Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
would rather have leino than vinny that is for sure.

Rt0vHXcmEbnMs.gif

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
ovechkin_DL_012515ahonda.jpg

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=750289

COLUMBUS -- Even though he wasn't named MVP of the 2015 Honda NHL All-Star Game on Sunday night, Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin finally got his new car. He won't be keeping it for too long.
Ovechkin, who missed out on the car Friday night after famously lobbying to be picked last in the 2015 NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft Presented by Draft Kings, was given the key to new Honda after the game Sunday.

He is donating the new wheels to the Washington Ice Dogs Special Hockey program, which is based in Crofton, MD.

Ovechkin's connection with the Washington Ice Dogs program includes his friendship with Ann Schaub, a 10-year-old girl with Down Syndrome who went on a sushi dinner date with Ovechkin in September.

"It means a lot," Ovechkin told NHL.com. "Honda connected with my agent and they just gave me a car so I'm going to donate to [Washington Ice Dogs] and that sweet little girl."

Ovechkin's quiet plan all along was to win the car Friday night so he could donate it to Washington Ice Dogs. He told nobody and was going to announce it if he was indeed one of the last two picks in the draft. He was picked third to last in the draft.

The representatives from Honda were so intrigued by Ovechkin's intense lobbying at the fantasy draft that they contacted his agent, David Abrutyn, to learn more about it. As soon as Honda heard about Ovechkin's intentions they decided they would give him the car.

"The idea was if he doesn't win the [All-Star Game] MVP award let's see if there is something else we can do," said Nick Lee, the national advertising manager for Honda. "Once we learned there was a charitable component to it we thought how great is that? At Honda we do a lot of charitable efforts ourselves, tie it in with youth hockey, and Alex has got a nice couple of charities he works with so we thought that could be a nice angle and a great story for everybody. That's the capper for us. It's not just for him, it's also for his charity and the kids, ultimately."

Ovechkin said he came up with the idea to lobby for the car during lunch with his agent and a Capitals spokesperson Friday afternoon. He immediately said he would donate it to the Washington Ice Dogs.

"Knowing Ovi has a little bit of a personality we thought what could he do that would add a little bit of fun to the night?" Abrutyn said. "The idea was to do what he could to get the car and if it worked out he was going to reveal that he was going to give it to this [Washington Ice Dogs] organization. Knowing that youth hockey organizations, particularly one like that, probably could use a little help with transportation, moving the kids and their equipment around. With all the excitement of Friday night, credit to Honda in that when hearing what his true intentions were being a supporter of hockey in communities around the country as well as an NHL sponsor it was pretty clear to them that it would be a great idea to help out. A feel-good story on top of great weekend, and a surprise for everyone who thought Ovi was looking for a car for himself. He was really looking for a car to help out an organization that we suspect could probably use it."

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
You got to love the main boarders who are convinced that the Flyers will be hit with a recapture penalty if Richards retires prematurely.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You got to love the main boarders who are convinced that the Flyers will be hit with a recapture penalty if Richards retires prematurely.

ferraro even said it on tsn. Its weird how people who are paid to know about hockey don't know about hockey.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
ferraro even said it on tsn. Its weird how people who are paid to know about hockey don't know about hockey.

I can understand if Joe Toronto is uninformed about the matter, but an analyst on TV/radio ought to know. It's written clear as day in the CBA.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
a person that's been in hockey his entire life... doesn't know about hockey?

umm okay.

ferraro knows alot of hockey and i love him on tsn radio. He is great. But he is dead wrong about that, and his comments lead to a lot of the hfboards confusion. I am not a hockey expert and even I know this.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Roenick has been in hockey his whole life, and I loved him when he was here, and still ignorantly insists that Mason is one of the problems with the Flyers.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Roenick has been in hockey his whole life, and I loved him when he was here, and still ignorantly insists that Mason is one of the problems with the Flyers.

and he says the reason why cbj booed nash was because he signed with the rangers as a free agent. He said this twice over all star weekend.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia

For real? I didn't hear this...I know he ripped Mason in the offseason but what world is JR in after Mason has proved himself pretty consistently this season with his save percentage despite a pedestrian D corps and injuries he has no control over????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad