Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCII: A buyer's or seller's market?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The trade deadline will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I don't like asking these questions on the mainboard, because that place is just a cesspool

But let's say Connor hits 65/150

Does he have an argument for the greatest season of all time (adjusted for for era, of course)

I would say yes tbh. It would be comparable to Gretzky’s 82-86ish scoring peak. Same goes for 88-89 Lemieux. Once you’re in that territory, it’s personal preference.

I believe if you go by pure scoring adjusted for league average, the leader by a good bit is still Howie Morenz’s 28-29. That era was so different, I would understand counting it or not.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I wish someone from the future had told me in 2017 that an Edmonton-Buffalo game would be vastly better hockey than anything the Flyers were drooling out, after the Flyers had transformed into the worst-era Devils and Rangers. I could have saved a lot of effort by selling all my things and living the rest of my life in a sewer instead.

It’s worse though.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
These teams play like they hate the perimeter and would rather get in the middle. The Flyers play like they hate the middle of the ice and would rather be along the boards.

Probably by design. The Flyers suck so containing the onslaught is a necessity.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just being the math nerd that I am, I'd love to see the formula for era adjustment. But I honestly don't feel like getting my ass beat by @Appleyard

I often worry about these adjustments failing to take into account quality of teammates. But that's where the fun discussion comes in.

McDavid has a whole lot less around him than Gretzky. Probably less than 88 Lemieux too. Mario having Coffey still doing elite play driving and offense from the back is something McDavid has never come close to having. Would've really opened things up more on offense too.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't like asking these questions on the mainboard, because that place is just a cesspool

Does he have an argument for the greatest season of all time (adjusted for for era, of course)
Easily. Gretzky played against gym teachers.

A moderately intelligent dolphin could score on 80s goalies.

• Haha
Reactions: Sombastate

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That's a question only @Appleyard can answer

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, just like Mario. Gym teachers, I say!

Check out that 44 bum getting burned all the time. Bet that guy is pumping dodgeballs now.

1) that video is from a 1996 game, I was talking about the 80s because that’s when Gretzky had his highest scoring season.

2) Youre right, I was being unfair. I shouldn’t have compared gym teachers to those 80s NHL bums. There’s actually some gym teachers out there who are in pretty good shape, while 80s games look identical to present day alumni games. 70s are even worse.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
1) that video is from a 1996 game, I was talking about the 80s because that’s when Gretzky had his highest scoring season.

2) Youre right, I was being unfair. I shouldn’t have compared gym teachers to those 80s NHL bums. There’s actually some gym teachers out there who are in pretty good shape, while 80s games look identical to present day alumni games. 70s are even worse.
I love that you'll die on this hill.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

You do realize Gretzky played in the 1990s right?

In his final season he scored 63 points.

Is Gretzky's totals likely inflated compared to this generation? Probably. Most likely he'd still be #1 all time.

Reactions: chadateit

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You do realize Gretzky played in the 1990s right?

In his final season he scored 63 points.

Is Gretzky's totals likely inflated compared to this generation? Probably. Most likely he'd still be #1 all time.
Show me one player who was a point per game player in the 80s who has even scored at a 0.50 p/pg pace from 2020 onwards. One. Just one. Anyone at all.

They can’t keep up. The game is on a different level now.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Show me one player who was a point per game player in the 80s who has even scored at a 0.50 p/pg pace from 2020 onwards. One. Just one. Anyone at all.

They can’t keep up. The game is on a different level now.

Well.... all those guys have long been retired.

The game is also significantly softer so there's that.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad