

I said at the time of the signing it was a mistake at that price 10.5 mil

The Marner would have signed for 9.5

They both got paid a mil to much .

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Nylander has not been able to that once in his career. Neither has kap/aj or matthews. Your willing to blame marner for everything and highlight what mistakes he makes but dont notice how poor 88/34 have played at times this year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If these are all lucky points.

Why does Nylander not have these lucky points playing with the best goal scorer in the league?

Nylander has been getting #1 pp minutes since JT has been out.

Marner knows himself that he doesn't have his game going yet but to say these are lucky points is bull****.

Man we love to distroy our own players.

Qell you sort of answered that question yourself. There is very little consistency in terms.of secondary assist production. 5 games is a short sample size - keep him there longer and his number of those would likely start to increase .

That said, dont disagree with your wider sentiment. Too much tribalism among this fanbase. Im not happy with Marner right now (and his contract lost some.good will) but folks should be fans of them both

Edit: typo

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I feel like in order to justify his money he has to be flat out sublime more nights than not and not simply “trying.”

And thats it.

He cant just get away with being a good 1st line player anymore, hes expected to be the best player on the ice every shift.

His play is picking up, but his underlying numbers were really subpar for the first 2/3 of the games so far. Hed get more slack if he was making less, but he demanded to be paid in the the top 1% of NHLers...

Reactions: m1ker

horner

May 22, 2007
Qell you sort of answered that question yourself. There is very little considtence in terms.of secondary assist production. 5 games is a short sample size - keep him there longer and his number of those would likely start to increase .

That said, dont disagree with your wider sentiment. Too much tribalism among this fanbase. Im not happy with Marner right now (and his contract lost some.good will) but folks should be fans of them both
I didn't say that I was happy with his play
Not happy with Mathews play
Not happy with Nylander a play
Not happy with Rielly's play

They all need to be better

But points are not luck

It takes someone to start the play and end it

They all just need to be committed.

horner

May 22, 2007
Nylander has not been able to that once in his career. Neither has kap/aj or matthews. Your willing to blame marner for everything and highlight what mistakes he makes but dont notice how poor 88/34 have played at times this year.
Thanks for staying the obvious

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Hes in the top 3.

And with that come top 3 expectations

Well, he's 1 point out of that, and sitting in 4th for wingers. Not too shabby for not playing great. .

9th in the NHL, but more about 15th with ppg.... either way, he isn't playing near of what we have seen, and still top 15 in the NHL.... Theres a positive somewhere in there.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
We all know what it looks like Marner dominates. We all know what it looks like when Matthews dominates.

Their numbers look good, but they're playing poorly when we need them to step up the most. Really disappointing.

Reactions: Al14

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Guess what folks? He really does need Tavares.

Apparently it's too much to ask for our $10.8M winger to carry a line in Tavares' absence. Un****ingreal.

Matthews was more than able to carry Kapanen and Marleau last year.
Really? What has JT done this year?

Reactions: DarkKnight

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
they even tried him with Matthews and they looked sooo bad together he really dragged down Matthews (not saying Matthews has been playing up to his potential but still)
Funny. Was waiting to see Matthews light it up without Marner last game up untilthe end of the game. Marner looked better with depth players than Matthews did with top 6

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It’s really amusing to me some of the same guys who were turning themselves into pretzels to make Willie seem passable last year are the same ones jumping all over Marner relentlessly. How can anyone take that seriously? I find it kind of pathetic to be honest. Geez, come on.

Reactions: MyBudJT and ACC1224

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Few players are over 90 point lucky across 82 games for over 150 games straight

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Funny how some defend Marners play by belittling other Leaf players. Can't even begin to admit he isn't playing well at all
I’ve said he’s looked disjointed and off his game. I said he was awful against Boston. Pay attention. Or just stay with irrelevant tangents. Whatever.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
It’s really amusing to me some of the same guys who were turning themselves into pretzels to make Willie seem passable last year are the same ones jumping all over Marner relentlessly. How can anyone take that seriously? I find it kind of pathetic to be honest. Geez, come on.
Some of the same guys citing recency bias after a killer 40 game run by Marner 2 years ago

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Some of the same guys citing recency bias after a killer 40 game run by Marner 2 years ago
Some really weird agendas. Mitch has had some real bad stretches, some moments. Nobody disputes that, it’s the zeal of some I don’t get, especially with what he’s shown us to date.

Reactions: MyBudJT

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Funny how some defend Marners play by belittling other Leaf players. Can't even begin to admit he isn't playing well at all

I think the thing for me isn't so much that he isn't playing well...it's his constant trying to do highlight reel plays...he is messing up chances on 2 on 1's because he is trying to squeeze in a pass when he could have shot. That's what bugs me...and as much as I hate the guy over his contract stuff...he is still much more engaged than AM is...AM looks like he could care less right now about anything and is trying to get Babs fired...he is doing the bare minimum...maybe it's because he is tired from not being used to playing so late into October..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad