Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCV: Second Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who will be the 2023 Cup Champ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Never forget

FvK8hHZX0AEGOaA

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This team signed Kevin Hayes for 7 years instead of Pavelski because he was a “center”.
I don't think Pavelski had any intention of going east of the Mississippi.
Players do get to make these choices.

Toronto looked disinterested, i.e., the same old marshmallows they've been in the POs. We'll see if ROR can light a fire under them.

Seattle keeps rolling, must be their mega-talent.
Problem is they're not a young team and winning like this will make it harder to add talent going forward, both the draft and the waiver wire.
But guys like Gourde bring those "intangibles."

Eberle (32), Gourde (31), Schwartz (30), Tanev (31),
Larsson (30), Oleksiak (30), Schultz (32)
Under 25: Beniers (20), Tolvanen (23), Geekie (24), Kartve (20) [Wright (19)]

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Round 3 and 4 picks. 4 years on his contract at age 27.

Not having 50 contracts and spending over the cap turns out to have its benefits.

Friedman or Marek said that CBJ had a deal in place to trade him to another team, but that team kept dicking them around, which allowed Seattle to swoop in and nab him.

Reactions: Magua

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Gourde averages 50 points per 82 games in his career. Very tangible production.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Toronto looked disinterested, i.e., the same old marshmallows they've been in the POs. We'll see if ROR can light a fire under them.

Problem is they're not a young team and winning like this will make it harder to add talent going forward, both the draft and the waiver wire.

They only have $65M of contracts for next year, against a cap of probably $84-85M, and their full list of UFAs is Ryan Donato, Jesper Froden, Carson Soucy, Martin Jones, Joonas Donskoi, and John Hayden, most of whom I'm not sure I'd bother bringing back, Factoring in extensions for their RFAs, they probably have 8-9M available for upgrades on the FA/trade market. Also, I get why you used U25 as the cutoff for young talent, but Borgen, Dunn, McCann, and Sprong are all 26. Not the best situation in the world, but certainly not the worst.

Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Your hyperfocus on ROR is like you're satirizing yourself now.

Seattle has been outplayed pretty often for a team in the second round. Last night was no exception. Grubauer keeps outperforming opposing goalies.

Reactions: Starat327

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Seattle has been outplayed pretty often for a team in the second round. Last night was no exception. Grubauer keeps outperforming opposing goalies.
Ayup. If Seattle's going to keep winning, Gru has to be on point. The second he turns back into a pumpkin, they clean out their lockers.

To be fair, that's true for most teams at this point; only a few have the offensive talent to survive a complete goalie implosion.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Grubauer has been lights out, he's been reliable, but for example, that third goal was bad rebound control.

The team that's most likely to be let down are the Devils, b/c I can't see Schmid maintaining this level of play.
5th rd pick, USHL .890, .921, AHL (2yr) .909.
This year with NJ: .922 regular season, .951 playoffs.
Nothing in his history suggests he's an elite goalie prospect.

This isn't Devon Levi who after getting drafted in the 7th rd then blew everyone away a the WJC-20 (.961%, 6-1) and was the best NCAA goalie the last couple seasons.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think Grubauer has been lights out, he's been reliable, but for example, that third goal was bad rebound control.

The team that's most likely to be let down are the Devils, b/c I can't see Schmid maintaining this level of play.
5th rd pick, USHL .890, .921, AHL (2yr) .909.
This year with NJ: .922 regular season, .951 playoffs.
Nothing in his history suggests he's an elite goalie prospect.

This isn't Devon Levi who after getting drafted in the 7th rd then blew everyone away a the WJC-20 (.961%, 6-1) and was the best NCAA goalie the last couple seasons.

I didn't say he's been lights out. He's been outperforming opposing goalies. Their opponents have gotten bad goaltending so far.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What was torts reasoning of banning iPads?
He wanted players to focus on the game and their next shift, not get distracted by looking at their last shift. I think with a veteran team it wouldn't matter to him, but he wants the kids to keep their head in the game.

Reactions: flyerslducks

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Because watching Deslauriers fart around is more important to your next shift than reviewing a play or coverage on a tablet. There’s a reason most top guys are seen doing it, and it’s because they’re dissecting the game.

No one should be surprised that a fossil, who couldn’t create offense if offense was a horse and kicked him in the face, who doesn’t even put in the effort to coach his own team, would be incensed at the idea of dissecting the game. No, the Flyers special middle 6 players need to smell the game. Reviewing shifts and being engaged in the emotions of the game aren’t mutually exclusive. Only a dumbass outright bans something useful.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because watching Deslauriers fart around is more important to your next shift than reviewing a play or coverage on a tablet. There’s a reason most top guys are seen doing it, and it’s because they’re dissecting the game.

No one should be surprised that a fossil, who couldn’t create offense if offense was a horse and kicked him in the face, who doesn’t even put in the effort to coach his own team, would be incensed at the idea of dissecting the game. No, the Flyers special middle 6 players need to smell the game. Reviewing shifts and being engaged in the emotions of the game aren’t mutually exclusive. Only a dumbass outright bans something useful.
The top guys can do it b/c they have oddles of experience.
I doubt the kids assimilate information that fast, and it takes their head out of the game.
It's the kind of thing they should be doing between periods.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The top guys can do it b/c they have oddles of experience.
I doubt the kids assimilate information that fast, and it takes their head out of the game.
It's the kind of thing they should be doing between periods.

Plenty of young guys have played more than enough hockey in their lives to spot gaps in coverage with a birds eye view. How ridiculous.

If anything, if they don't have experience, one of the coaches should be on the tablet with them helping them vivisect the game whenever possible. Especially during commercial breaks, which are frequent. No need to wait until intermission when guys on the other team are definitely doing it, that only risks putting you behind the game. That requires actually coaching on an individual level, and communicating with young people, and Tortorella loudly and proudly hates doing both.

You have no understanding of Tortorella.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad