Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCI: Bring Your Own Mustard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Could’ve paid less for tarasenko who can play with barzal…so does barzal or horvat move to the wing now?>

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Just about to mention this. Just have to laugh that he gave up the Horvat pick for a freaking goalie only to turn around a decade later and trade the few assets they have left for Horvat as a rental… a franchise without a prayer.
It just occurred to me that the goalie Lou acquired for the draft pick the Canucks used to select Horvat was Cory Schneider, who also happens to play in the Isles organization now thanks to Lou. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Would be awesome if the islanders finish right outside the playoffs, lose their first this year, and horvat doesn’t resign haha

Or the pick is moved to next year, horvat walks anyway, and the pick is a top 5 one haha

Honestly if I’m Vancouver I wouldn’t mind that pick rolling over to next year with no protection. More potential for things to get worse in NY given the age of that roster & cap situation with another year forward.

Lou has pushed all of his chips in at this point with a team that has no shot at winning/competing for cup. So I guess in that sense it doesn’t really matter but that potential Horvat contract whether there or elsewhere is gonna be ugly.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Honestly if I’m Vancouver I wouldn’t mind that pick rolling over to next year with no protection. More potential for things to get worse in NY given the age of that roster & cap situation with another year forward.

Lou has pushed all of his chips in at this point with a team that has no shot at winning/competing for cup. So I guess in that sense it doesn’t really matter but that potential Horvat contract whether there or elsewhere is gonna be ugly.
Ya either way it could work out for van. If it’s this year, it’s probably not going too low in a deep draft. I think Lou is going to make another move, he seems to want to all in.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I've seen people rate this a lose-lose trade, and I'm just not sure what they expected Horvat, a possible rental (oh baby, show me that contract extension, Lou!), to net. Vancouver got a potential top half 1st in this class (not a whole lot of rental trade partners offering a pick that high), they got perhaps the Isles best prospect in Raty, and a salary dump with some rebound flip potential.

Maybe I'm not knocked on my feet, but it seems totally fine value based on precedent. It's not like Horvat is even elite; I'm sure some teams understand what shooting % means. The Islanders are the ones who look like morons. But then I just remembered the Flyers gave up similar value to rent Risto, and now I want to power drill my brain.

The most weirdly maligned sub-generational prospect I've ever seen. Everyone was, is, and will be better than him. He's only the best u23 forward in the league -- top 5ish period, at age 21. Bit tangential, but perusing the main forum, I've seen Bedard/Hughes comparisons laughed at, like their potentials aren't even ballpark. I'm just confused how much better they think he'll be than a player whose value, according to Dom L., is pegged at $16 mil -- with only McDavid and Tkachuk (who I definitely wouldn't take over Hughes, let alone with their ages) valued higher. Is this heresy? To me, saying a player has $16MM value potential seems like the highest of high praise.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've seen people rate this a lose-lose trade, and I'm just not sure what they expected Horvat, a possible rental (oh baby, show me that contract extension, Lou!), to net. Vancouver got a potential top half 1st in this class (not a whole lot of rental trade partners offering a pick that high), they got perhaps the Isles best prospect in Raty, and a salary dump with some rebound flip potential.

Maybe I'm not knocked on my feet, but it seems totally fine value based on precedent. It's not like Horvat is even elite; I'm sure some teams understand what shooting % means. The Islanders are the ones who look like morons. But then I just remembered the Flyers gave up similar value to rent Risto, and now I want to power drill my brain.

The most weirdly maligned sub-generational prospect I've ever seen. Everyone was, is, and will be better than him. He's only the best u23 forward in the league -- top 5ish period, at age 21. Bit tangential, but perusing the main forum, I've seen Bedard/Hughes comparisons laughed at, like their potentials aren't even ballpark. I'm just confused how much better they think he'll be than a player whose value, according to Dom L., is pegged at $16 mil -- with only McDavid and Tkachuk (who I definitely wouldn't take over Hughes, let alone with their ages) valued higher. Is this heresy? To me, saying a player has $16MM value potential seems like the highest of high praise.

Says a lot that Fletcher looks up to the Islanders and sees a thing he wants to emulate.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Doesn’t seem like the Isles gave up anything outlandish if they re-sign him.

By that token, I doubt Vancouver was going to get a better offer for a guy who is set to be a UFA.

Fine for both sides, unless Horvat ends up only a rental for the Isles.

Reactions: BernieParent

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think it's a good trade for Vancouver.

It's probably not good for NY, but it is a good trade for their GM who can't have many years left and only cares about trying to win right now. He doesn't care if a massive 8 year extension for Horvat screws the team long term. He won't be around to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad