NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Wait a minute. Is Luchanko seriously going to make the Flyers? Serious question - I haven't been paying any attention.
He's on the opening night roster, yeah. The signs were there all pre-season that the Flyers were going to keep him around deep into camp or into the regular season.

Hopefully he gets sent back down before the 10th game.

He had some fun shifts with Farabee and Brink in the pre-season games. I'd like to see that trio together while Luchanko is around. I have a suspicion that Brink might be one of the odd men out with Deslauriers as the two extra forwards, though.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Yes. Flyers am dumb.
1728349996537.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd let him walk. At some point you're sacrificing your cap to a player with a 50/50 chance of going south in 3-4 years. As good as he is, is he the best goalie in NHL history?

Even Lundqvist eventually broke down.

Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This goalie market is insane. Bob finally wins one and we gotta copy that now? What's going on?

Goalies are the most one-dimensional players on the team. There's a hard limit on their cap utility. I am certain a goalie has to be very clearly above his peers to warrant star forward levels of pay, because even if they stop all the pucks ever, they'll still bleed out if they can't score enough because their cap hit lessens depth in front of them.

A big goalie contract means you better be very good at winning in the margins, drafting, and developing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with goalies isn't their value, but their inconsistency.
They're obviously the most important player on a team, a bad goalie can sink a good team.
But how many goalies play at a high level for most of a decade?

I think the physical demands of the position causes many to break down, especially if they're overused (60+ games a season) and not given enough time to heal.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
But how many goalies play at a high level for most of a decade?

Quick, Rinne and Lundqvist are one's that come to mind in recent history

Quick though was younger during that run (Early 20's thru early 30's) while Lundqvist also started young and stayed good until mid 30's

Rinne started a little later then both of them in his run but was still good into late 30's

Shesterkin is about to be 29 and has been mediocre recently. He really only had one elite season in NHL

I think Rangers would be making huge mistake signing him to that deal and should be thankful he rejected them. They should start planning for post Shesterkin era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad