Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I don't think so but he really isn't helping out the cause for russian stereotypes.

He dogged it a lot on the ice in London last year. A lot of their fans were really hoping Buffalo wouldn't return him to start the year out.

Seems that way.

Too bad more talented high end Russian players don't take a page from Ovi and how he competes and passion for the game....

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Looks like Erik Johnson is out as well. 3-8 weeks.
Guess that ends the playoff hopes for Colorado and Columbus.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Looks like Erik Johnson is out as well. 3-8 weeks.
Guess that ends the playoff hopes for Colorado and Columbus.

That is a really WIDE range. Usually you see 3-4, 4-6, 6-8. 3-8 is basically, he could play in 6 games or miss 2 months.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Assistant GM? Good lord. Not gonna work him up through scouting, huh?

We think Berube being handed a fairly high level coaching spot he didn't earn, and then working his way up solely because he's a part of the org is bad. Up-jumping Brodeur to assistant GM with no experience is worse. We may be stupid about making players coaches, but at least we made our former players follow a rational career arc when it comes to GM level stuff.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
FinalsWeek14.gif

We think Berube being handed a fairly high level coaching spot he didn't earn, and then working his way up solely because he's a part of the org is bad. Up-jumping Brodeur to assistant GM with no experience is worse. We may be stupid about making players coaches, but at least we made our former players follow a rational career arc when it comes to GM level stuff.
And even then, it kills me how they don't look for people with, you know, actual managerial expertise (ie, analytical ability, negotiation skills, business acumen, etc) for management roles...

It's like hiring a Apple genius bar guy to take a major management role at Apple. Only in sports is this an actual way of moving up the corporate latter.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

didn't the Rangers do that with Messier? I thought he was GM of their AHL team like Hextall was in LA

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I'd understand if the Devils, who he's been around his entire career, thought highly enough of him to move him right to that spot, but he's been with the Blues how long? Like 2 months?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'd understand if the Devils, who he's been around his entire career, thought highly enough of him to move him right to that spot, but he's been with the Blues how long? Like 2 months?

This. Brodeur was a Devil for life with the exception of a completely forgettable half-season. Why snub the team where your (probable) HOF career was entirely spent? Conversely, were I in the Devils FO, I'd want Brodeur back in the fold.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, I'm not surprised at him being handed a managerial spot on a silver platter (well, a tad bit at how there was no transition whatsoever) but I'm very surprised it's with the Blues instead of the Devils.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=750518&navid=nhl:topheads

Didn't see this posted in here, but if it has sorry for rehashing it...

Mike Richards cleared waivers today, will play in AHL.

Twenty-nine other teams could have taken the former Flyers captain and Selke Trophy runner-up but his hefty contract and underperformance make it difficult to justify.

Richards has five full seasons remaining on a 12-year contract extension that he signed with the Flyers in December 2007. His annual NHL salary-cap charge is $5.75 million, almost all of which will remain on the Kings' cap.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I still remember that my reaction when I first heard about that contract was that 12 years is a stupidly long time.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
There should be absolutely no way on earth the Jets lose to the Penguins tonight, but yet, they are currently losing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine