Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think the point was there's a huge drop off from Tavares to AJ/Kap. Significant drop off.

Nothing to debate there. That's just a fact none of us can change.

If he didn't know all of Nylander, Marner and Matthews were coming up for new contracts within 2 years you might have a point

AustrianHockeyfan

Sep 7, 2015
Austria
We might have too much money spent in our forward core... 38 mill or so for 4 forwards. There is not much room left for our D. I think one of Tavares, Marner, Nylander or Matthews has to go soin.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
At the time of the Marleau signing Lou had tons of cap and he wanted a mentor for the kids. If he signed that deal now, I would say he was senile.

If he didn't know all of Nylander, Marner and Matthews were coming up for new contracts within 2 years you might have a point

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That's how she goes sometimes dude. If he didn't even hit 60 with JT, they'd say Dubas is an idiot and should be fired. You can't win. As long as they believe they are doing what's right for the team in the present and long-term I'm okay.

You can win if you make sound decisions.

Did you expect marner to get closer to 60 or 100 points playing with JT?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

The third year is where the Marleau contract is the issue. It cost us a first and is off the books. Yet here we are still in cap hell and we are not even talking about bringing Gards back. Lou has nothing to do with the predicament we are in unless the Z contract is an issue and the good thing is Z wants out and the Leafs want him out.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
We might have too much money spent in our forward core... 38 mill or so for 4 forwards. There is not much room left for our D. I think one of Tavares, Marner, Nylander or Matthews has to go soin.

I think people need to accept our team will always be like this. We've decided that skilled forwards are the way to go.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If he was as smart as he thinks he is then he would have given him that contract. Even the average fan could see that Marner would have a monster year playing alongside Tavares. It's not rocket appliance.
I know he had to get Nylander first but even Nylander @ 8/8, Marner 9/8, and Matthews @ $13/8 is better then Nylander 7m/6, Matthews 11.6/5, Marner 11.5/5. Look at all that extra term for the same price.

Exactly. This really is worst case Ontario.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Some people are just too invested in this. They came up with the offer sheet compensation rules for a reason. There's literally no way the team can lose whether it's a trade, an OS or he stays. As much as I like the player, I like the team far more and in the end he's just a valuable asset. And guess what? His negotiating team is clearly approaching it the same way.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's duplicitous to point out the first 30 games of the season that seem to have magically disappeared?

So if somebody cherry picks the last 50 games and ignored the first 30 games would that person be duplicitous as well?
I’ll take the last 132 games, you go back in history to the fall of 2017 and judge a kid the coach was trying to get to play a 200 ft game. Geezus dude.

Comical.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Your duplicity knows no bounds. So transparent.

What, that I think players should be based on ctual comparables? Felt the same position on Matthew's, Kapanen, Johnsson and Nylander as I now do with Marner.

There were zero comparables tha justify giving him 9 mil a year after last sesson. The only way you're able to do is by pretending the first 35% of the previous season didnt happen and you have the nerve to accuse me of having transparency issues lol? Come on

Reactions: Kiwi

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What, that I think players should be based on ctual comparables? Felt the same position on Matthew's, Kapanen, Johnsson and Nylander as I now do with Marner.

There were zero comparables tha justify giving him 9 mil a year after last sesson. The only way you're able to do is by pretending the first 35% of the previous season didnt happen and you have the nerve to accuse me of having transparency issues lol? Come on
Full time nothingness. Enjoy.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It's duplicitous to point out the first 30 games of the season that seem to have magically disappeared?

So if somebody cherry picks the last 50 games and ignored the first 30 games would that person be duplicitous as well?

Context is important... nothing wrong with sub sampling a season, especially if used in the proper context.

Do you expect a 21 year old to improve from October to April? OF COURSE YOU DO!

Its perfectly fine to take the latter sample IMO, and its not cherry picking if you're clear what you're describing. Marner in April 2018 was a completely different player than Marner in October 2017. It doesn't make sense to use data from way back in October when evaluating how goood marner was... Last season, it was pretty obvious there was a really good chance of Marner scoring more than 90 points... and he did it!

Reactions: DarkKnight

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'm not sure how many teams are willing to sacrifice 11+ million in cap space + 4 first rounders for Marner. Its a tough pill to swallow.

I think he'll circle back to the Leafs and they'll settle around 9.5-10 million a year for 6 years IMO. At least I hope lol

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Context is important... nothing wrong with sub sampling a season, especially if used in the proper context.

Do you expect a 21 year old to improve from October to April? OF COURSE YOU DO!

Its perfectly fine to take the latter sample IMO, and its not cherry picking if you're clear what you're describing. Marner in April 2018 was a completely different player than Marner in October 2017. It doesn't make sense to use data from way back in October when evaluating how goood marner was... Last season, it was pretty obvious there was a really good chance of Marner scoring more than 90 points... and he did it!

You can't cut the first 30 games of the season off though, there is no way Marner was worth 9M before last season started by any comparable you care to find, calling someone names because they point that out is just bad

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I'm not going to go and do the research for someone who has absolutely no clue how the cap system works.

Not worth my time to try to teach you something, go read up and learn something.

So in other words, you don't have any evidence that 3 of the most expensive contracts in the league can win in a hard cap system.

Thanks for admitting it.

Takes a big man to admit defeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad