Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: "The March is On" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Vegas is better than Minnesota and St. Louis. Colorado and Vegas are to close to call. Both teams are elite.

Call me crazy but I don’t think any team in the Flyers division could hang with the Avs, Blues, or Wild, all 3 of the teams play fast and are just structured way better than any team in the Flyers division

Crazy lol AVS yes .... Vegas debatable and Minny for sure,... We are in the toughest division in the league by far. People seem to forget that. Washington, Boston, NYI and Pitt are all top 12 teams and the NYR despite a slow start are one of the up and coming teams in the NHL.

We would make the playoffs in any other division because the season would've never snowballed like it did.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I think there's going to be bidding wars next week.... too many teams are 1 or 2 players away from being Cup contenders in their minds.

Boston, Wash, Pitt all have aging teams that could go all in for one of their last runs at the cup (and should)

TB, Colorado, Toronto, Carolina, Florida, Vegas, Edmonton and Winnipeg all might feel one more player can put them in a position for a long run

Not many teams clearly selling .. could be real interesting imo.. Big issue is cap room , teams will have to be creative. Honestly we would get a gold mine if Jake and JVR were in their last seasons of their contracts and the team wanted to move on. Almost everyone needs a legit top 6 forward and there's just not many available at all problem is most teams don't or can't take salary next season + ED

Reactions: Curufinwe

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
What’s with all this praise for the Blues? In the same amount of games played their points, goal differential, and points percentage are worse than the Flyers. They’re 20th in the league and have like a 35% chance at the playoffs now or thereabouts.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
how bout NOT eating 50% of a salary a guy who isnt even working for you anymore as a start.

The Sixers NBA finals run will cover that money.

Does it really matter though? Really a big difference in paying Palmieri and Zajac to play elsewhere for a month? Helps the tank effort. You get the 1st and 4th (decent shot at a 3rd) too for guys that were gonna walk. What would be fair? Maybe a 2nd instead of a 4th?

Reactions: Petr Svoboda Mullet

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I think it’s a great trade for both teams. NJ gets a 1st in a year where nobody can scout properly and a bunch of minor adds. Those two are perfect NYI/Trotz players I would think. NJ had no use for them, NY should go for it.

In an ideal world you get like another 2nd or two if you’re NJ, but it’s not an ideal world.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I think it’s a great trade for both teams. NJ gets a 1st in a year where nobody can scout properly and a bunch of minor adds. Those two are perfect NYI/Trotz players I would think. NJ had no use for them, NY should go for it.

In an ideal world you get like another 2nd or two if you’re NJ, but it’s not an ideal world.
Yeah I think it seems fine for both sides. Like @LegionOfDoom91 said maybe NJ was too eager to pull the trigger on something and accepted a little less but who knows with the weirdness of this season.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012

If the Islanders can continue to have that team first mentality and gel they are a legit contender. Team is deep and plays physical.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Bored so I thought I'd list my rankings for the Cup

Avs, Leafs (because their in the North), TB, Washington favorites

Vegas, NYI, Carolina teams that are just as good as top 4 but don't quite get the recognition

Boston, Pitt , Blues (if they even make it) wouldn't surprise if they went on a run but it's doubtful

Minny, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Habs long shots that need some momentum and surprises to lift them through

Florida- miracles sometimes do happen but really? nah

Flyers- Golfing unfortunately

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

Phoenix forfeits their first round pick, so even if the Isles win NJ is making the 31st pick.

Unless the NHL does something weird like have there be an unused blank pick where they Coyotes were supposed to go.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
This year is so odd being that you only play in your division. First off, right off the bat, I think whoever makes it out of the North, they are in for a rude awakening. Zero defense is played in that division. So when they play a tight checking team, it will give them fits. Likely Toronto.
The East is by far the slowest skating division. They play the slowest game, but have some talent. I think whoever makes it out of the East will be blitzed by the speed of the West division.
I think the Avs are winning this year. I like Mack, they just need to figure out the goaltending because I don’t trust their current goalies. But such a weird year, I think we will see some quick series.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Phoenix forfeits their first round pick, so even if the Isles win NJ is making the 31st pick.

Unless the NHL does something weird like have there be an unused blank pick where they Coyotes were supposed to go.

Or just end up giving them back a pick like they did with the devils.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How often does that actually happen though? Once a guy is traded, moved out of the area, and on a new team for a few months, he'll likely have moved on from the original team. If Laughton is traded then he'll either re-sign with that team or cash out with whoever offers him the most, which I don't expect to be us.

Why do you want to hold on to him at the deadline if you don't think he'll sign here anyway?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Any scale that has Palmieri as a 92 is way out of whack.

Consistent Goal-scoring is still the rarest, most valuable single skill. When you take measures that factor in Goals/Finishing, a player like Palmieri is going to show much better than he would in something like xG.

He's fallen off significantly this year, so if you take just 2021, he wouldn't be anywhere close to this. Notice that the charts quoted are of a 3 year sample. So adjust that based on whether you think he's cooked or just going through a bad streak.

He's also an excellent PP scorer, so more of his value may be tied to PP time than some other players. This is part of why the Islanders were such a commonly-suggested good fit.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Islanders had the league's 25th best record after Christmas last season and were going to miss the playoffs. Only a Covid outbreak got them in.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Kind of amazing that with just 1 single move, Lou aggressively pursuing and bringing in Trotz, the Isles went from a joke to a perennial contender and first class organization again.

Meanwhile, we are shit.

Well, it's also because the previous coach was a wack job who tried to push an offense first system on an organization that had built around defense and physical play for a couple decades. So Trotz merely had to do a reset.

Strange thing was Islanders did tank, 2009: #1 JT, #12 De Hann; 2010: #5 Niederreiter [traded for 3rd rd pick and Clutterback]; 2011: #5 Strome [traded for Eberle], 2012: #4 traded for #15 (Barzal) and 2nd rd; 2014: #5 Dal Colle.
Meanwhile they draft Nelson #30, Cizikas #92, Lee #152, Pelech #65, Pulock #30, Mayfield #34, Toews #108, Beauvillier #28.

Go figure.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Why do you want to hold on to him at the deadline if you don't think he'll sign here anyway?

I don’t think that. I think we won’t know how Laughton fits into our plans until after the expansion draft

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, it's also because the previous coach was a wack job who tried to push an offense first system on an organization that had built around defense and physical play for a couple decades. So Trotz merely had to do a reset.

Strange thing was Islanders did tank, 2009: #1 JT, #12 De Hann; 2010: #5 Niederreiter [traded for 3rd rd pick and Clutterback]; 2011: #5 Strome [traded for Eberle], 2012: #4 traded for #15 (Barzal) and 2nd rd; 2014: #5 Dal Colle.
Meanwhile they draft Nelson #30, Cizikas #92, Lee #152, Pelech #65, Pulock #30, Mayfield #34, Toews #108, Beauvillier #28.

Go figure.
Tanking and being an awful franchise are different. The Islanders didn’t tank for 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad