Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVIII: The Liaison of Doom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
7-6 Kings @ Wild 8 minutes to go.
3-1 Flames @ Oilers 8 minutes in.

Goalfests.

4-1 Flames after 10 minutes. Campbell gets the rest of the night off.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Sorry, I'm just a stupid fan.

Do poor defensive players usually make reads like that? Consistently and successfully throughout their careers?

Also, for a guy with cripple knees who can't even move and needed to be traded, I'm surprised he was able to get a breakaway.
Yes they do. When it works it’s amazing like this one did. When it doesn’t well they are short handed so they were going to get scored on. Plays like that show how bad he has gotten defensively. Not what your trying to say

• Haha
Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Picking 8th doesn’t really concern me. You can draft elite talent in that range every draft…..if you target the right guy. That part concerns me, given recent draft history. The Flyers dismissing volume and only making 5-6 picks each draft concerns me; with the tax man still to collect on our future 2nds; with questionable organizational depth and fit picks a priority. Hell, you can draft 38th and get a high end player quite regularly. The Flyers could’ve in recent seasons, without hindsight.

They can get the 2nd pick, 5th pick, 8th pick. If the rest is a mess, it doesn’t matter. And if the rest is reason for optimism, so can be an 8th overall pick. You really can only control so much if you’re in that range. Even the worst of the worst can only guarantee a 3rd overall. And the 2nd worst less than that.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yotes are starting like 20 out of the first 24 on the road. Pittsburgh and Boston is a rough way to begin a trip. I feel for the players having to play in a barn that may hold 5k.
At least their building shouldn't be half empty for once. The atmosphere should be much better.

Reactions: Skull Knight

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Yotes are starting like 20 out of the first 24 on the road. Pittsburgh and Boston is a rough way to begin a trip. I feel for the players having to play in a barn that may hold 5k.
That schedule is totally the fault of the organization and the NHL front office. The club should have been moved out of Phoenix over a decade ago. No fans and no place to play. Even if they sucked and got Bedard it wouldn't change a thing.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
That schedule is totally the fault of the organization and the NHL front office. The club should have been moved out of Phoenix over a decade ago. No fans and no place to play. Even if they sucked and got Bedard it wouldn't change a thing.
It's a shame really because if that organization was better run, they'd probably have a realistic chance at signing Matthews. That could be a game changer for them.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Bettman would have them playing in a high school rink before moving them out of Arizona

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Picking 8th doesn’t really concern me. You can draft elite talent in that range every draft…..if you target the right guy. That part concerns me, given recent draft history. The Flyers dismissing volume and only making 5-6 picks each draft concerns me; with the tax man still to collect on our future 2nds; with questionable organizational depth and fit picks a priority. Hell, you can draft 38th and get a high end player quite regularly. The Flyers could’ve in recent seasons, without hindsight.

They can get the 2nd pick, 5th pick, 8th pick. If the rest is a mess, it doesn’t matter. And if the rest is reason for optimism, so can be an 8th overall pick. You really can only control so much if you’re in that range. Even the worst of the worst can only guarantee a 3rd overall. And the 2nd worst less than that.

Moving outside of the top few picks takes a club more away from consensus players, and closer yet to internal evaluation selections.

It would be hard for a team so concerned about optics, to go off the board with a top 3 pick for example. Not impossible - because it is the Flyers, but there is just more room for error when they rely more on their crackhead scouting department.

I understand your premise, on a team with a decent FO, analytics/scouting/developmental staff - being able to find talent outside of near guaranteed spots should be more of a possibility.

I strongly fear them moving into an 8th range. For this team that’s filled with the Gauthier’s, and York’s of the world. Playing “better” is a nice thing for this season, but it matters not if they don’t get a star from this draft.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Drafting is a real hit and miss proposition. Sure the Flyers have had their flops but most every other club does as well. Picking physically immature eighteen year olds and projecting what they’re going to be in seven years is tricky business. Then there is the mental maturity side of the equation which is equally difficult to predict.
Nolan Patrick being a bust has caused many of us to be critical of the Flyers’ drafting. Makar was there but rejected; an unfortunate thing. However NJ did as well and Hischier hasn’t been a franchise changer either. It goes back to drafting being a real crap shoot even at the top of the round.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Drafting is a real hit and miss proposition. Sure the Flyers have had their flops but most every other club does as well. Picking physically immature eighteen year olds and projecting what they’re going to be in seven years is tricky business. Then there is the mental maturity side of the equation which is equally difficult to predict.
Nolan Patrick being a bust has caused many of us to be critical of the Flyers’ drafting. Makar was there but rejected; an unfortunate thing. However NJ did as well and Hischier hasn’t been a franchise changer either. It goes back to drafting being a real crap shoot even at the top of the round.

Their drafting is trash. I can die on that altar, as I’m sure there is perhaps evidence to suggest otherwise. For a scouting department that hasn’t had basically a lick of turnover other than men leaving due to age - it’s beyond time to address it.

There is very much a kind of player this scouting staff covets, and it’s a direct reason why other teams continue to infuse creative/dynamic talent frequently into the league, and the Flyers struggle mightily.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
They don't even project the right aspects of their game. The Flyers don't emphasize the growth of skill in their projections. All they project is size and shot

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Their drafting is trash. I can die on that altar, as I’m sure there is perhaps evidence to suggest otherwise. For a scouting department that hasn’t had basically a lick of turnover other than men leaving due to age - it’s beyond time to address it.

There is very much a kind of player this scouting staff covets, and it’s a direct reason why other teams continue to infuse creative/dynamic talent frequently into the league, and the Flyers struggle mightily.
Most of all their drafting has been hurt by the changes in management and coaching. Hextall had a plan to emphasize getting goalies and defensemen first; then go for forwards later. Unfortunately he was short circuited.
IDK what Fletcher wants. It seems to be size and shooting ability. That’s all well and good but if they have skating issues in today’s game it won’t work. The organization across the board has to recognize where the game is today and draft accordingly. Right now that seems to be athleticism not merely strength or size or shooting ability alone.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad